What is whitetail doing?
19 posts
13 users
3k+ views
langleyskier
January 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
In a normal year whitetail will leave one run (bold decision or exhibition) ungroomed and let moguls form and sometimes let them form on both runs. However, this year it looks like they are even leaving farside (by far my favorite run on the mountain) ungroomed. Why are they doing this?? I love cruising down farside and using the whole run to make turns when there are few skiers on the run and i think it is very odd that they are not grooming ANY expert terrain (not including drop in).

Anyone know why they are doing this and if they plan to groom for this weekend?
comprex
January 5, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Protecting the existing snow from melting. Spreading the snow out would guarantee maximum sun and rain exposure -> less base to make more on. Bad $move$.

'sides slushguls are SO eazy to learn on.
kennedy
January 5, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Maybe they're not grooming for fear of scraping away what little base they have left. Beyond that I'll be miffed if all three black diamonds are moguls. Moguls get in the way of carving and are therefore abhorrant.
comprex
January 5, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

Moguls get in the way of carving

I respectfully but strongly disagree unless one is on 18m+ radius skis.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Mountain Masher
January 5, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
If Whitetail tries to groom at this point, they risk fetching rocks, sod and soil up into the snow base. The snow base needs to be built back up to a reasonable depth before grooming can resume.
KevR
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
All un-groomed seems like a step-up to me, why i don't think i've every experienced that at WT! I still wonder about those VW sized moguls ever making a comeback on BD... ah well.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
2 cold night on tap soon (Friday and Sat). What do you think WT can do to recover in 2 nights?
Reisen
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Quote:

2 cold night on tap soon (Friday and Sat). What do you think WT can do to recover in 2 nights?

I'm thinking blow snow
January 5, 2006
1,986 posts
They can really blow a lot of snow in a short amount of time. It could be a very different Whitetail by Sunday.
MichaelB
January 5, 2006
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
I sure hope they blow major amounts of snow, because short term forecasts for next week are for another warmup. Interestingly if you look at the temps for the past two weeks. The daytime highs are not the problem. They have averaged around normal. Its the overnight lows that are way above normal right now. Next week both daytime and nighttime temps are supposed to get fairly warm.....say upper 50s for a high and mid 40s for a low.
Aaron
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
It'd be great if they blow snow (in general) but I really hope they leave the moguls until atleast saturday.when I'm heading up. I love bumps and will be a bit dissapointed if they're all gone by then...
langleyskier
January 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am fine with a run with bumps (they are nice for a change) however it is very disappointing to loose a nice cruiser like farside to bumps
Roger Z
January 6, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
The only reason Whitetail has any advanced skiing is because of bumps. That said, the big problem with mogul skiing in the Mid-Atl is there is usually only one or two bumped runs on a mountain, so anyone who wants to attempt a mogul run skis the same, "expert only" terrain. This makes the terrain dangerous in ways it shouldn't be- eg avoiding crying seven year old children, things like that.

I'd like to see more intermediate terrain with moguls on it. Gunstock up in NH does this. At Whitetail, they could do this by leaving a portion of, perhaps, Limelight ungroomed so intermediates would have a place to learn.
kennedy
January 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm anti bump. One trail per mountain is enough to waste on bumps.
snowcone
January 6, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
kennedy .. I'm with ya. Too many 'bumped' runs already.

There are lots of 'bumps' on all MidA runs, especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings .. they are called 'never-evers' and 'more-guts-than-brains' and are present in all shapes, sizes and colors. Since they are also moveable, they are much more challenging to negotiate. Once you place these specialty 'bumps' on iced trails, they multiply exponentially and can become static at a moments notice, creating the ultimate in dynamic mogul fields.
January 6, 2006
1,986 posts
The guns are finally blowing....

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/camera.htm
SCWVA
January 7, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Looks like WT blowing snow on the bumps on Exhibition. I hope they don't groom it. The webcams are deceiving thou, I skied Exhibition a bunch today and the bumps are pretty small and spaced a long way apart. WT needs to keep blowing snow on Exhibition, so the bumps get bigger & bigger, & bigger, ......
Maboomba
January 7, 2006
Member since 01/7/2006 🔗
7 posts
Hi everyone - new guy here. I live out in Frederick and I'm in the Terrapin Ski Club at UMD. Just got my first set of skis yesterday (K2 Omni 5.5) at Ski Chalet - tired of renting. I was at Whitetail today from 4p until 9p.

The mountain was in very rough shape. It wasn't a very pleasant trip. The blowers were on after 5p and we were starting to notice a little difference as the night went on. The whole mountain was hard ice with a thin layer of ice granules - no real snow to have fun with. The top third of Exhibition was manageable but then the bottom two-thirds was, again, in dire need of snow. But then again I'm a pretty mediocre skiier so what do I know!
Reisen
January 7, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Congrats on the K2's, sorry about being stuck as a Terrapin (I'm a Blue Devil). I own skis pretty similar to the Omni 5.5's (Apache X's), and they are quality sticks for a reasonable price. Not sure if those are your first skis, but they should serve you well, as they work for a great range from intermediate to expert.

Too bad about WT, as I was considering heading up there this morning, but it looks like a good thing I didn't go.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?