Favorite Ski Shop
16 posts
11 users
2k+ views
SCWVA
August 11, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I've seen a lot of discussion about Ski Chalet, but now that they are gone by the wayside, where are people going to shop for skis and snowboards?

What's your favorite ski shop and why?

I use to shop at Ski Chalet and Alpine Ski Shops almost exclusively. IMO - SC had that corporate feeling while ASS was more user friendly. ASS is family owned and run.

BTW - I got a flier from ASS and they have a number of sales coming up along with ski swap in October.
TerpSKI
August 11, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is "ASS"?

That is a seriously unfortunate acronym!!
comprex
August 11, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling, VA.

Not at all unfortunate if one is of a park&pipe/aggro skater mentality.

Of the two stores along the W&OD trail (ASS is not a mile from the Church road crossing), I prefer Pro-Fit in Leesburg, primarily for their bootfitting skills.

Anyone here do much business with Village Ski & Bike in Dumfries?

I understand they do a season rental program.
tromano
August 11, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Hi, welcome to ASS, would you like a refreshing beverage?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
August 11, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Of corse i'd like a cold beverage, but Who you callin' an ass?
Redman
August 11, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
Props to the East Coast Board Co. next to Hooters in Fairfax. Good boot, binding, and board selection along with knowledgable shop techs that will hook you up. I've been dealing with them since '87 or '88.
SCWVA
August 11, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Alpine Ski Shop actually has one of those egg shaped rear window stickers with the letters "ASS" on them.

The Profit shop in Leesburg is one of the only shops around that had any AT gear. I think they carried Naxo brand of AT bindings.
TerpSKI
August 11, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

Alpine Ski Shop actually has one of those egg shaped rear window stickers with the letters "ASS" on them.

I gotta get one of those.

Ski Center is my go-to place, but I have bought my last couple pairs of boards at resorts. I might be buying new boots in Breck this December. I kind of feel guilty; I am a bad customer.
TLaHaye
August 12, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
It's good to shop your local merchant, but I've gotta tell you ... two years ago, when a foot/ankle problem with some packed-out boots almost ruined my ski vacation, a podiatrist in Frisco (near Breck) and Danny at Christy's (at Breck) just saved the day.

Those folks really know their stuff, and neither guy charged me a dime (even though I tipped Danny a twenty).
dhy
August 13, 2005
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
2 posts
Quote:

Props to the East Coast Board Co.....

i recommended them to a buddy after another friend had positive experience there. the buddy bought a new board, boots, and binding. but when the strap on his binding broke on the first day he went back asking for a replacement and they blew him off saying it wasn't their responsibility. i've never gone back since.
dhy
August 13, 2005
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
2 posts
how is alpine ski shop when it comes to tuning snowboards? i bought my donek about 4 years ago and haven't tuned it at all, so i figure it's time to get some real work done on it. any other place in northern va?
comprex
August 13, 2005
1,326 posts
Quote:

It's good to shop your local merchant, but I've gotta tell you ... two years ago, when a foot/ankle problem with some packed-out boots almost ruined my ski vacation, a podiatrist in Frisco (near Breck) and Danny at Christy's (at Breck) just saved the day.

Yeah, if you know what you're looking for, especially parts! 20 minutes rummaging with staff help at a big-volume shop will get you further than weeks of phone calls. I've had really good experience with Christy Sports at Copper, with Racers' Edge at Breck, with Proctor Jones in Nashua, with Village Bike in Bend, etc. Most of those had been preceded by repeated "Not available" or "We can't get that for you" or "That won't work" from other shops. I've learned to be bullheaded on some of these things.
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 16, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
The Alpine Ski Shop (located in Sterling, Virginia) will be holding its Ski and Snowboard Clearance Sale August 19-22, 2005. Lots of discounts on 2004-2005 gear and a Wisp card with any purchase over $299, while supplies last. Their sale flyer is at:

http://www.alpineskishop.com/flyer.pdf

- Scott
JohnL
August 26, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
Is Alpine Ski Shop the same business that used to have a store in Oakton (off Route 123)?
comprex
August 26, 2005
1,326 posts
Yep, that's the one.

I want to know what Crush thinks about SkiTrucks
snowbird
September 8, 2005
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
boardparadise.com

Ski and Tell