DCSki ID Ribbon
24 posts
14 users
4k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have suggested to Scott that we adopt a DCSki ID ribbon that could be attached to the straps or directly to the ski poles of anyone who might want to be identified with DCSki. The jacket pins are great, but hard to see. I would suggest that silver and blue ribbons tied to our pole straps might be a great way to id fellow DCSkiers.
Has anyone seen this done elsewhere? Is there a product that can be purchased that result in the desired result?
The Colonel
bassfish
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
Yah that would be cool, except snowboarders dont use poles. What about some sort of lift ticket holder or somthing like that???
skier219
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
What about stickers? Perhaps a small sticker with the DCski logo? Those could go on helmets for people that wear them. Or perhaps even on skis or poles. I like the idea of stickers better than ribbons.

It may be hard to find a single identifying item that works for everyone all the time in all weather, if it attaches to clothing. Skis/poles are probably a little easier to target.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I think an inexpensive white (or black) knit cap with a large, bold version of the blue and gray logo on it would be a good identifier. I have a DCSki ball cap that I sometimes wear on fair weather days, but it's the old logo and is not real legible from a distance. A lot of people know about DCSki now, but it's still not easy meeting up on the hill without a pre-appointed time & place.

Oops, just saw sticker/helmet post. That sounds good for people who don't mind using with old helmets.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
bassfish
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
Yeah I like stickers too. Maybe get 2 one for the your board or skis and one for your car or truck. =)
jimmy
January 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

...... A lot of people know about DCSki now, but it's still not easy meeting up on the hill without a pre-appointed time & place.

Sometimes it's not easy even when you do have time and place set, eh Kim? Slight move off topic, there's a new "holiday" weekend all dcskiers should know about, Fairfax county break. I've NEVER seen a crowd like that at timberline.
JohnL
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
How about we duct tape autographed pictures of border babe to our backs?
bawalker
January 30, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Just have her ride up the lift in a bikini and you won't have to worry about where all the DCSki people are at. We'd all be following her.
Swimmer
January 30, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
[quote
Sometimes it's not easy even when you do have time and place set, eh Kim? Slight move off topic, there's a new "holiday" weekend all dcskiers should know about, Fairfax county break. I've NEVER seen a crowd like that at timberline.

aahhhh so that explains it. When I came back from the National Nordic to my car at Canaan, it was just crazy. Tons of hottie young teens looking years beyond their age prancing around in the best snow garb their parents could afford. Not to mention the mob scene at the local beer/liquor/junkfood/gas station scene.

crazy crazy crazy. The good news is that i still found untracked snow in the highlands of Whitegrass and the National Nordic. Come on Jimmy..give up those training heels, come on out away from the crowds

Steve
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 30, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
One thing I considered doing this season is buying a batch of DCSki lanyards (which would allow you to wear lift tickets or passes around your neck, and more prominently show the DCSki name or logo). I didn't get a chance to do this, but might consider this next year as a "gift" for DCSki Supporters.

The problem is that purchasing lanyards (or the DCSki lapel pins) must be done in quantity. The pins cost upwards of $800 to purchase last season, and that cost was barely offset by the amount of donations that have come in to date. I think I have just about broken even. I do have plenty of pins left, but it's essentially taken two seasons before my initial investment in the pins has been recouped. I certainly wasn't hoping to make much extra money from the donations, though, and view the pins as a way of improving community spirit among DCSki readers.

Anyway, I plan to seriously consider the lanyards for next season. I haven't been able to think of too many other economical things that would have as much utility and visibility.

- Scott
JohnL
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

One thing I considered doing this season is buying a batch of DCSki lanyards (which would allow you to wear lift tickets or passes around your neck, and more prominently show the DCSki name or logo). I didn't get a chance to do this, but might consider this next year as a "gift" for DCSki Supporters.

Are you talking about those techie geek (describes myself) things that are used to hold company or government badges?

If so, I'm not certain they would be practical for the slopes. Your neck is the worst place to have something hanging when you're moving at speed (remember those old multi-day passes?), and it's a pain to move the lanyard inside your jacket for the ride down and outside your jacket at the lifts.

Something to consider before spending $$$$.
bawalker
January 30, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
What about those 'vests' that racers wear over the outside of their coats? It's those pull over jersey like vests that normally has the name of the company sponsoring the person along with a pinned on number.
Roy
January 31, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

lanyards (which would allow you to wear lift tickets or passes around your neck

I have a buddy that skis with one of those. Depending on the mountain and the liftie working that day, many places won't allow you to put your lift ticket in those. If you have a season pass, no problem. If you purchase a ticket for the day, many will say something because it's not attached.

You may want to poll the community before buying those.
jimmy
January 31, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
7 Springs gives pass holders a logo lanyard, i see a lot of them with the pass inside the jacket. You can still see the lanyard but you have to pull the pass out if the liftie wants to see it. I wear my pass on my arm but a lanyard would make a good "ribbon".

Swimmer, training heels lol, told my buddy telewhit you guys were trying to free my heels, he just smiled. So you don't get too many hotties out in the BC?
Coach13
January 31, 2006
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
Count me as another vote for the lanyard.
skier219
January 31, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Tried a lanyard for the first few weeks of the season this year, and it was a hassle to pull it out and then tuck it back in every time the liftie wanted to see my pass. Actually, I have yet to find a 100% ideal way to display my season pass that works through gear/clothing changes. Right now, I have it on a key ring that I can attach to different coats/pants as needed.

Craig
kwillg6
January 31, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Right toe, Jimmy! I haven't seen a crowd like that in over 10 years! Next time. I hope.
Swimmer
January 31, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Quote:

So you don't get too many hotties out in the BC?

ooohhhhh didn't say that at all. The eye candy is there, just not in the quanity that Canaan was sporting last weekend. Plus, the quality of the woman that finds her way in the b/c is exceptionally high. A woman willing to put out that effort, posesse those skills, put up with our drooling...you just gotta give her props. The teenyboppers at the resort make awesome window dressing but I have a feeling I'd be stabbing myself in the eye with a fork if I tried to take one on a date. Thank goodness I'm married and don't have to worry about it. I feel sorry for those single guys.

steve
kwillg6
February 1, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Forget the lanyard idea. It would be a hassle. The pins are nice but small...HEY! why don't we just tatoo DCSki accross our forheads (just kidding). I don't know what to suggest except maybe a small oval sticker simular to the resort stickers that we could put on out ski or board which would say DCSki. Something about 2"x1" in black and white or for that matter, why not the DC Ski Logo in a sticker format?
jimmy
February 1, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Maybe something like this?
skier219
February 1, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Maybe something like this?

About half that size would be good for on the slopes.
jimmy
February 1, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Right Craig, that is pretty big, Maybe something the size of those buttons would be perfect.
Gargoyle
February 1, 2006
Member since 01/8/2006 🔗
4 posts
If memory serves me, the small size of the pin is what started this thread.

I love the idea of a lanyard but don't see it working well. A cap with the logo would be great but I already have a few favorite caps.

Perhaps a patch with the logo Craig suggested, larger than the pin but smaller than the sticker, would satisfy the majority.

The patch could be sewn to the garment/location of the member's choice. Maybe you could even get some of those hotties to sew it on for you...
langleyskier
February 2, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I would love the option for a sticker for my helmet. Currently the stickers are much too big (i have one and had to cut the sides in order to fit it on my bumper). Also, selling a pair of two small stickers would be great (one for both ski).

Everyone who is having the pass problem you might consider looking into a jacket wash a pass pouch that is clear. One of my friends has a jacket with one and when we were in Breckenridge this past weekend (they give plastic cards for multi-day) it was very easy for him in lift-lines without having to reach out his pass every time we were at the bottom of a slope.

Or you can get one of these

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.