Favorite Mid-Atlantic Trails
63 posts
27 users
16k+ views
JohnL
September 16, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Only considering the ski areas listed on DCSki's home page and those trails officially listed on the *ahem* trail map, here's my favorites:

• Extrovert, Blue Knob
  • Lower Shortway, Blue Knob
  • D-Trail, Blue Knob
  • Dream Highway, Laurel Mountain
  • Off The Wall (without or without whales ), Timberline
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 16, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Oh don't get me started on this. Always a fun topic.
I like Stembogan at Blue Knob when it has a lot of loose snow on it. Enjoy playing on those bizarre twists and turns and fun to let it rip on the easy mogul field at the bottom. Agree that for an inbounds run Blue Knob's Extrovert is the trail that all mid-Atlantic black diamonds are measured against.
Eye Opener at Wisp has just enough pitch to be fun and is a very scenic trail.
Hard not to mention Snowshoe's Cupp Run and its steeper brother Lower Shays, on low-crowd days they're two of the best long thigh burners in our region.

Here's a link to my favorite cruisers piece from a while back: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=357&mode=headlines
jimmy
September 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Agree completely with OffThe Wall and Cupp/Shays.

Acouple of my other favorites,

Spruce Run at Canaan Valley, Very narrow natural snow trail thru the trees,

Avalanche at 7 Springs, it's not much verticle, but it is sneaky steep, i think, and

The Face at Wisp.
BushwackerinPA
September 16, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts

Thats by far my favorite "named" trail

Diablo glades at Hidden Valley is my favorite run though especially with the powder that get piled up there.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
It is hard to beat the view from the top of any of the Wintergreen trails and from the top of Massanutten. From either resort you know you are in real mountains. I would add the FOX? trail at Silver Creek, the far left (from the top) trail at Whitetail, and the new wide green blvds. at Snowshoe basin side. Also White Lightening atTimberline.
The Colonel
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 16, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
In no particular order:

Gunnar--7 Springs
    Bold Decision--Whitetail
    The Drop--Timberline
    Cupp--Snowshoe
    Shays (upper and lower)--Snowshoe
    Silver Streak--Timberline
    Challenge--Blue Mountain
    Boulder Dash--Sugar, NC
    Tom Terrific--Sugar, NC

I've never skied at Laurel or the Knob--hence no mention.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I forgot to mention Cup and Widowmaker at the Shoe.
The Colonel
fred
September 17, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
Timberline's - Off the Wall w/ the Whales

Save the Whales !!!
snowcone
September 17, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Well, I'm a just a schlub with bad knees who skis blues and 'dark' greens .. I leave the thigh-burners to the rest of the family.

I don't have many favorites in the MidA (prefer out west) but the best in my mind is:

-- J-Hook at SS. It's a hidden blue off Widowmaker that has a nice constant pitch with a chicane and dip at mid run. There is -no- traffic on the run so not cut up or icy. I almost always have it to myself so I can take it at speed, which makes that tight S act like a slingshot accelerating you out mid-run onto Widowmaker. Yee haw!

-- Second best would be the far green on the basin side, but only early season. At season start, SS stores extra snow on Yew Pine turning 1/2 of the width of the run into some really nice huge whales with a 'blue' or better pitch. Again, at speed, early in the morning, it's like riding a roller coaster. Fun!!

Most favorite runs: Orion & the Dippers @ Heavenly.
JCHobbes
September 17, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
At Hidden Valley: Barracuda, Comet, and Charger, on the rare occasion that it is actually open. BushwackerinPA mentioned Diablo Glades. I've never heard of it in the four years I've been skiing there, but he's a ski instructor, and I'm not, so he probably knows a bunch of runs I don't.

At Laurel Mountain: I can't think of anything not good there. But Lower Wildcat is definately the best.

Timberline: I really got a kick out of either Upper Thunder Draft or Upper Thunder Struck, possibly both. I just remember skiing blacks underneath the tripple Both were very awesome. I didn't do Off the Wall. The fence and the ever-ominous, "Your Ticket Will Be Confiscated" signs at the top scared me from even skiing over to see what it was.

Canaan: I'm not even sure what I skied last time I was Canaan. The signs aren't very good. I wanted to do Dark Side of the Moon, but I couldn't find it. I might have done part of it. I was more concerned at getting around huge spots where the grass had completely melted. There was somewhere in there, just a nice tiny little trail through a section of woods that I liked.

Snowshoe: Another one where there really aren't a whole lot of bad runs. Over all though, Cupp was definately the best. Unfortunately, I went on a really warm weekend and the snow was melting. The day I did Cupp the ski patrol had opened it but it was just barely skiable. There were lots of spots where it had melted down to the grass and many more where it was ice. At the top of every major hill on the trail, people just loitered. By the time I got to the bottom, I was so glad that I had made it down without falling or having someone crash into me, that I decided to go back over to the other side of the mountain and never look back. Now I wish that I had done a few more runs on Cupp. Of couse, Saturday night, it was cold enough to turn the snowmakers on, so they worked all night and the trails were beautiful for the two or three hours we got to spend on the slopes before leaving.
BushwackerinPA
September 17, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Haha it kinda of made up thing that a bunch of instrutors, and patrols have been doing. Basically thining out the trees were the snow is good in the winter, in the summer so we can ski them in the winter. diablo is off to the right of T-bird through the trees, actually kinda of challenging. It not on the map. There is also Integra glades to the right of the park(which was made before my time there). Lookout this winter for a new one fall we are taking on the trees between Cobra and road runner that one will be called Carrera. Also to those reading this we are do nothing more than clearing out underbrush, and clipping low branch we have not cut down any tree. I believe the tighter the gladed the better keeps the inexperince from thinking they can do it, and the experince from going to fast. this is also being down without resort support(yet), but so far no complaint.

Hidden Valley - Any of the three off of the doubles (imperial, Road Runner, and Cobra) 2 good crusiers and if you are lucky are nice natural snow slope service by a pretty quick lift

Laurel Mountain - I love dream highway and the the unmarked tree run to the right of it.

7springs - North Face slope on weekday nights, me and my girlfriend would GS turn that slope for hours.

Wisp - the one that has it own lift forget the name (Something cage i think)

Snowshoe - Cupp run which pretty much seem to be the Norm here.
RodSmith
September 17, 2005
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Gunbarrel and Superpipe at Roundtop
East Glade, Route 66 Blue Knob
Pipeline Canaan
Exhibition Whitetail
Squirrel Cage Wisp
Heather
September 17, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Everyone talks about LOWER Wildcat, but Upper wildcat is probably my favorite.... nice wide open space, huge tuning radius, good steepness, usually no crowds(anywhere at LM), breath taking view from the top into Ligonier and surrounding areas!!!!! And you get all of this right before you sh!t yourself at the top of Lower wildcat!!!!!

hey Jimmy I think I just went cloud skiing! No helmet needed either!

Some of my other favorites are easy cruisers. Broadway top to bottom can be quite a workout when you are trying to catch a 10 year old! Laurel Run, Hagan's Cut and a bunch of natural stuff at LM are also at the top of my list!

Timberline is my other fav place to ski, and my fav there is probably the drop! First time I skied that it was so foggy that I didn't realize it was bumped until it was too late. Being graceful and all, I took it 2 bumps at a time until I grasped (sort of) the concept of skiing bumps. wasn't very successful, but it was a great learning run.
BushwackerinPA
September 17, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Laurel for sure has the most interesting terrain outta of the 3 in the laurels, even if the only real challenge on the map is lower wildcat.

It has a old time feel with all the little cuts and paths all over the place. Some of the little suts can be powder skier dream on the right day(something laurels slow lifts excel at).
Roger Z
September 18, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I've always liked Heavenly at Timberline as a good cruiser. D-trail at Blue Knob is short but very, very sweet. Cherry Bowl Glades and the pre-widened Dark Side of the Moon at CV were two of my favorite runs, but the former is unofficially closed (so it can't make our "official" list ) and the latter has been blasted out and widened.

Cupp Run is very well designed at Snowshoe, probably the coolest run in the south, particularly if you catch it in the morning before it's been skied up. Laurel was an all-around fun mountain; lots of hidden glades to ski through.

But my favorite run of all is 12 inches of freshies and first tracks...
Mountain Masher
September 18, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
JohnL, I'm somewhat surprised that you would include BK's Extrovert and Lower Shortway in your short (no pun intended) list of favorite ski slopes located within the Mid-Atlantic. First of all, Extrovert is generally NOT open during the first half of the ski season. And when Extrovert is finally opened, it's usually covered with large "whales". And, because there's NO grooming on Extrovert, the bumps that form (after the whales have been skied down a bit) almost never have ANY line or rhythm to them. Also, Extrovert is often closed due to boiler-plate ice. And finally, Extrovert is NOT a continuous ski slope; BOTH Route 66 and High Hopes run ACROSS Extrovert.

As for Lower Shortway: first of all, BK averages only 100 inches of natural snow per year and there is NO snowmaking on Lower Shortway, so it's almost never open. And, worse yet, the logging operation (in that area) did a considerable amount of damage to Shortway as the ground was torn-up (and rocks exposed) when many of the felled trees were "skidded" (dragged) down Lower Shortway. Whenever I've skied Lower Shortway over the past few years (which hasn't been very often since Lower Shortway is usually closed), the snow surface has been strewn with rocks of all sizes.
Crush
September 18, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
hee hee hee ... any trail that lets me ski 40+ mph with no ski patrollers pointing and shouting, LOL. So the backside of The 7 or yeah like extrovert I think (I never remember names of things) at both WhiteButt and BlueProtuberance. At Timberline there was some long thing that started out sort of flat but then had a sort of headwall about 50yards after and that was fun, whatever it was. What's the thing at BlueKnobby that runs under the chair lift that is at the end of Jack Rabbit? It was all kind ot tilty and the chair lift poles made little drop-offs you could make airplane turns on that was fun.

Gee I guess I like everything!
BushwackerinPA
September 18, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Agreeed i skied Lower Shortway twice this year once i hit one rock the frist time(2 feet of new snow) second time i think it was equal to like sking on concrete.
shearer519
September 19, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
My Favorite Trails in no particular order

Gunner (Seven Springs)
Gunner Chair line (Seven Springs)
Lower Wildcat (Laurel)
Lower Route 66 (Blue Knob)
Stembogen (Blue Knob)

I never got a chance to ski Extrovert the one time I went to BK, but I plan on fixing that problem this year.
JohnL
September 19, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Upon further review, I'd have to replace Off the Wall with Silver Streak (both Timberline.) Only if the trees are not cut down.

Cupp Run is a very nice trail, but it doesn't crack my top 5.

Bushwacker, where is the entrance to the tree shot off of Dream Highway? At the top of the lift, do you traverse near the side of the parking lot and then take a left down the fall line? I spied some tracks near there but I was having a lot of fun elsewhere on the mountain ...

I agree with Heather in that there are tons of great lines near Laurel Run at Laurel Mountain. The trees up there catch a lot of snow. Lower Wildcat is an ok slope, but it is pretty wide and gets skied off very quickly. My favorite lines on Lower Wildcat are to far skier's right.

I've had good luck with Lower Shortway; I've never hit a rock on it. Knock, knock. There generally is some exposed brush at the top of the steep face, but that doesn't do much to the edges. Plus, I'm an expert at short little hop turns to jump over any sketch on a trail. Lower Shortway does get skied off pretty quickly.

Mountain Masher, instead of ragging on someone's preferences and continuing your incessant wining, why don't you volunteer your own favorites?

Extrovert is one of the few trails in the Mid-Atlantic that does have very good lines in the bumps. The bump lines at other Mid-Atlantic trails (Whitetail, Roundtop, Seven Springs and Snowshoe in particular), are normally degraded because lots of poor skiers/boarders traverse or skid across the slopes.

The other reasons you criticize Extrovert are precisely why I love the trail. The couple of whales they occur due to the snowguns add some nice steep sections to the trail, the bisecting trails add to the challenge and they're fun to launch off, plus the one or two sections that always seem to remain icy are fun to attempt.
kwillg6
September 19, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
This is as hard to answer as trying to pick from a 100 item menu.... Every resort has one particular run or two which, on any given day, could be my favorite, but since I need to choose, the following are my favorites in no particular order:

Ramble at CV....best slope to crank big GS turns
Cupp at the shoe...on weekdays only
Drop....consistent fallline and when bumped up...
OTW...with the whales, please.
River Run ( I think that's the name )at Jack Frost
Extravert
Any slope after a big dump at Silver Creek (if not groomed)
tromano
September 19, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
We have this debate every season and you know what it never gets old. It think the reason is that each year I learn something new and can enjoy new, different or more challenging terrain. Last season for example was the first where I had fun with the moguls, not just felt comfy or whatever but actually had a lot of fun. I was really impressed skiing T-line last season for the 1st time. The two trials directly under the lifts were both amazing. And I haven't hit up BK or extrovert in a while. I mean if the trial isn't open by mid February its hard to say if it even exists right? Of the local area trails I actually skied last season here are the favorites:

For highest Fear Factor: Gun Barrel at Round top. the icy south east exposure, and cornice make this the most intimidating entry to a trial in this region.

For Crazy Grooming and gnarly Conditions: OTW at Tline, about half way down this felt more extreme than gun barrel with the whales, crud and ice. Still I came back for more.

For a good quad burning workout: Bold Decision at whitetail. Usually in good shape, un-crowded, and the moguls soften nicely in the afternoon sun. The fall line zigzags and gives some nice lines toward the bottom of the trail.

For pure fun: The two trails under the lifts at T-Line are , fast paces, narrow, and a real challenge, throw in 3 feet of fresh and they are perfect.

For cruising: North face slope at 7-S. An easy black. The Head wall gets you moving but the bottom is a cruiser's paradise. Generally better conditions resulting from less crowding, a wider slope, and the lack of icy funnel areas.

For Carving and going really fast: Avalanche at 7S. Short, steep, rolling, and a real hoot.

For impromptu air: Anything from upper wildcat to skiers right at laurel mountain. Tons of hits, jumps, and other fun stuff created by man or nature...

For a cold beer after ward: The pub at laurel mountain. I think this was about as good of service, and as pleasant of an atmosphere I have seen at a bar at a ski slope in a long time.

Edited for spelling
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 19, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

We have this debate every season and you know what it never gets old.

!!!!
Heather
September 19, 2005
170 posts
Tromano....I agree about the cold beer in the WILCAT LOUNGE (that place is my CHEERS!). Service everywhere at LM seems pretty good! Unfortunately, you always have a couple of people that kinda rub you the wrong way. Anyway back to my bar! The group that Willie Joe from 7s brought over this year did and exceptional job keeping us locals all in line! Dee, the bar manager, hated to see us pain in the ass patrollers coming in after our shift was completed because we nagged her to let us use the shotski (for those not familiar with this LM tradition, 4 or 5 shot glasses are mounted to a "old" ski) This particular after skiing event will always be my favorite and if LM doesn't reopen, the old or new shotski will be located in the basement of my house in my husbands bar...just for good times and get togethers with our drinking buddies. I was at the bar on Sat a few weeks back for a patrol refresher and my best friend was parked right beside the fireplace waiting for someone to pick her/him up and order up a round of shots......NOW I am cloud drinking........Jimmy you have created a monster.

***THINK LAUREL***
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jb714
September 19, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Now THAT is a good post - I believe I'll have a beer on that note.
warren
September 20, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
John,
I went to the 'Dilly in Chantilly' last Saturday. Timberline was there and I asked the person at the table about Silver Streak and the trees. She said that the trees have been cut down. Has anybody been up there recently to verify this?

-Warren-
Roy
September 20, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I know this may get a laugh but after skiing Liberty everyday for the last 2 years, I have to pick my favorite run there.

White Lightning is an awesome run when you can hit it with good conditions and no one on it. The small headwall (that dogleg left) can be launched just at the top of it. You can get some good air and then GS turn the rest of the way down. Unfortunately, it is one of the last to open and it is closed too much for racing.
jimmy
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tromano and Heather, maybe you've hit on asub-topic for this subject, Favorite MidAtlantic Ski area pub. Please don't think i'm slighting LM but only been there once. My favorite has to b......drumroll please.....The Foggy Goggle at 7 Springs. Heather, cloud drinking? we REALLY need some snow .
kwillg6
September 20, 2005
2,066 posts
Two weeks ago they were there, but that was two weeks ago. A lot happens when management gets on a roll.
jimmy
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

John,
I went to the 'Dilly in Chantilly' last Saturday. Timberline was there and I asked the person at the table about Silver Streak and the trees. She said that the trees have been cut down. Has anybody been up there recently to verify this?

-Warren-

Please say it ain't so!
Heather
September 20, 2005
170 posts
Jimmy- I would settle for some positive info on the status of LM, then I can begin thinking about the season, otherwise, I may be a homeless skier this year!

***THINK LAUREL***
tgd
September 20, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
We should be able to tell if the trees are gone from the forest service web cam. Conditions are pretty hazy in CV today so I can't make out one way or another right now.

As for favorite mid-A Ski trails, well my trips have been pretty limited over the last several years to Timberline, so not surprisingly it dominates my list of favorites:

1) The Drop on a powder day (Tline).
2) Cupp Run (Snowshoe)
3) Silver Streak with trees (Tline)
4) Thunderstruck (Tline).
5) Far Side (Whitetail)
6) Bold Decision (Whitetail)

I have not skied Wisp or Canaan Valley in many years. Tried Camelback once (I think it rained). Never skied Liberty, 7 Springs, Hidden Valley, or Laurel (too many land grabbing Yankees). Also, never made it to Blue Knob before it was ruined by global warming.
jimmy
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

............Tried Camelback once (I think it rained). Never skied Liberty, 7 Springs, Hidden Valley, or Laurel (too many land grabbing Yankees). Also, never made it to Blue Knob before it was ruined by global warming.

tgd, After considering your brilliant summation in bawalkers new car (eminence domain) thread and comments quoted above, Moonshine mountain's bd of directors would like to review your resume; Murphy say's he's ready to hire a director of marketing and the board agree's ur the most desirable candidate. Pleas forward your resume and salary requirements asap to the attn of Mr RogerZee, Proofmaster. Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.

Since MSM will be located in the MidA region and will become it's signature resort, my favorite trail there would be

Mountain Mash Basin

Favorite Lift, The Johnny Walker Red Eye Express
tgd
September 20, 2005
585 posts
Jimmy: All I can say is Wow! I would be honored to join your team. Heck, I will even waive salary in exchange for first tracks and free beer (hey - nice ring to that, could make a decent advertising jingle). Anyway, even with distractions like DCSki, I still have plenty of free time at work to take on additional corporate responsibilities.

How about some new slope names:

1) Meltdown
2) Fish bowl (in honor of Lost River Dams)
3) Rocks and Stumps Glades
4) 4 Wheel Fun - combo terrain/ATV park (an innovative first in the mid-atlantic.)
5) Dead Salamanders

Apres-ski lounge: "The Shotgun Shack" (my way of honoring the now-defunct "Honeymooners Gun Shop" on Rt 50 on the way to Canaan).
wvrocks
September 20, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
The trees between Lightning and Streak were still there this morning.
Roger Z
September 20, 2005
2,181 posts
TGD- What we need for a marketer is someone who is willing to confiscate vast acreages around the resort and then develop them into singlewide "silver" trailer parks and doublewide "gold" trailer parks. Bronze overnight facilities will largely be tin rooves near a barrel with a fire blazing from horse dung. Do you have what it takes?

There's been a lot of good comments on this board about favorite runs. Exhibition at Whitetail is a great GS run, and the top of Gunbarrel truly is a fear factor blast on an icy day (which is most days on the top of Gunbarrel).

Heather, go check out our Laurel posts. We've saved your resort and tripled your property value.

Oh, and the best apres-ski bar- I'm not sure around here in the Mid Atlantic, but my favorite out west so far- despite my lackluster opinion of the resort- is the Mangy Moose at Jackson Hole.

ps- TGD, just saw your new post. I like your thinking! Yes, we should have a happy hour from 7 to 8 a.m. to get the hair of the dog off our die-hard skiers. And to compete with your shotgun shack we'll need a roadhouse bar- just was at one in Floyd last Friday night looking, I guess, to get my a** kicked. My friend almost went home with a 400 pound woman; it was quite an experience.

Some other trail names: Quitcherbitchin', Wailing Wall, and since we were originally going to develop Moonshine on Buckhorn Mountain, I had all sorts of names related to "Buck": Buck This, Buck Up, Buck-Buck, etc. But you're the marketer- anyone willing to work for beer is our kind of guy. Welcome aboard!
jimmy
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

The trees between Lightning and Streak were still there this morning.

Thank's D. IIRC you predicted snowsticks on the drop , was it last march? What're you hearing about those trees?
tgd
September 20, 2005
585 posts
Roger Z: You are giving me more ideas. In addition to dog hair happy hours - we can offer Skiin' and Drinkin' Group Lessons. We could even start a new trail rating system. Instead of circles, squares and diamonds, we should rate our gnarliest runs using shot-glasses: as in how many drinks it takes before you say "I can ski that... buuurpp"
Murphy
September 20, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Apres-ski lounge: "The Shotgun Shack" (my way of honoring the now-defunct "Honeymooners Gun Shop" on Rt 50 on the way to Canaan).

I don't care what we call the bar but we're havin' one of dem dere shotski things Heather was talking about. That's brilliant! Maybe we could mount the shot glasses to those big ol' things Roger used to strap to his feet. We could probably get an even dozen shot glasses mounted on one of those things .
Roger Z
September 20, 2005
2,181 posts
Only a dozen? You could mount two or three dozen at least.

Which brings up another potential good ski instruction class: popping shots off the front of your skis directly into your mouth.

And let's not forget nastar-like runs where you have to grab a beer at each gate and chug it. Winning results based on time AND amount of alcohol consumed.

Everyday, we continue to make Moonshine less and less family friendly!
Murphy
September 20, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

And let's not forget nastar-like runs where you have to grab a beer at each gate and chug it. Winning results based on time AND amount of alcohol consumed.

That reminds me of a 5K that used to be run in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Every km you had to stop in a bar and have a beer before continuing on to the next (or something like that). I never got a chance to run it. Hopefully some day I will.
jimmy
September 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK yeah.....ican feel the love....maybe we'll stash frree beer and mason jars of moonshine in the glades, seems like i read that they used to do that with martinis somewhere in europe.
Heather
September 20, 2005
170 posts
If MSM is going to have a shotski, wouldn't it make sense to have a boardbeer (same concept, different beverage, larger glass) You can't discriminate at MSM.
kennedy
September 20, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
MSM should have a well stocked bar at both the loading and unloading stations and also at any midmountain points necessary. All the good runs should have three drink minimum as in three drinks before you are allowed anywhere near it. Seeing as the St. Bernard's are now out of a job in the Alps I say bring the poor little blighters a job here carrying their sweet sweet alcohol to those in need on the slopes. We could also have a geocaching type thing where you get a map of stashes all over the mountain. You bring a little and take a little, share the wealth kind of deal. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I can see it now it's glorious.

MSM should also have an almost fanatical group of ticket clippers whose sole task is to ensure that all good runs and powder are reserved for only the deserving few.
Roger Z
September 20, 2005
2,181 posts
Y'all realize this is just the LEGAL side of the family unfriendly establishment known as Moonshine Mtn, right? What's the use of running a ski resort if we don't have regular, Dukes-of-Hazzard like run-ins with the local authorities? Murphy and I working on other details... though he may deny any involvement.

This will definitely be a 21 and over establishment, but I pity the fool that has to check IDs.
kennedy
September 21, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
We need to have patrollers wearing flashing blue lights and sirens on their helmet, we also need a jumpin' creek into which they will inevitably plunge as they give chase. I need to get a bright orange board with a big 01 on it and somehow mount an airhorn. We also need to designate at least one person to wear an all white one piece in honor of Boss Hogg.

Besides all favourite trails in MA: Cupp Runn, Flying Eagle, Exhibition (non mogulled) and North Face
kwillg6
September 21, 2005
2,066 posts
Wow!!! who hi-jacked this forum??? You guys are way too bored if this is all you can babble about.
jimmy
September 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
ME ...........whoa there goes boarderbabe in her daisy duke git up........
Roger Z
September 21, 2005
2,181 posts
Oh come on now Kim. Did it really take this discussion for you to realize how bored we are? It's 80 degrees, only a few dehydrated leaves have started turning, and hardly a ski resort- except Wisp- has produced their new ski season maps yet. What else to do but rev up the fantasy engine, cloud ski, and design Daisy Duke outfits for female ski patrollers at Moonshine?

To counter that sexist remark, the ladies can propose outfits for the men patrollers to wear. Though, come to think of it, we may not want ANY of our patrollers to dress skimpy.
jimmy
September 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
mmmmmmmm........Moonshine Mountain- free beer, first tracks (sorry johnL) and a gondola with a good ventilation system .
kwillg6
September 22, 2005
2,066 posts
Ok, Ok! Moonshine Mountain it is. I even think that it should feature Jimmy's Joy Juice on tap in the gondolas. I don't know about the patrollers in the daisy dukes... have you really looked at some patrollers???? and, and, and, yes, well ventilated gondolas.
Heather
September 22, 2005
170 posts
Ventilated Gondolas? What for?

And MSM needs to have a cardboard cup race!
LMV
September 22, 2005
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
I think he means ventilated "gangalas"
kwillg6
September 27, 2005
2,066 posts
Been doing some thinkin'.... With the new trail @ t-line (to be named later) we may create some new favorites of our own after a good dump of pow-pow. Since this trail does intersect the old "crash and burn" of the 24 hour race, and with the trees in there, it is already aptly named. Put "crash and burn" up there with my favorites.
SCWVA
September 27, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm surprised that Knotbumper (w/ bumps) at SS hasn't been listed anywhere. The lower steep has a nice fall line and is usually has some decent bumps on it. I also like to launch the head wall on the upper section. It's not real long, but its fun.

Having ridden Crash & Burn at night and in the rain, I'd love to ski it.
warren
September 28, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
That can be a real fun trail. It's always intersting to watch the beginners faces when they look at the drop-in between the trees. Last year, I was carrying a little more speed than I realized and caught air when I wasn't expecting it on a snow whale on the right-hand side twords the bottom (on the lower part, just before the "glades"). It was a nice yard-sale

-Warren-
BushwackerinPA
September 28, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=29735 very interesting read on the East's harderest trail. With actual pitches on off it.

BTW Extrovert is not only the Middle alantics hardest run according to JimK article, but actually is as steep, or steeper than alot of "famous" trails. It is actually steeper than devil's fiddle@K-mart,Ovation@Kmart, Castle Rock@sugar, RipCord@Mt Snow, Tramline@Cannon,Denton Hill "triple" Black. It is just a steep as Outer Limits@Kmart .

Basically what i am saying is that we have one hell of trail.mountain in our own backyards.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 28, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=29735 very interesting read on the East's harderest trail. With actual pitches on off it.

BTW Extrovert is not only the Middle alantics hardest run according to JimK article, but actually is as steep, or steeper than alot of "famous" trails. It is actually steeper than devil's [Email]fiddle@K-mart[/Email],Ovation@Kmart, Castle [Email]Rock@sugar[/Email], [Email]RipCord@Mt[/Email] Snow, [Email]Tramline@Cannon[/Email],Denton Hill "triple" Black. It is just a steep as Outer [Email]Limits@Kmart[/Email] .

Basically what i am saying is that we have one hell of trail.mountain in our own backyards.

Oops. Good post Bushwacker. Didn't see this before I put up my latest "catch". Great minds think alike, although mine was blown when I read that Extrovert and Outer Limits have same slope angle.
jimmy
September 28, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
awlright u guys, crash n burn, spill the beans, quit teasing us an tell us where it's at??
kwillg6
October 17, 2005
2,066 posts
Quote:

awlright u guys, crash n burn, spill the beans, quit teasing us an tell us where it's at??

What are we looking for? I forgot cuz I've been visiting the UNTOPIC too much.
jimmy
October 17, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Been doing some thinkin'.... With the new trail @ t-line (to be named later) we may create some new favorites of our own after a good dump of pow-pow. Since this trail does intersect the old "crash and burn" of the 24 hour race, and with the trees in there, it is already aptly named. Put "crash and burn" up there with my favorites.

While we're on the subject, now that Tline has installed snowmaking on the drop, how about them whales? Any grooming (non) suggestions for OTW and the drop? Seems that the dbl black rating on hte drop was more due to thin cover/natural snow than terrain difficulty?
Kris
October 17, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Quote:

While we're on the subject, now that Tline has installed snowmaking on the drop, how about them whales?

Since when did this happen? This year? I only got to ski the drop once last year and i thought OTW was a much better slope with all the whales on it..It would be nice to have a few on the drop. Maybe i can ski it a lot more this year...
But this brings up a point...The new trail will be the main snowmaking concern this year...so the drop might not get the attention it deserves snowmaking wise.
kwillg6
October 18, 2005
2,066 posts
With t-line doubling it's pumping capacity, they should have enough snow to go around this year. I will be curious to see how much priority the new trail will have in the course of things though. My guess is that they will get lightening, salamander, dew drop open first, then probably winterset and the new trail with thunder, upper/lower, and the drop along with off the wall, in that order. Almost heaven, as usual, will be last. Perhaps if cold enough, with the additional pumping capacity, they could be open with a lot more terrain by Christmas.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.