Wintergreen
15 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Mike2002
November 23, 2005
Member since 01/10/2005 🔗
7 posts
What do you guys think the chances are that Wintergreen Resort is going to open this Saturday, November 26. Their website says its plans on opening Saturday if the weather holds out. So when do they usually make the final decision and what do you guys think the chances are?
Aaron
November 23, 2005
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Well, they say that every year and rarely open then. However, I would say as long as there's no major warm up between now and then, they will open. I had a friend come back from there last week on sat, and they were already blowing tons of snow. Take a look at the picture of eagles swoop on their website today and decide for yourself
langleyskier
November 23, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am just wondering what slopes will be open saturday?
Snowmakers
November 23, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
I was getting ready to ask that.

My guess is upper+lower dobie, Eagles swoop, Tyro. JMO.
Mike2002
November 23, 2005
7 posts
Upper and Lowie Dobie seem to be a sure bet for any opening day. I would also guess that they will open Eagle Swoop; that would make the trip so much more worth it, and I could test out my new skis. I have my doubts about them opening Tyro this Saturday, imo. We shall see.
TLaHaye
November 23, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
That's a pretty impressive picture, especially considering the forecast for the next few days. Looks to me Swoop will be open, but I'd be stunned if they opened Tyro. Tyro picks up too much direct sun.
Aaron
November 24, 2005
54 posts
I'd say upper/lower dobie, and eagles swoop. No way tyro, they don't even have that opened during the mid season sometimes. They might try to get some limited terrain park open (one jump, one rail type thing), according to their website they're blowing in it, and that's a big attraction for all the snowborders, but realistically they're probably just building up a base so they can make jumps because that takes tons of snow. I'll be up at wintergreen tomorrow, and if the conditions are good enough I might grab some runs with a friend and walk up the mountain since they don't plan to open until saturday. Truly first tracks
Mike2002
November 24, 2005
7 posts
If you get back to internet access tomorrow after checking out the mountain then come back here and give us an update if you can. I'd like to know what every thing looks like out there.
Aaron
November 25, 2005
54 posts
Right now I'm at a hotel in charlottesville - I have family here I was with for thanksgiving, but I'm heading up to wintergreen in a few hours, I'll try to drop in the business center and report if I have time.
POWPOW
November 25, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
We came up last night and eagles swoop was still showing water bars but after a VERY cold night we drove down this morning at 8 and it looked REAL good and temp was 10 degrees at 8 am. im sure eagles ,upp, lower dobie will be open.
Imo the guns are set way too dry for making the most of these temps. they have been blowing sugar, stuff you would blow during the day when open NOT what you would want to blow when your trying to open and maximize coverage. water content could be turned up 25-30% especially whith these temps. its still 15 degrees at 10:15. see youall tommorrow for my 4th day this year!! Snowshoe weds was sweet especially early, some pow on the sides and great coverage.
Snowmakers
November 25, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
What did the park look like?
Mike2002
November 26, 2005
7 posts
So I was out at Wintergreen on Saturday, 11/26 for opening day. There was only 1 full mountain slope open; Upper and Lower Dobie. The snow felt good and it was fun even though it was just a green and got old after a few hours of skiing the same one. They were grooming Eagle Swoop when we were there and the website claims to open Eagle Swoop on Sunday. Lets hope the snow will stay during the upcoming week and the warmer temperatures.
VA_Skier
November 27, 2005
Member since 11/27/2005 🔗
1 posts
Eagles Swoop was open when we left Wintergreen this morning...

They were starting to set up rails in the terrain park on Sat.
langleyskier
November 27, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I was there this past week as well. Saturday was good skiing on upper/lower dobie; snow was icy in the morning then softened up. Only problem was their high speed lift- it was constantly stopping for 3-5 minuets which caused long lift lines (combined with the crowds) and some long rides up. Overall it was a good first day.
k_alice
November 27, 2005
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
We skied at Wintergreen both Saturday and Sunday morning - they opened Eagle Swoop on Sunday. Although it was getting warm on Sunday, the conditions were surprisingly good early on, and we got some good runs in before it softened up too much. Hoping the cold weather sticks around some more...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.