Airboards
25 posts
15 users
3k+ views
Tick
November 7, 2005
Member since 05/27/2005 🔗
41 posts
I know this should really be under "Equipment", but thought I'd get more response here. After reading the "What's New for Canaan", I saw that the resort is allowing airboards. I HAD to try to find out what the things are, and what they do. This is the best I could find besides airboard.com:

web page

So, I am wondering, does anyone out there have thought about this new product? It appears that it will be allowed on several reports this year.
gatkinso
November 7, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
It is a sled.

I really don't want to encounter any of these on the slopes.
Chad
November 7, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
a sled that costs $269? where do i sign up?
JCHobbes
November 7, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
I like sledding.

I think this thing could have it's place in snowsports.

But as mentioned in the article, I cannot picture anyone without signifigant practice being able to do it on a run open to skiers and boarders without causing problems.

I can't help but think the problems caused by people in sleds who always seem to make it onto the runs at local resorts. And that's just one or two people.

What about when we have 100 sledders going crazy.

I think any resort that lets these things have free-run of the trails is asking for trouble, and will almost undoubtedly see an increase in the number of rescues their ski patrol does.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
kennedy
November 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
You have got to be kidding me. I could see it being allowed on the tubing runs but not the slope. How do you steer/stop it. In addition they are really low profile so I'd be worried about seeing one before you smash over it .... shudder..
Roger Z
November 7, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
This is the havoc wrought by the invention of the snowboard. If only we'd stuck to wedging our feet into wooden boards with leather straps, then this wouldn't be happening. But NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO, people wanted to have "fun," they wanted to "not break their legs." Wusses, I say.

Now look- hurtling reinforced tubes will start taking people out at the knees. The very things we tried to avoid will come back to kill us all. And I blame it all on snowboarders, somehow, just don't ask about the logic part.

(all- this is a joke)
hockeydave
November 7, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
What a dumb idea letting these mini zeppelins on the same slopes with skis & boards. Placing one's carotid artery at the about the same level as a ski's edge is a great way to meet your maker a lot sooner than one would like.
POWPOW
November 7, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
i can see a new tshirt to go with the old one

Old " If skiing was easy it would be called snowboarding"

New "If snowboarding was easy it would be called Airboarding"
SeaRide
November 7, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Here's one at Smugglers' Notch ->> http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/activities/airBoards.php
Quote:

At Smugglers' the Morse Highlands area is designated as Airboard-only use in the later afternoons and guests attend a short instructional clinic before venturing on their own. Users must be at least 13 years old, 4'6" tall and wear a helmet. The rider and Airboard are easily transported on the Highlands Lift.

The logic side of me thinks the airboarding is not going to succeed on any trails. I can think of a few trails that airboarding would not work when the 'rider' is trying to steer. When a trail veers to the left but it slopes to the right, you can't steer to the left if you are sliding down to the right. Does that make sense?

I am thinking of one trail as an example at Liberty's Dipsy Doodle (green) where it goes down then turn sharp right then turn sharp left unless the airboarder has to stop completely and then point the airboard down (and repeat the steps at every turn,huh?).

Again I will have to see how they steer the airboard thing first before I form an opinion. But I doubt I will see any of those on expert trails/slopes.
gatkinso
November 7, 2005
316 posts
I'd like to see some glade airboarding....
jimmy
November 7, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Bet they'd work well at the reggae weekend pond skimming contest.
comprex
November 7, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Had the same thought, then started wondering when they're going to start making freight transport/rescue units.

Air suspension for the neck brace cases AND compact storage.

gatkinso, I haven't tried it on an airboard, but I used to take the bark off trees with my steel runner sled as a kid. It's amazing how fast you can turn those things, esp. if you've got steel-toe boots.
MadMonk
November 7, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I don't see these things working well on hardpack or ice unless said surface is in the form of a luge run. Otherwise they seem like head and neck injuries waiting to happen as people lose control and hurtle head first into a nice maple.
SeaRide
November 7, 2005
237 posts
tailbone crusher, anyone? *shudders*
kennedy
November 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Put a rope on one and tow it on a lake behind a boat and I bet with wouldbe a blast on a hill though I'm a little wary.

As to the "If skiing were easy it would be called snowboarding" dealio I have this "If skiing were fun it would be called snowboarding"
comprex
November 7, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
SeaRide, MM, the idea is helmet-first, steer with toes.

I have some of the old Atlas strap-on snowshoe crampons (i.e. only the crampon part of the snowshoe) that would be perfect for this (no sharp points like real crampons). They'd probably bring you to a complete stop on Bold Decision if you dug in both.

So, who's getting one? Wanna bring it to Rock Creek Park at first snowfall?
Tick
November 7, 2005
Member since 05/27/2005 🔗
41 posts
Well, I guess just about everyone is thinking along the same lines I was - just not right for the regular slopes. I may have to go to Canaan just to see someone riding them.

I was waiting for a comment something to the effect of, "Man, look at all that nice snow they're messing up by dragging their legs and feet," kind of like what some folks say about snowboarders!

(I am a snowboarder so that's just a joke! )
therusty
November 16, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
CV had an airboard at the DC ski show. The comments from staff from other resorts were simply priceless (e.g. "LAWSUIT!", "AAaaacccck! My freaking knees (afraid of getting taken out from behind)", "You've got to be F'ing S'ing me - it's a joke right?").

The CV lady said a lesson was required, but after that they would be allowed anywhere on the mountain. They have a 2 year exclusive for the mid atlantic region. The beasties have 3 heavy plastic "runners" on the bottom that should make them at least as controllable as your typical beginner.

Given the proximity of one's face to other people's edges, I recommend helmets with full face guards. These things do look like fun and look like they should work under all but the iciest conditions. For Pond Skimming I wonder how much of a running start you can get with flippers on?
jimmy
November 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Rusty, anywhere on the mountain? They've gotta be nutz! Talk about a new bloodsport, i can just imagine the pile ups on timber run.
therusty
November 16, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Yes Jimmy, anywhere on the mountain. That's why the comments were so priceless. The rep could have been mistaken, but then "that's just silly" is not nearly as fun as the other comments.

Shall we start a couple polls? First serious airboard vs skier/rider injury. How long before restricted from the main slopes? How long before not allowed on the slopes at all?
SeaRide
November 16, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

Shall we start a couple polls? First serious airboard vs skier/rider injury. How long before restricted from the main slopes? How long before not allowed on the slopes at all?

Nah.. not yet unless there's somebody out here who can explain his/her experience riding the airboard or experience ramming into one or experience helping an airboarder down from the tree.
langleyskier
November 16, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Yeah, i talked to the same lady at the expo. She said she had tried it last year at the end of the season and it was fun. I think it probably is a lot of fun but i have three major concerns about those things:
1- How would you get on/off lifts without having to slow them down???
2- OK so you take a lesson first. But still going down a hill at 30+ mph there is no way i would trust myself let alone anyone else near me on an airboard on the slopes
3- Can you stop easily and quickly??

Overall i really cant see someone on an airboard sharing the slopes with skiers/boarders
pwillysim
November 16, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
These things could do a nice job on your knees, if struck from behind. I certainly wouldn't want one following me down the slope.
SeaRide
November 16, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

Yeah, i talked to the same lady at the expo. She said she had tried it last year at the end of the season and it was fun. I think it probably is a lot of fun but i have three major concerns about those things:
1- How would you get on/off lifts without having to slow them down???
2- OK so you take a lesson first. But still going down a hill at 30+ mph there is no way i would trust myself let alone anyone else near me on an airboard on the slopes
3- Can you stop easily and quickly??

Overall i really cant see someone on an airboard sharing the slopes with skiers/boarders

I just came across this website - www.airboard.com
and found the movies that may answer your questions.
I have already watched the movies over and over. I think I will reserve my opinion at this time about the airboard. Airboarding looks like fun though. I think I will stick to skiing/snowboarding where I can really steer and be able to stop.
click here for movies

click here for photo gallery
gatkinso
November 17, 2005
316 posts
If one stops behind a meduim size mogal let's see how long it takes for the airboarder to make the aquaintence of somebodies rails.

It is a stupid idea letting these loose on the slopes. Skiing and boarding... whatever - but there should be a minumim requirement that you ride upright.

It is just about as lame as when a body boarder paddles out into the line up.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?