Last weekend TR
30 posts
13 users
3k+ views
POWPOW
January 17, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Left weds am with a friend from Roanoke and drove up to Sugarbush, VT. Skied at the Bush Thurs, it was warmish and nice soft snow. They had gotten 2-3 inches of new the day before up high and it was wet but skiable and fun. Natural snow trails were skiable but watch out for rocks and bare spots. Ate dinner with some old friends in the valley and drove up late to Jay looking for more natural snow and visit the old stomping grounds. Fri was crystal clear and great views were everywhere. Snow was soft after midmorning and nicer in sunnier areas. Nat snow trails had way better coverage than sugarbush. Left fri night and drove to the AMC at mt Washington, NH. Took AVI I course from Chauvin SAt (it poured down rain all day and 55 degrees, I was glad i was in a classroom). Sun was the outdoor class and the weather had changed dramatically 5 degrees at the base with constant 30 mph winds and gusts to 50 during the day, blowing morning snow accumulating to 6-7" at teh base and up to 12" near the summit (summit weather was -12 and winds at 50-60 mph with overnight gusts around 115 expected ).After a vote about going up to hermit lake being taken and only 4 out of 20 wanting to go we stayed at teh base and did the outdoor exercises there. After the class we skinned up the tucks trail and skied down from Hermit lake on the Sherburne ski trail in 7-10 inches of super light POW on a semi hard frozen crust. Tons of fun. Left mt Washington sun at 4 pm and drove straight through the night and arrived in waynesboro at 5 am, went to my parents house at wintergreen and went to sleep, woke up mon at noon and went skiing the rest of the day with the family. Some of the best snow all weekend was at highlands monday mid afternoon. Time to unload tonight (we truck camped the whole time, so I have a truck full of smelly clothes, sleeping bags, half eaten food ,etc.

And on Thurs this week i fly out to SLC for 5 days!!!
tommo
January 17, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Great report - reminds me of my youth. Carpe Diem!
jimmy
January 17, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Man you are on a roll this month . Decided where you'll be skiing yet?
POWPOW
January 17, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Quote:

Man you are on a roll this month . Decided where you'll be skiing yet?

Alta 1 day
Snowbird 1 day
BC in LCC and BCC 2 days
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Crush
January 18, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
PowPow - hee hee hee you picked a good week.. it's pukin' outside my place right now:
Dumpin' !!!!!
jimboc
January 18, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
Crush - Im heading out there next week - any advice on discounted lift tickets besides canyon sports / garts or smiths grocery??.....looking for Park City, Canyons and maybe deer valley (already have snowbird/alta)
Roger Z
January 18, 2006
2,181 posts
Crush- is that your voice on the video? And didn't that fence behind your place used to be about three feet higher?
Crush
January 18, 2006
1,271 posts
Hey Mon!
yeah it's about 12" higher than before .. wow you are good! It's up to the second rail on the fence so that means 36" in my backyard!!!1 Guess what ... gee I'm gonna be powderskiing tomorrow!

Hey I skied with DCSKI SNOWCONE and family and had a blast at Deer Valley ... what a great group! Thanks a lot Snow, Bob and Moscha ... hey Moscha you're so sweet ;-) ! Wish I could have had more time with 'em (especially Moscha ... errr ok ok ok ..... shut up Crush !)

Peace and SNOW! YEAH!!!!!!!
kennedy
January 19, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
5 weeks and counting. 1 whole week of big mountain ripping in Crushland. Need to bring my baby in for a base grind, edge and wax first though. The freakin stones and death cookies I've been hitting around here have left a few scrapes and my edges could saw logs.
Crush
January 19, 2006
1,271 posts
jimboc - those three sources .. Gart Sports, Smith's and Canyon Sports are probably the best places. You do know about www.skiutah.com ? They often have some bargains but you have to fish around for them on the site.

The only other thing I can think of is you can ski for free at The Canyons if you fly in early enough .... if you get in to Park City and want to ski the day of your travel you just bring the airline ticket you used plus a voucher you can get online to the Skier Services/Concerge desk and you will be issued a lift ticket for free.
Chad
January 19, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
hey i will be in utah next week too. last year i was there over spring break and it never stopped snowing. looks like it could be a repeat?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 19, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The cure for the Mid-Atlantic thaw: Utah.

I pulled the plug as well. Heading out there in two weeks.
Crush
January 19, 2006
1,271 posts
Hey jimboc, Chad, Johnfmh, Kennedy, et. al.
I just got back from The Canyons (sampling some of that powder that fell last night) and saw they have a deal where you pay $100 for two lift tickets, two burger platters and two apre-ski drinks ... a pretty good deal considering the ticket prices and a damn burger costs like $8 !. This lasts 'till Feb 15th. Here is the link:
Canyons Pair Pass
Chad
January 19, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
cool, thanks. i love the canyons, but may not get over there on this trip. my family has use of a condo at solitude, so we may spend all our ski days in big cottonwood.
kennedy
January 19, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
thanks Crush, I'm just missing that. I'm not getting there until the 22nd of Feb. Looks like there are plenty of discounts if you get tix at a local board/ski shop before you head for the hill. I saw that Costco has tickets for the Canyons for $140. That includes 3 lift tix along with a bunch of discounts for rentals, lessons etc. In the meantime I'm loading up on new gear. Just got a new wheelie bag, need to get an insulated camelback to go in my backpack. Might buy different lenses for my gogs so I can switch out based on weather.
January 19, 2006
1,986 posts
I booked a ski and stay package at Canyons so my lift tickets are included in the package, but that is a good deal.

Crush, what are the SECRETS to getting the most out of Canyons. Insider tips are welcome since you are DC's unofficial ambassador to Utah.
SCWVA
January 19, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Feb. 23 trip to either SLC or Tahoe. What are you paying for your airline tickets and with which airline are you flying?

I've seen tickets to SLC out of Dulles for $365 (nonstop) and $282 with one stop.

The tickets to Tahoe(Reno) are running $424 with one stop.
January 19, 2006
1,986 posts
$367 non-stop from DCA via Delta. I was willing to pay a little extra for two big conveniences:

--non-stop flight
--DCA departure

I use www.kayak.com
jimmy
January 19, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Crush, what are the SECRETS to getting the most out of Canyons. Insider tips are welcome since you are DC's unofficial ambassador to Utah.

john, Crush IS the secret .
kennedy
January 19, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I might buy the 3 pack. My buddy and I could use two and sell the third. $46 is pretty cheap for a lift ticket for the Canyons so I'm sure I could get rid of it.

I've pretty much got my itinary in my mind. It looks like this Brighton, Snowbird, Solitude, Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Canyons/Park City (I'm torn, if we get there early enough on day of arrival I might hit one that day and one another day). The trip is working out reasonably affordable. We have flights from Dulles to SLC, 1 week in a nice hotel in SLC (Little America) for about $600 each. Car will set us back another $100 each (I have coupons for free double upgrades) then lift tix and entertainment. All in all it will be a little over $1000 but well worth it.
tomimcmillar
January 19, 2006
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Quote:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Feb. 23 trip to either SLC or Tahoe. What are you paying for your airline tickets and with which airline are you flying?

I've seen tickets to SLC out of Dulles for $365 (nonstop) and $282 with one stop.

The tickets to Tahoe(Reno) are running $424 with one stop.

I've just started shopping for Tahoe tickets and have found roundtrip from BWI to RNO in the low to mid $300 range, one layover, usually in Pheonix for an hour or two. Check Orbitz or Travelocity, TV looks 10 to 20 bucks cheaper for the same flights.
Crush
January 19, 2006
1,271 posts
Quote:

Quote:

john, Crush IS the secret .

Lol Jimmy !
John - well as Snowcone will tell you I don't know the names any runs I just know "hey let's go through gate off the trail to the left of Peak 5 and ski that!". The way to get the maximum is to run on all the stuff that is not well marked or popular .. like I found a secret place off of Super Condor that had one track on it and it was all mine for 1,000' of vert ... oh yeah!!!! Well give me a shout if you are in town I can show you what you want.
Roger Z
January 19, 2006
2,181 posts
Ok- we need a headcount again of who is going to be out in Park City in early March. I'm going to be there from the 5th to the 10th (flying in on the 4th and leaving out on the 11th). Who else was gonna be there at that time? Jimmy? JohnL? I think KevR was headed for the Cottonwoods. We need to get a get-together together at the Canyons that week.

I'm going with the Silver Pass, I do believe. Will give me the chance to avoid Park City on Sunday (think it might be crowded) and try all three resorts out. Hard to beat that!
KevR
January 19, 2006
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
as it stand now RZ -- Feb 25-Mar2 ... although there's a small chance we'll extend... cottonwoods ho!
Crush
January 19, 2006
1,271 posts
.. I know some really good sh!t at Snowbird too but it's sub-genious-extreme so be prep'd ... I know a few wacky lines at Alta too .. my only advice is to go for the hairball stuff and you'll have a good time ... maybe I should write a book ... Crush's lines-n-finds .. lol what a hoot.
jimmy
January 19, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
March 3-10 for me
JohnL
January 19, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Provided my boss doesn't blow a gasket since my task order has a recompete a little afterwards, I'll be skiing March 2 - 11 (11th is a partial day.) Mar 2 - 8/9 Park City canyon, including day trips to Snowbasin and Pow Mow, Mar 8/9 - 11 the Cottonwoods. My group (mixture of skiers and boarders) will probably ski Deer Valley either Sat the 4th or Sun the 5th. It's a good place to avoid the weekend crowds. I'm guessing we'll hit the Canyons 1-2 days that trip.

If my boss blows a gasket, I'll be in Utah until Apr 1, and will be paving roads starting Apr 2.

Isn't comprex also out in Utah that time?

Crush, in what sections of Alta are your sick lines? I'm learned some Alta secrets myself the past two winters by skiing with some passholders and by doing some 'sploring this past weekend.
Crush
January 19, 2006
1,271 posts
Quote:

Crush, in what sections of Alta are your sick lines? .....

JohnL -
Think Glory Hole .... just do the traverse past the top of Germania and when you spot the crown off to your right ski over to it and keep up high ... pick something ... you'll like it I know you!!!!!
Roger Z
January 19, 2006
2,181 posts
OK guys- it's Jimmy, JohnL, maybe Comprex, and naturally Crush (Crush- you should adopt that as your nickname: "Naturally Crush") in P.C. this early March. Seems like we've got two options. I like the March 5th plan for Deer Valley- could meet with JohnL there but he'll be with his group. I was thinking either March 8th or 9th at the Canyons as well. We could go scour out some relatively sick lines (I have a "no mandatory jumps greater than five feet" rule).

Dang... still two months away... JohnL if you get a job with a road crew this April put in a good word for me...
kennedy
January 20, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'll try to leave you guys some untouched lines but I can't promise anything
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?