30 posts
15 users
4k+ views
Kris
October 17, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Name this trail...

First of all, I dont know myself...All i know is the resort where it is at...Lets see how good you experts are...lol
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 17, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Looks like basin side of Snowshoe. Is it Widowmaker trail?
tommo
October 17, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Looks like Ball Hooter to me
Kris
October 17, 2005
248 posts
From that view wouldnt the lift be the right side of widowmaker?
I was thinkin ball hoooter? Like i said though, i only know the resort, and you are right it is snowshoe...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
October 17, 2005
2,181 posts
Widowmaker at Snowshoe. You're on the upper end of the pond that is the headwaters of Shavers Fork, not in the middle or north end- you can tell it's not the north end of the pond because the ridgeline opens up to the left of the photo. If you were on the north end of the pond you'd be looking at the wrap-around where Snowshoe eventually plans to build several more runs.

The lift also appears to be a triple chair, and like the chair on Widowmaker starts on skiers right and crosses to skiers' left. Just off the picture to the right are some old snake-around routes that are officially closed but still skied after snowfalls.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
White Lightning at Timberline.
Snowmakers
October 17, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Try This. Hint. Its in the Mid-Atlantic

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2005
2,344 posts
That's at Massanutten and I think it is called Diamond Jim. It actually looks a bit like Montrealer at Jay Peak.
kwillg6
October 18, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Ballhooter at the shoe!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 18, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Quote:

That's at Massanutten and I think it is called Diamond Jim. It actually looks a bit like Montrealer at Jay Peak.

Yeah. It's either Diamond Jim or Paradice. I get those two mixed up. Both served by the quad.

More than one way to play this game. Name the pair of trails in this photo (hint, the view you get skiing them is one of the best in mid-atlantic skiing):
http://community.webshots.com/photo/51327622/33134454kmqjuW
jimmy
October 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Widowmaker at snoeshoe, see howthe lift ends up on skiers right at the bottom and it's not a HSQ. Main street and what'sitcalled at wisp.
Murphy
October 18, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Here's one that a lot of you have probably never seen. (sorry if the hi-res image takes too long to download)

EDIT: The old image was removed to make some cry baby happy. Here's a new one of the same resort. It doesn't show a slope but I feel it's pretty representative of the resort. Could even be Moonshine Mtn.

Mid-Atlantic Skiing
Roger Z
October 18, 2005
2,181 posts
Hah! I know that one... it's the back bowls at Vail. Or maybe a particular run from a particular ski area that Moonshine Mountain is gonna put out of business.

JimKs was Main Street at Wisp, with Eye Opener beside it.
Murphy
October 18, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

Hah! I know that one... it's the back bowls at Vail. Or maybe a particular run from a particular ski area that Moonshine Mountain is gonna put out of business.

You are correct sir.

I can delete that image if I have to. It makes this page load painfully slow if you view in flat mode and it screws up the frame width.
tommo
October 18, 2005
303 posts
The Wisp shot is easy - Mainstreet and Eye Opener, with Highline connecting from left to right. As to the 'Shoe shot, I maintain it's Ballhooter - the lift chairs are wrong for Widowmaker, and the angle over Shavers lake is wrong. Widowmaker is much more at the south end of the lake, looking towards the dam at the north end. Interestingly, the shot on DC Ski resorts page for Snowshoe is, I believe, very close to the same location!

Got me on the one above....
snowcone
October 18, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Yup .. for sure Widowmaker at Snowshoe ... ummm no ... its Ballhooter. If it were Widowmaker wouldnt you be able to see the liftie contraption [dont know what you call the load thingie] at the bottom of the slope?
BushwackerinPA
October 18, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Here is a tough one its in PA is the only hint i will give you first.
Roger Z
October 18, 2005
2,181 posts
I can't see your picture, Bushwacker. I think SOMEONE (I'm not naming names here but if you go to the map of where everyone lives it may be another person who lives SOUTH of I-64, EAST of West Virginia and just NORTH of Christiansburg and is NOT ATTENDING SCHOOL RIGHT NOW) is using up all the bandwidth with the exceptionally large photograph of a ski run at a soon-to-be-defunct ski resort. No finger pointing here...
Murphy
October 18, 2005
618 posts
Quote:

I can't see your picture, Bushwacker. I think SOMEONE (I'm not naming names here but if you go to the map of where everyone lives it may be another person who lives SOUTH of I-64, EAST of West Virginia and just NORTH of Christiansburg and is NOT ATTENDING SCHOOL RIGHT NOW) is using up all the bandwidth with the exceptionally large photograph of a ski run at a soon-to-be-defunct ski resort. No finger pointing here...

Happy! I fixed it.
jimmy
October 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Here's one that a lot of you have probably never seen. (sorry if the hi-res image takes too long to download)

EDIT: The old image was removed to make some cry baby happy. Here's a new one of the same resort. It doesn't show a slope but I feel it's pretty representative of the resort. Could even be Moonshine Mtn.

Mid-Atlantic Skiing

Carharts and camo, it's gotta be..........
kennedy
October 18, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Don't leave out the plastic snowboard that one guy has obviously bought at a low cost large box store. Hey that could be any resort around here. Carharts and camo is not all that uncommon.
SCWVA
October 18, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Choker at Snowshoe
Kris
October 18, 2005
248 posts
This is what a black diamond should look like!!

"The Drop"

Heavenly!!!
Roger Z
October 18, 2005
2,181 posts
No Kris, THIS is what an expert run should look like. Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you the Palisades at Sugar Bowl, California, the only run where to teach you to ski it they will strap a rope to you if requested...
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2005
2,344 posts
There are many lines on that face that are skiable with your skis on snow all the way down. You may have to stop, look, and traverse a bit to a new mini drainage now and then but you can connect them all the way down. I know because at 64 I don't do air but I like steeps. Sugar Bowl is a super good area that kicks the butt of lots of big name places in Colo. It also has a really nice ambience. One of my favorites.
Elrah
October 19, 2005
Member since 10/18/2005 🔗
29 posts
Technically, it's "Lower" Ball Hooter, at Snowshoe of course....I have video of my children disappearing toward the lift lines....couldn't fail to recognize that view!
Roger Z
October 19, 2005
2,181 posts
The photo was the best I could find... most of the Palisades is actually to the right of that shot and, having been to Sugar Bowl, I didn't see a single line in there that you didn't have to catch mandatory air somewhere along the way. Most of them also required straightlining an insanely narrow chute through some unspeakably steep pitch for a period as well. The stuff on the photo is- with the exception of the two lines farthest to the right- modest by comparison.
wgo
October 19, 2005
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
I agree with the positive assessments of Sugar Bowl - skied it for the first time this past season. The Palisades were closed the one day I was there so I didn't get to see what they were like first hand but Roger's description is certainly intruiging. I imagine if I make it back there i'd stick to the parts in the photo that don't require mandatory air...
Snowmakers
October 19, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Mine would be Paradice at the nut. Looking down on the valley. Taken 2/14/05.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2005
2,344 posts
Maybe we didn't ski the same lines, but I found it to be a lot easier to route find without taking air than it appeared from the lift. Of course you could get cliffed out too if you didn't pay attention. Once or twice we had to sidestep back up a bit and find a new line. It was not a particularly big snow year. It was also great fun. Although steeper, it was really not as challenging as most of the woods shots at Mad River or Mansfield.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.