Cheap digs Snowshoe & Liberty
17 posts
12 users
2k+ views
Taylormatt
November 18, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Looking for reccomendations from those who know. I was all set to take my L2 exam parts 1 & 2 back to back at Elk this year until PSIA changed the event schedule. Now I have to go to part 1 at da Shoe and part 2 at Liberty. Where can I get the cheapest digs that are w/in a reasonable drive? Both exams are 2 day, midweek. I've never been to either area.
kennedy
November 18, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
For Snowshoe if you're not fussy about being on the mountain look for some cabins around Cass etc. I'm damn sure they'll be cheaper than on the hill.
Taylormatt
November 18, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Don't need to be on the mountain, just close enough to drive in, say w/in 30 minutes or so. I'll look into Cass.
Glenn_C
November 18, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Yup...good advice. Cass State Park has some clean (not fancy) 2 story company houses for $89 per night on weekends for up to 4 guests or $113 for 10. They've got cable, a kitchen with utensils and a wood stove.

You can check out the details here
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Taylormatt
November 19, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Thanks for the link. What sort of drive time am I looking at from there?
Ullr
November 19, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Matt,

Check your PM.
Taylormatt
November 19, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
It's still not here...server must be sleeping, or missing with the duct tape at 7S.
Taylormatt
November 19, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
2 hours later and still no PM. If you want, shoot me an email Reggaetravel at comcast dot net
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Suggest you look into the Snowshoe packages offered at the base of the mountain at the Inn at Snowshoe. These are really economical if you don't mind the drive up to the top to ski. The main road up from the Inn is easier to drive than the road from Cass. The rates at the Top of the Mountain Lodge and Silver Creek condos are also less expensive than the village.
The Colonel
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 19, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,971 posts
There are a number of threads on DCSki about lodging at and around Snowshoe. Here's a couple:
http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showfl...=true#Post14382
http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

Liberty is another matter. Almost all of us from Balt-Wash use it only as a day area and are clueless about nearby lodging. But there are a lot of chain motels around Frederick, MD where I70 and Rt 15 intersect. Frederick is about 20 or 30 mins from Liberty. There may be a few small lodging places in Emmitsburg, Md near Liberty or along Rt 15 between Frederick and Liberty. Sorry I don't have any names.
Lietmotiv
November 20, 2005
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
IMO there is something about Cass that un-nerves me. I've driven through that town at dusk when no one was there (or so it appeared) and it was very creapy. Like that town that was built to test the atmoic bomb or for a scene out of the video game Silent Hill. Gives me the creeps. Other than that it's probably a nice town.

Quote:

Yup...good advice. Cass State Park has some clean (not fancy) 2 story company houses for $89 per night on weekends for up to 4 guests or $113 for 10. They've got cable, a kitchen with utensils and a wood stove.

You can check out the details here

Elrah
November 20, 2005
Member since 10/18/2005 🔗
29 posts
Hey, has anyone mentioned ReMax yet? They have a site: http://secure.instantsoftwareonline.com/stayUSA/Default.aspx?coid=0349 where you can check out all their properties on and near Snowshoe. We've booked twice through them and had great experiences thus far! (We're a family of six, and we invited my parents to stay with us--to babysit our youngest while everyone else was out on the slopes. We had to find accomodations that allowed wheelchair access too, since my Mom's disabled)

The first year, we stayed at Summit for just under $1000 for the whole mid-week. The second time we rented a house over on South Westridge--Ryan's Express. The views are excellent, and if you've got someone staying with you who's NOT skiing, going the "house" route makes it SO MUCH more pleasant for them! We stayed in Ryan's Express (#94), which can accomadate up to 10 (so they say, actually you can probably comfortably fit twice that using the couches and some floor space) We stayed a week and paid just about what you might pay for three or 4 days ski in ski out...shuttle service is great-but I highly recommend going ahead and taking a "day trip" to check out the properties, especially if you want to avoid having to walk down a driveway in ski boots!
EasternSkiBum
November 20, 2005
Member since 08/20/2004 🔗
68 posts
For Liberty there are any number of hotels to choose from in Getttysburg. It's about 20min. away. Emmitsburg has a Sleep Inn that's about 15min. away. Both are closer than Frederick.
snowcone
November 20, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Lietmotiv:

I agree with the creepiness .. thought it was only me being super sensitive. Glad I'm not alone. Even during daylight hours there is something that bothers me .. maybe its the old hotel/boarding house whatever.
Jim
November 20, 2005
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
TM - What ESB said for Liberty lodging. Try the Emmitsburg Sleep Inn first. Tell them you're a ski instructor. They may give you the Liberty discount rate of $39 (call early!). There's also a Holiday Inn Express and Days Inn in Gettysburg. If you want real close AND inexpensive, go with the Fairfield Inn (its in the book). That's literally a couple of miles down the road from Liberty. Finally, there's the Carroll Valley Inn ($$$$) and Liberty's on-site hotel ($100/night).

Hope that helps.

ps: Not ALL of us from Wash/Balt just do Liberty in a day. Some of us do stay over.
Taylormatt
November 21, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Quote:

TM - What ESB said for Liberty lodging. Try the Emmitsburg Sleep Inn first. Tell them you're a ski instructor. They may give you the Liberty discount rate of $39 (call early!). There's also a Holiday Inn Express and Days Inn in Gettysburg. If you want real close AND inexpensive, go with the Fairfield Inn (its in the book). That's literally a couple of miles down the road from Liberty. Finally, there's the Carroll Valley Inn ($$$$) and Liberty's on-site hotel ($100/night).

Hope that helps.

ps: Not ALL of us from Wash/Balt just do Liberty in a day. Some of us do stay over.

That's exactly the insider info I was looking for. Thanks.
Roy
November 22, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
You can try the Sleep Inn but they always ask for your Liberty Instructors ID badge. And they make a copy of it. I'm not sure what they'll do if you "forget" your id badge.

If that doesn't work, the Holiday Inn Express in Gettysburg offers the same rate as the Sleep Inn for Liberty Instructors. They don't ask for your instructor id.

Holiday Inn

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?