January 18, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
So- how was the MLK weekend? Feel free to vote or add your voice, below:
fishnski
January 18, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Really my vote lies between the top 2...my experience was for Canaan Valley...If it wasn't for the SNOW & wind blowing so hard on Sat it would have been perfect!
David
January 18, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Monday at T-line was just about perfect!!
MichaelB
January 18, 2006
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
RogerZ
I have to stand up and be a man and say: "I'm sorry, I couldn't have been more wrong!" I was moaning and groaning about the lousy January we've had, but the truth is, it looked bad on paper, but in reality, every weekend the temps have plummeted and the snowblowers pulled things out.

I skiied Whitetail on Monday and it was fantastic. I pounded so many runs, I had to crawl back to my car at the end of the day. Extra bonus, when I arrived at 8 a.m. (I was determined to get first tracks) I found out this was my sixth ski on my Advantage card....WAHOOO!!!

So anyway, forgive me for my bad attitude please.....
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
January 18, 2006
2,181 posts
See? It ain't about the weather forecast, it's about what you get out of it that matters... it's all good...
tgd
January 18, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
MichealB: No worries man, I know what you mean. Each week the forecast has been pretty bad; however, the weekend seems to recover and deliver some nice riding - Mid-A style. This weekend coming up has the same profile with the forecast going back and forth rain to rain/snow and back to rain - depending on when you check it. People thought I was crazy friday night at Canaan predicting snow for saturday when it was 58 degrees and raining at 9PM. Mountain weather is crazy though, and I have yet to read a meteorologist who is any good at predicting it. Latest word is finally a pattern break heading our way by the end of the month. Looking forward to arctic temperatures and hopefully some major dumps!

Tom
jimmy
January 19, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

..... I was moaning and groaning about the lousy January we've had, but the truth is, it looked bad on paper, but in reality, every weekend the temps have plummeted and the snowblowers pulled things out.

.....So anyway, forgive me for my bad attitude please.....

Way to go bro, welcome to the Bright Side. No worries about the tude, let's call it reverse physcology, winter returns soon we'll be chasin flake before you know it .
JohnL
January 19, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Quote:

I found out this was my sixth ski on my Advantage card....WAHOOO!!!

Very nice, the Advantage Card saves frequent skiers a lot of money. Sounds like you're already working on free ticket number two!

A bad day at the mountain is always better than a good day at the office.
JohnL
January 19, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Why I voted "A better weekend I could not imagine!"

Saturday: Solitude
Sunday: Alta with snow falling
Monday: Solitude on a blue-bird powder day
Tuesday: Alta

Don't shoot the messenger!
Roger Z
January 19, 2006
2,181 posts
JohnL: bang.
tgd
January 19, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

A bad day at the mountain is always better than a good day at the office.

With exceptions for hypothermia, frostbite, and avalanches... well, at least at my office.
JohnL
January 19, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Quote:

With exceptions for hypothermia, frostbite, and avalanches... well, at least at my office.

At my office, the frostbite I get from the icy stares of my boss upset at the avalanche of paperwork falling off my desk tends to cause hypothermia in my paycheck.
Gargoyle
January 20, 2006
Member since 01/8/2006 🔗
4 posts
7 Springs on Monday was quite nice. Not lots of snow but not many people either. The north side of the mountain was a bit icy but we had fun in spite of it all.
snowcone
January 20, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
John ... were you in SLC this last weekend or are you refering to MLK weekends of the past?
JohnL
January 21, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Quote:

John ... were you in SLC this last weekend or are you refering to MLK weekends of the past?

I was there this past weekend on a bare-bones trip spent skiing the Cottonwoods. My main vacation this year will be in Park City in early March with a bunch of friends.

Sounds like your group was in Park City this past weekend and met up with Crush one day. What areas did you end up skiing?
snowcone
January 21, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Yup .. we were there ... flew in Wednesday night and out Thursday morning [new Soutwest non-stop flight is great]. We did PCR, Deer Valley, and Snow Basin (my favorite) .. we were going to head for Alta Tuesday/Wednesday but the snow scared us off. NEED powder lessons!! ... and some skis other than our ice-slicers. Bob [aka Shadow] has some 1080s so he was just fine, my kid and I are riding Volkl carvers, which just don't have enough waist do powder.

Sooo .. we are looking to expand into some sort of mid-fat. Any suggestions are truly welcome. Experience levels: I'm most comfortable on blue groomers but do the occasional black; my kid, on the other hand, does just fine on everything groomed except bumps and that's on her 'to do' list.. Any recommendations for demoing would be appreciated. We will head back west the 2nd week in March; current plans are Tahoe but might change to Utah; the sales at Cole's and Jans' start about that time so might be good opportunity to save some bucks on the right skis.
JohnL
January 21, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Check out the K-2 t-line lotta luv (119-78-105) or the K-2 t-line phat luv (128-95-78).

If you two ladies ski Vokls, odds are you'll diss K-2 skis (and the phat luv's hot pink color), but you ain't in ice land anymore. Generally speaking, softer skis are better in softer snow unless you are at the pro level. And the hotness factor triples for chicks (of all ages) who can rock on hot pink skis.

For a purely West Coast ski, I've bypassed the mid-fat category all together and now ski Salomon Pocket Rockets (122-90-115). I ski 90 percent ungroomed runs (including bumps), weigh 185 lbs, and am an advanced skier, but I'm comfortable skiing East Coast pow and crud on 65mm skis. Mid-fats are very nice off-piste, but 90+ skis really rock.

Demo the phat luv's. If you or your daughter can handle them on the groomed and bumps, buy them over the mid-fats. They'll make all the difference off-piste and your lives will never be the same.
Crush
January 21, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
Quote:

.... And the hotness factor triples for chicks (of all ages) who can rock on hot pink skis. ... buy them over the mid-fats. They'll make all the difference off-piste and your lives will never be the same.

WORD!!!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.