5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Steve
February 15, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some recommendations. I just started skiing this year. I'm thinking about buying skis when they go on clearence for next year (bought boots last week).

Any recommendations? I'm 6' 250 lbs 49 years old, never gonna do moguls, terrain parks etc. Just want a decent pair of skis that will be used 5 to 8 times per season for a few years.

Any help will be appreciated.

Steve
Jim
February 15, 2006
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Steve - best bet for you may be to talk to some of the sale reps selling skis. You'll have to cut through the sales pitches, but there are a few knowledgeable salespeople out there. Ski Center in Uptown DC is not bad. There's also a place out in Leesburg (can't recall the name) that's pretty straight shootin'. The other option is to wait for a ski swap next fall where there are usually a few hidden deals amongst all the used skis for sale.

Good luck!
warren
February 16, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Steve,
I can tell you that I have had GREAT experiences with the folks at Willis Ski Shop in Fairfax, Va. I went there to get my daughter outfitted. They spent the necessary time talking to her and trying on several pairs of boots (she wears a women's size 8) before settling on a particular pair. She already knew what skis she wanted so there was no issue there. Then, Greg included a pair of Womens Tyrolia SL110 bindings (the top model in the SL series) in her Junior package They seem interested in gaining and keeping customers vs just making a sale.

-Warren-
Steve
February 16, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Warren, gpdave, and Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of between Ski Chalet in G-burg and Ski Raquet in Olney so Fairfax is kind of far. I used to have lunch twice a week in the shopping center where Ski Center is located, but don't get down there anymore.

I just bought boots from Ski Chalet and they had to blow out the toe area of the boots to fit my feet. I was impressed by that, but they seem a little disorganized in other areas like the repair shop.

I'll shop around the next few weeks and see if anybody seems more knowledgable. I went to the expo in Dulles in October and received a free subscription to Skiing Mag, but it's too late in the year for a real gear issue.

Thanks guys, off to Wisp tomorrow, hope there's some snow that hasn't melted.

Steve
comprex
February 17, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

One -style- of skis that both those shops will carry is the mid-fat all-mountain twintip.

Yes, you won't do moguls or a terrain park, consider that they are a budget-priced alternative to all-mountain carvers with some powder ability for those away days.

K2 Fujative
Volkl Dogen
Rossi Scratch/Sprayer
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?