Is there anything more depressing than...
9 posts
8 users
hockeydave
January 23, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
temperatures in the mid 30's, no leaves on the trees and a cold rain coming down? Everything looks so brown... I need a little brightness from a white, glistening snow. Even a Stiller victory in the AFC Championship only helps a little.
Roger Z
January 23, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yes, there is:

An entire January with temps in the 50s and 60s, everything brown, occasional buds peaking out on trees that are pushed up against buildings, and no end in sight on the 10 day forecast to this obscene weather.

I had a dream last night that the WaPo reported that they had 30 days in January with highs above 50, setting a new record.

Though, to be fair, we got a nice round of unexpected freezing rain last night that built up a little. It seems like the air when the fronts moves in keeps becoming a little colder than expected, the air behind it stays cooler a touch longer. That and the Pacific systems seem to be slowing down. Could be setting us up for- if nothing else- a little fluxuation in temperatures in February. More than anything else, it's the consistency of the mild air that's been hard to handle- both emotionally and for the bases at the local resorts.
MadMonk
January 23, 2006
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Only if you're in Philadelphia with the same weather. I love Philly but it's the most depressing place I've ever spent a winter (or 4).
TLaHaye
January 23, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Quote:

Yes, there is:

An entire January with temps in the 50s and 60s, everything brown, occasional buds peaking out on trees that are pushed up against buildings

Against buildings? I skied TL yesterday, and the trees under the lifts have filling buds. This same weekend last year, temps at the top were -15 (-55 with the wind-chill).
Ullr
January 23, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

Even a Stiller victory in the AFC Championship only helps a little.

Dude, it can always snow. The Steelers win the big game in a couple of weeks, and I can handle hanging up the ski's for the rest of this season. It will snow again, but the way the Steelers play, this chance may never come around again in our lifetime!!!!
SCWVA
January 23, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
......Going to Lowes and they've replaced the snow blowers, rock salt, snow shovels, & fire place stuff with with lawn mowers, gas grilles, & fertilizer.

.....Or what pisses me off more is to listen to the people on the News telling people how they love the warm winter we've had so far and can't wait until spring gets here.

....Or the blooming flowers in the median of the road. Nothing depresses me more than blooming flowers in the middle of winter.

Bring on the snow, 40+ MPH wind, and subzero temperatures. Now that would put a smile on my face.
snowcone
January 23, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
AMEN ... brother. I've had it with the cheery weather persons ... gimme some REAL COLD .. I don't even need snow ... just cold ... enough to blow the stuff and keep it from melting.
fishnski
January 23, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
POWDER TO THE PEOPLE!...Thats a Goodin! It'il(word?) start snowing tue nite & quit sometime thur morn According to NWS up at the WFSA (western front ski areas..SS,TL,Wisp,7sp,BK) not knee deep Utah stuff,but some powder I'm sure....then a turn to real cold 2nd or 3rd of Feb?? Feeling less depressed?
Roger Z
January 23, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quote:

AMEN ... brother. I've had it with the cheery weather persons ... gimme some REAL COLD .. I don't even need snow ... just cold ... enough to blow the stuff and keep it from melting.

The nice thing about living in Blacksburg is that when the cold fronts come through the wind kicks up into the 50-70 mph range. It will make a 20 degree day feel like Siberia. Those are my favorite days to walk home from school...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.