Feed back for Telepalooza 2006
12 posts
7 users
1k+ views
pac
September 8, 2005
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
Appalachian Telemark Association in conjunction with the Western PA Ski Council and Seven Springs Mountain Resort is in the process of producing the 4th annual two day Telemark skiing festival tentatively set for January 28th and 29th 2006. We're waiting for final word from the resort as to the exact timing since this event.

We have had National Nordic Demo team members there in the past as instructors, and are working to have them this year as well. We also have a number of Level III PSIA instructors on board and even video some of the clinics for post review.

We have a GS slalom race, a phenomenal citizens uphill/downhill race that EVERYONE participates in and enjoys - including a kids division. A Tele bump challenge contest were skiers challenge other of equal to better skills for bragging rights and top notch clinics for all levels of Telemark skiing.

Food and drink are included in the gate price. Prizes were awarded last year from a number of sponsors and included clothing and gear as give aways / prizes. We also have demo of ski equipment - Karhu and Rossignol skis and Garmont and Scarpa boots.

We are really trying hard this year to have Garmont come thru with some kids demo boots as 1/4 of the participants are kids. We also let kids under age 16 come free to the festival with a paid adult. We feel are a regional growing event in the Mid-Atlantic area with a draw from the cities of Dayton and Columbus Ohio, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg Pennsylvania, Baltimore, Maryland Washington D.C. and Davis, West Virginia.

What we are looking for are positive ideas and feed back from you as to how to make the event better and add more value to you!

Thanks in advance and Ski Ya (in honor of DJ Brandee)! PAC - Pres. ATA www.telemarker.org
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 8, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
One suggestion: Make sure Chip Chase, the owner of White Grass, is involved.
kwillg6
September 8, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Ditto on the Chipster. He would definely bring another slant to the event.
pac
September 9, 2005
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
Thanks for the feedback folks!! However, Chip most likely will be unavailable since this event is held up at 7Spings (PA) and during a timeframe that, hopefully, is a busy period for him! Here's hoping for lots of snow to be had for all!
Usually we get a number of folks that show up from the WV (TL, CV, Snowshoe) and DC area for our event just for some change of scenery and for the difference in venue. Just keep us in mind that if the weather isn't as good as it could be in WV we usually have enough man made to cover what is needed!
It would be nice to see some new tele faces and hopefully I can hook up with you for some turns next time I'm at WG.
Oh, I'm sure Chip appreciates the positive thoughts too!
Be well, be happy! PAC
SpringsRegular
September 14, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Pac,

I just got a Tele setup and need to get it mounted. Anyplace outside of Willies who does the work? Thanks!
POWPOW
September 14, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
i have always done my own. its pretty simple. check it out here.
pac
September 14, 2005
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
POWPOW is corect! TT is a good place to start getting educated! And you really CAN do this on your own.
It helps if you have a jig ( I have some but not all) and I'm willing to lend out.
Willis can does this as well and have a fairly good track record in comparison to other shops out there.
The keys are what kind of rig are you mounting up, what is your style and application! Mounting T-boards is more of an art than a science IMO (that's my $.01).
Since your handle sort of indicates you a regular at 7S I'd be more then willing to meet up with you to discuss and assist if need be. I have the tools and technology. Shoot me a PM with details and we can discuss.
Think snow - or at least cold weather for snow making! Paul C.
pwillysim
September 15, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
Hey fellas, I have been an alpine skier for 26 years but I admit the telemark thing looks like a ton of fun. Would this telepalooza be a good time to give this technique a shot?
BrianS
September 15, 2005
Member since 09/15/2005 🔗
4 posts
If you don't want Willi's to do it, Exkursion in Monroeville will mount tele bindings. I've had them do several mountings, including a set of Hammerheads last year, and they've always done a good job.

Good to see lotsa Pittsburghers here. Perhaps we need a pghski.com?

Brian
SpringsRegular
September 16, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Quote:

If you don't want Willi's to do it, Exkursion in Monroeville will mount tele bindings. I've had them do several mountings, including a set of Hammerheads last year, and they've always done a good job.

Good to see lotsa Pittsburghers here. Perhaps we need a pghski.com?

Brian

Know exactly where that is. Perhaps I will pay them a visit.

Thanks!
pac
September 16, 2005
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
SpringsRegular - I think Alley or Rick are still there - they can do you right. Just make sure you ask that they have someone on board to mount yours. The other stores also have folks with experience so they stick can be shipped out. Again the key is the set up, your style and application of use! Some folks like chord some like balance some like between. The book - even the manufactures - are not 100% on the set up issue so talk to the person who is mounting so they understand were you are coming from and where you are going. :-) See you out there.
Exkursion is another option and they have some deep experience there. Good to work with and fast turnaround.
PS Boyce is also good for that mid week fix if there is snow. Gives you a change of scenery and some on / off time if you have a lamp or the moon! Sincerely in snow! Paul C.
pac
September 16, 2005
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
PWilly

Well with today's new gear (non-leather) the learning curve is pretty quick. With the number of years you have on Alpines you'd do just fine. If not better than fine!

The issue is when you first start you may feel like a novice - but that clears quickly.

As for technique and Telepaloozia 2006 - ABSOLUTELY!

One suggestion (since Telepaloozia 2006 is at mid season) is to try it first and just go out and make turns on the beginner / intermediate slopes. Any turn are good ones there - Alpine, Tele and yes snowboard (an instructor at Tele2006 will explain that). This is so you have some mileage and are not freaked out when you get into that instructional setting. Also when you are out ski over to any other teller and say hi and explain your situation - they will give you a tip or two to help you out (telers on whole are some of the friendliest folks around). Then when you show up your ready to rock and tele! Sincerely in snow! Paul C.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?