14 posts
9 users
4k+ views
Eug
December 2, 2005
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Hi Everybody,

I used to go to BK when I was single and with a bunch of guys so back then I was less picky about where I stayed. Now I am married with a child and I am little bit more 'selective' about where I stay.

When I say selective, I don't mean extravagant or luxurios. We just want something clean and well maintained. Not a place with 70's shag carpeting or furniture that have hidden black holes or just crappy and cheap stuff all over.

My questions/comments are:

1- It seems that there are better quality and better value houses to stay near Wisp. More choices. Correct?

2- I have never been to Wisp before but it looks like it added more skiable terrain this year. That's why I will like to try it.

3- I like BK but I can't find seem to find nice houses to rent at reasonable prices. Maybe I am not searching correctly. Any suggestions?

I enjoy the skiing part of it but I also enjoy the social aspect of it afterwards in front of the fireplace. Staying at a nice house, IMHO, enhances the whole vacation.

Comments, suggestions, leads, will be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
k_alice
December 2, 2005
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
I don't know if you want to look beyond Wisp and Blue Knob, but it you live in the NOVA suburbs, you might want to consider some other resorts. Wintegreen has very nice slope-side condos - if you stay on Dobie or Diamond Hill, it's nice to have a glass of wine in front of the fire while watching the night skiers. Also, we had a good experience at Snowshoe with our kids - the condo wasn't exactly upscale, but the resort amenities (including outdoor hot tub with waterfall) made it worthwhile. Not to mention great skiing.
tommo
December 2, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Wisp and the Deep Creek Lake area have some of the best and most unique homes east of the major Rocky Mtn ski areas. Everything from your standard condo up to, and including, multi-million $$ homes with indoor pools, extensive rock work, gourmet kitchens, etc... My wife and I frequently enjoy riding our mtn bikes around the lake and near the ski are just to look at the properties. Of course, the more upscale the property, the more upscale the rental, but the variety is indeed impressive.

I would also agree with others that Snowshoe has some excellent properties as well, and now Seven Springs in starting to build some nicer accomodations. With any of those three, you're likely to be happy with the skiing, the other available activites, and the vacation real estate experience. btw, several fine Deep Creek/Wisp rental companies are DCSki advertisers and sponsers, including Railey and Long and Foster. Try www.railey.com and hit Vacation Rentals for more info.....
warren
December 2, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Eug,
First off, Welcome to DCSki!!

I would have to agree with the assesment of Snowhoe for families. We generally stay at either Powderidge or at Treetop. Powderidge is right on a green connector trail. Treetop is just a short walk across the Mountain Lodge parking lot to the top of the Ballhooter lift. After skiing, you can either kick back in the condo or hit the village. From Powderidge the village is about a 10-15 minute walk or you can catch the shuttle-bus. Treetop is just a few minutes right into the heart of the village.

-Warren-
Eug
December 5, 2005
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Thank you for your responses.

I think we might try Wisp this season and check out some of the rentals available around Deep Creek Lake.

Regarding Snowshoe. I drove there once and I just remember how much of a pain it was to get there. I think it took me almost 8 hrs (storm, snow, etc) to get there from Fairfax. The drive was not exactly relaxing. I thought if I did another 2 hours I could be in Vermont. Of course this is my opinion based on 1 trip to Snowshoe but it kind of killed it for me.

Regarding Blue Knob. Can anybody recommend or refer me to nicer rental properties?

Thanks again
kennedy
December 5, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm hitting Wisp this weekend for my first turns of the season. I found a room at the Lake Star lodge for $89/night which is a queen with a pull out sleeper. It also has a fire place. I'll post something on it when I get back, hopefully it's good.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Eug,
I live in West Springfield and generally can make it to Snowshoe in about 4.75 hours. Now if it snows that is a different story, but the same is true if you are going to Vermont and get caught in an East Coast snowstorm...the time to get there will greatly increase.
Trying to keep things in perspective,
The Colonel
gavin123
December 6, 2005
Member since 11/12/2005 🔗
21 posts
Eug,
Blue Knob is a resort that is a Work in Progress. The lodging there is gradually getting better but Wisp and 7Springs are better. If you want to stay at a nice place at BK I would recommend renting from a private owner (like myself) rather than the resort. The private owners obviously take better care of their places and believe me the difference between renting from BK or renting from a private owner is night and day. I sent you a PM with my contact information if you want to know anything else about BK. Bottom line is if you do your homework you can stay at BK just a nicely as you can WISP and the skiing is much better at BK. Good luck with your trip!
warren
December 6, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Eug,
It takes me about 4 hours to get to Snowshoe from south-western Fairfax (Centreville/Clifton). If you decide to try and go again, take 66W, to 81S, to 33W (Harrisonburg), to WV28S, to WV66W (Cass), to the back entrance of Snowshoe (Snowshoe Drive on the right). Although you still have to get through the mountains, 33 is nice and wide, banked the right way and has good wide shoulders.

-Warren-
kennedy
December 6, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
If you follow the directions Snowshoe gives it will take forever even on a good day. I usually go 66 to 81 south, jump off at 55, take that through Wardensville down to Moorefield, then you take 33 south from there to 28 then 66. You end up crossing over the mountains earlier, there's not so much up and down driving and you follow the line of the valley most of the way. It's a lot less painful.
SeaRide
December 6, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
To Snowshoe
I-66 west to I-81 south toward Strasburg
I-81 to VA55 west
VA55 becomes WV55 toward Moorefield
Take WV28-WV55-WV220 South (from Moorefield)
Stay on WV28 WV55
Continue on WV28 WV33 South
Continue on WV28 South
Continue on WV28 WV92 South
turn onto WV66 West thru Cass
to Snowshoe
ps. check the map before you go.
SeaRide
December 6, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Eug
I went searching thru rentals.deepcreek.com and found so many rental condos/townhouses/houses to choose near Wisp. There's plenty of them out there for this weekend. Off-season rate are cheaper.
Two years ago, I have rented one house near Wisp and had a wonderful weekend.
SCWVA
December 6, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
EUG,

Follow Kennedy & Searide's directions to SS, which uses Rt55 in lieu of Rt33. I live in Centreville, VA and over the last 20+ years have tried every East/West route there is to SS. Rt. 55 is the quickest and is an easier ride the any of the other routes. I went up to SS over Thanksgiving and it took less than 4 hours, this included some snow covered roads once you got near SS.
Eug
December 6, 2005
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Thanks again for the great replies.

I am very familiar with the Moorefield area. I used to go backpacking and canoeing in the South Branch of the Potomac near Petersburg, of 220. If I recall correctly, we used to go through Moorefield, pass the funeral home and make a left towards Petersburg. Funny how I remember the funeral home...

I guess I will have to take my head out of the hole and re-visit SS again. I did like it when I was there but the drive... I don't remember which roads we took as it was sometime in the late 80's.

The recent snow that we got got me itching for skiing. I am trying to get to Liberty or Whitetail this Friday night. Hopefully the whole metro DC/Baltimore will not be there.

Thanks again!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.