Skiing while intoxicated
31 posts
18 users
6k+ views
bawalker
January 6, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I saw this and made me realize Roger isn't the only one that skis down off of Cupp backwards, drunk and tossing a football around. I guess this means he too has a chance of winning gold.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10727859/
fishnski
January 6, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
He needs rehab! He has lost his judgement obviosly. He probably had a buzz during the interview...he is heading for a big crash!! I've been there,done that..had my lift ticket clipped.One of the best parts about skiing is the buzzz you get AFTER a hard days skiing...it has no place on the slopes.
TLaHaye
January 6, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Quote:

He needs rehab! He has lost his judgement obviosly. He probably had a buzz during the interview...he is heading for a big crash!! I've been there,done that..had my lift ticket clipped.One of the best parts about skiing is the buzzz you get AFTER a hard days skiing...it has no place on the slopes.

I'm afraid you're right about rehab. Is Bode merely a more capable Bill Johnson?
Ullr
January 6, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
The only time I ski drunk is from the deck of the Foggy Goggle down the magic carpet slope to the hotel................
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
gatkinso
January 6, 2006
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Seems like a real bad idea to me.
kwillg6
January 6, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
been there, done that, have the scars to prove it....only, I wouldn't do it again. How many of you have been "taken out" by a intoxicated skier after he/she pounded a few down in the late afternoon sun? ( and I don't mean a date) My worst crashes occcured due to other's mistakes, not mine. Bodie needs to temper his tounge. There are too many young skiers who look up to him and the example he sets.
Roger Z
January 6, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Oh heck. I'm old enough now that I associate being drunk with hangovers, and I can't imagine moving from my couch when I'm hung over, much less skiing.

A good buzz, on the other hand...
bawalker
January 6, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
What fun is it Roger when you aren't out on the slopes pretending to be Marcus Vick, burgundy jersey draped over your shoulders trying to scramble past defensive linemen. Except that 3' oak isn't a linebacker from WVU...

JohnL
January 6, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

What fun is it Roger when you aren't out on the slopes pretending to be Marcus Vick, burgundy jersey draped over your shoulders trying to scramble past defensive linemen. Except that 3' oak isn't a linebacker from WVU...

Roger Z. has been suspended for the upcoming ski season for stepping on the leg of a lift attendant at Wisp after the liftie had slipped to the ground.

If Bode skis while intoxicated, maybe Marcus plays football while intoxicated?
Roger Z
January 6, 2006
2,181 posts
Quote:

Roger Z. has been suspended for the upcoming ski season for stepping on the leg of a lift attendant at Wisp after the liftie had slipped to the ground.

Dang, John, you beat me to the punchline I was about to deliver. Though I don't think Marcus plays football while intoxicated. It was ironic that they were interviewing his brother, who was talking about how he helped Marcus work through some "troubles" as a child, as Marcus was trying to do a square dance on that guy's leg.

If Va Tech keeps that b.s. up, I won't be rooting for them much longer. And, while we're on an Untopic, I was watching ESPN when I stopped for dinner last night and all three commentators put WVU in the top 5 for the 2006 football season.
Murphy
January 6, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Sounds like we may not have to worry about Marcus Vick's antics anymore. He was just arrested...again. He was arrested for driving on the license he had suspended from when he was caught in position of pot. The suspension actually ended a year ago but he never renewed his license. Not the worst offense in the world but VT said he'd be gone if he ever did ANYTHING again.
CavalierLion
January 6, 2006
Member since 09/22/2005 🔗
5 posts
Anyone remember that pub halfway down the slopes at Killington? Max's pub or something of the sort

I remember going there with some buddies back in mid to late 80's near the end of the day one time. For some reason we got the idea to do shots of wild turkey and ended up getting a tad blitzed. There was no way out of that place but to ski down the rest of the mountain. My buddies were pretty decent skiers (they raced on their college teams) and wouldn't touch greens, so it made for an interesting "race" down the slopes, which were pretty much abandoned by then. (I believe the lifts were closed by the time they sent us on our way). (Also, skiing into what appears to be a deserted base after the lifts close is always interesting - especially before cell phones existed).

Looking back it probably wasn't smart, but back then we were young and invincible. Now, it makes for a good story - but none of us would do it again as for some reason it now hurts when we wreck.

As for Bode, I wouldn't worry too much about what he says. Only hard core skiers pay attention to what he reads. And these folks are generally nuts anyways.
Roger Z
January 6, 2006
2,181 posts
Actually, Marcus Vick is gone:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=...p&type=lgns

Given his reprehensible behavior in the Gator Bowl, all I can say is three cheers for the school administration. It takes a lot of guts to be able to do something like this to a talented player. What's a shame is that Marcus Vick *was* a good player. He was also a jerk, and got what's coming to him.

Maybe next year we'll have a leader that instills a sense of sportsmanship rather than thuggishness in his fellow team members.
Kris
January 6, 2006
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Roger...Check out espn.com and look near the bottom of the page...You'll see 2006-2007 pre season polls....The espn guys put WVU 3rd behing Texas and ohio state...

How bout them apples!!!!
Crush
January 6, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
hmm well actually ... moi ski intoxicated? Nah! I only did it once at 7 Springs on Goosebumps it was interesting but I didn't really like it. I know guys that ski high (I know a dude that ski races high!) and I know people that ski drunk but it's not for me I like to get the undistorted feedback ... if I ski high on weed it just amplifies all my sense so I can't tell if I'm a little out of balance or a lot so I don't like that. And booze just makes me ski crappy so I don't do that either. Afterwards, though .. that is another story!

On the other hand I ski almost every day hung-over a certain amount but that does not count !
POWPOW
January 6, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
yeah, no drunk skiing. WAY TO DANGEROUS! i do however like to shoot speedballs and snork crank though .
fishnski
January 7, 2006
3,530 posts
Speed freak, huh Pow pow? No PCP,THC,MDA...DOA? Man...That combo would be the worst case scenerio for hungover skiing! Bieng 45 now I remember the early days at Liberty night skiing where every 3rd chair or so you would see someone lifting a flask to thier mouth.It was the norm...It warmed you up.Then for the next 20 years Me & my crew ALWAYS skied intoxicated on about every concoxtion known to man & nature.One day ,not too many years ago someone brought up the fact that they had skiied straight & it wasn't so bad & that we should try it.We were shocked! Anyway it caught on & i have only had 1 relapse on the slopes,& that was up at Beech Mtn,nc where i recieved a broken rib running into a snowboarder....his fault, but with quicker sober reactions I could have just missed him.
bawalker
January 7, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
That explains everything!!!!
MadMonk
January 7, 2006
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I never skied drunk but I will say that riding a bike drunk is pretty hard too. Watch out for those pesky rear view mirrors sticking out from the sides of parked cars.
MangyMarmot
January 7, 2006
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
I have to say that beer makes just about everything in life better. Watching a crummy football game between say the Jets and Bills? Toss back a few (lot) and it looks like the Superbowl.
Watch Saturday Night Live sober, it's stupid. After a bunch of beers you might laugh.
Ummmm, near closing time at the bar, well, you know, everybody looks realllllly nishe.
And I actually like to ski after one or two beers (yeah, yeah, I saw the story in the Post about how every drunk driver who blows .26 says he/she had two beers.) But if I catch a late lunch and have a pint or two, the last couple hours are mellow, relaxing and nice. I HATE skiing after any more than that though, cuz I feel all sloppy.

Does anybody know if you can get a DUI on skis? I know you can lose a license for biking while drunk.

And, how bout those Skins... Up 17-3 at the moment.

WOOO WOO

mm
fishnski
January 8, 2006
3,530 posts
Yes,so be nice.....I'm one of those "special" people now! My name is Andy, I'm kind of handy,I like to where a cap...that makes me Handycapped.....
POWPOW
January 9, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
What did Homer Simpson say? "Alcohol is the source and the answer to all of mans problems"
warren
January 9, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Well,
I believe that skiing under the influence is insane! It should also be illegal and punishable via jail-time just as driving under the influence is. Anyway, like many here have said, AFTER skiing, I enjoy chilling out at the condo and tossing back some cold ones

-Warren-
bawalker
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
"Hi there, I am a speeecial friend..."

I agree. The other year at Wisp I was followed off of Boulder Run by about 3-5 teenagers who obviously had too much to drink AND were drinking while they were riding. What bothers me is that jerks like that tend to be less than lucid and tried following me after I passed them on the "U" turn as if they wanted to catch up to me and haggle me. I was straight lining it as fast as possible off of there down to Belly Flop and the main lodge. They were long gone before I could report them to ski patrol.

What bothers me the most is the fact that most who drink on the slopes probably do it in excess leading to lack of judgement calls on diamonds. Preferably I'd not want to have my ACL's ripped up after some drunk skiier or boarder collides with me trying to make big GS turns on Devils Drop. heh
Swimmer
January 9, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Punishable with jail time? Here at work the other day a teenage driver was witnessed by multiple drivers to be driving fast and reckless. He was witnessed losing control of his vehicle, jumping the curb, running into a bus stop where a teenage female was sitting. She was crushed under his car, killed instantly.

He was sober, found reckless, ticketed, and released.

My point is about perspective. Let's make the punishment fit the crime. A person gets hurt at a ski area while intoxicated, have them pay a pre set rescue fee fine. ie: $500 for a toboggan based rescue. Suspend them from skiing there for a period of time, take their season pass if they have one. But jail time? Who would come to your ski area if you threatened jail if you got drunk while skiing? Judging from the amount of beer cans I see tossed on the ground below the lift line I would venture to say there are a lot more drinkers on skis than you may expect. Here locally some of the ski areas are dry. These areas are the exception in the sport. Most places I have been to sell alcohol on premise.

Jail time? harsh man.
bawalker
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Resorts can always do what Germans do on the Autobahn. Ticket a person based on the amount of their wealth and the severity of the crime. If you take out someone's knee and have a net worth of a few million, you pay a $200,000 fine. If you take out someones knee and make $25,000 a year, then you pay $250, or so forth. That is if it's deemed wreckless or malicious skiing to begin with.
Roger Z
January 9, 2006
2,181 posts
My gosh... if we extend that to the net wealth of the parents, then Garrett County might quickly become the wealthiest county in the nation (at least in terms of government receipts).

In other related news, Accident, Maryland would immediately demand that the same rule be apply to people who do 27 in their 25 zone ("$100 every one mile per hour over the speed limit with an additional $10,000 for every $100,000 of net wealth above $200,000. So if you're worth $1,000,000, and you do 30 mph through our town, we can fine you for $90,500. Have a nice day and enjoy the 15 new unsynchronized stop lights we just put in! Be careful with those yellow lights- they're awfully short!").
bawalker
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hey, governments are always complaining about lack of funds (not that their overspending on pork has anything to do with it...) but why not make every other podunk town have the same traffic speed traps that Wardensville does? lol
kennedy
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I know too many people who brag about being drunk while riding, or doing a run then having a beer, doing a run having a beer. I'm not a fan of the idea. If you're doing it right you don't need a beer to make it better, it's as good as it gets without it.
bawalker
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Amen to that!
TLaHaye
January 17, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Quote:

Quote:

I'm afraid you're right about rehab. Is Bode merely a more capable Bill Johnson?

I think the answer to my question is no. Here's a link to a very impressive Newsweek article on Bode. Clearly, he's quite a guy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10856438/site/newsweek/

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?