Willi' Ski Shop
30 posts
18 users
17k+ views
GregKlein
July 26, 2005
Member since 07/26/2005 🔗
10 posts
It is with great enthusiasm that I write to you today. Sitting on my desk next to me are the keys to our new location in the DC area.

For 35 years our family run specialty ski and snowboard shop has taken care of ski and snowboard enthusiasts. We have had the pleasure of taking care of many visiting from the DC area especially at our Seven Springs location. It seemed natural then, when the opportunity presented itself, to expand to DC so as to offer our excellent service and products to those who are already familiar with us.

Our approach to business appears to be somewhat unique these days. It is based on people and relationships; that is to say the people that work at Willi's, the people who shop at Willi's and how they relate. With this in mind we are able to create a unique shopping experience, providing enthusiasts what they truly want. It is my impression that people want simplicity, connection and problem solving. They want it to be simple to get the answers and the merchandise they need, they want to feel connected in the sense that they want to know someone will be there to help them out and they want someone who is willing to go the extra mile to solve whatever problems may arise. When I see our customers joking around with our staff, trying gear on and getting excited about the winter I realize that is a natural relationship born of mutual respect and love for their sport. These are the values my father instilled in our business years ago, is a cornerstone of our business today and comes easily to those who work with us.

As you shop with us you will see that Willi's has the best service, brands and selection. You will be well cared for as our staff shows you that if there is ever a problem they will do the right thing and get it taken care of because we truly care about making sure our customers get what they need for the slopes.

Again, I truly look forward to serving you! If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Greg Klein
WillisFairfax@yahoo.com
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2005
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
What is the address?? Is it metro accessible?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 26, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
and when is shop open? and do you have a website?

Welcome Willi and Greg.
GregKlein
July 28, 2005
Member since 07/26/2005 🔗
10 posts
Thanks for the emails and posts.

I will try to answer as may questions and queries as possible. There are some that I cannot answer because I don't know myself

First of all our address will be

Willi's Ski Shop
Fairfax Court
11210 James Swart Circle
Fairfax, VA 22030

The phones will be hooked up in a couple of weeks
703-385-SNOW

There is a metro stop in Fairfax, I do not know if it is in walking distance.

We intend to open mid to late September and be 100% by October 1st.

We will host a Swap Sale at the end of October. A portion of the proceeds will go to the organization of the sellers choice, Breast Cancer Research or a Club, Patrol or Ski School.

We will not be able to honor other Ski Shop's gift certificates or merchandise credits.

We will be able to offer buy backs on other stores junior equipment/leases. If you have a receipt it will help.

We will have a state of the art back shop with new tuning machines from Wintersteiger.

Our Web site is down now for a complete overhaul. I will post a message as soon as it is up again.

I cannot comment on other shops situations. I do know that they have excellent employees, but I have no information regarding their upcoming season.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Sincerely,

Greg Klein
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
comprex
July 29, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
GregKlein, thanks for the responses and I wish your team the best of luck.

As I was browsing through the 'Letters to the Editor' section I noticed that no one had responded to Alex McLeod's TGR film hosting request. If it isn't too much to ask on top of what you're already doing, would the Willi's team consider of such a thing?
Reisen
August 3, 2005
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
I googled the address, and they will be located in Fairfax near the intersection of 29 (Lee Highway) and rte. 50. Not metro accessible, but very near 66. Should be a decent location.
jimmy
August 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey GregKlien, When is Willis preseason sale at 7 springs? Checked their website (couldn't find yours) and didn't see it on the schedule.
kennedy
September 13, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Yay for me, my office is really close to hear, about 1/4 of a mile. Definitely not Metro accessible but from 66 it's less than 2 minutes, very accessible. I recommend the Chinese buffet in the same plaza, along with Dave's Seafood and Subs (I know the name sucks but $5 for an awesome burger, fries and a soda can't be beat) Bravos has free beef sandwiches for happy hour and also it's about a 2-3 minute drive to Wegmans. All in all they could be seeing a bit of me. I've got board and skis in need of tuning so let's see what happens
SeaRide
September 13, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Metro accessible? YES.
For 50 cents, the Fairfax city CUE bus will take you there from the Vienna metro subway station.

click-->check the map (pdf)

click-->more info on CUE bus
kennedy
September 13, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Metro bus will too but its a 10 minute ride from the metro to their in a car via the most direct route (my commute every morning) so the bus is prolly going to take a lot longer because it's snake all over the place. I can also tell you from experience that the bus schedule is brutal around there, just way off the mark.
wojo
October 5, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Heard several radio ads on the radio today about their 50% off sale.

Anyone check it out yet? I need to get skis and boots for my youngest so we can avoid the rental lines.
kennedy
October 5, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'll go over and see if they have opened in Fairfax. If they are I'll post here later today.
kennedy
October 5, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Just called them, they will be open Friday at 10:00am and are starting out with a sale.
wojo
October 5, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
did you see gear for kids??
kennedy
October 6, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
No they are not open til Friday. I called before going over to see if they were but no dice. I'll check it out Friday and let you know.
jb714
October 8, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Went to Willi's in Fairfax today - picked up boots and skis for the kids. Also Oct 7,8 and 9 they have 7 Springs passes at the pre-season rate ($349 adult, $299 for kids). THat's nearly $200 cheaper than the current adult rate, and about $90 less for the kids.
kennedy
October 9, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Checked it out. Really nice store and super friendly helpful staff (and I really mean super helpful I was really blown away by the service). Good selection of stuff, mostly ski but a good selection of boards boots and bindings. A little light on the board softgoods like jackets and pants but what they have is good stuff.

They have new stonegrind tuning machines in shop and the cost of a tune for board or skis is $29.95. I dropped off my wifes skis and will prolly bring in my board for a work over too. I have to say I'm very impressed and since they are so close I'll have to give them a shot.
warren
October 10, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I first went to Ski Chalet to try to get my daughter outfitted for this season. They guys were nice but they really had't gotten much in they way of Jr skis in. I was looking for a higher level boot for her. After an hour, we ended up leaving. When we got to Willis, I was impressed by the Junior setup. They had a good stock of Skis for all different skiing styles and in an array of sizes. When it came time to look at boots, Greg personally helped us. What an enthusiastic and helpful individual!! He had my daughter try on several pairs of softer Women's boots (which are still considered to be in the trade-in program ) Ultimately, we got a pair of Rossi Bandit Jrs, Tyrolia bindings, Salomon Irony 4 Womens boots, and some new poles. Greg accepted the full trade-in value from my Ski Chalet Junior paperwork ($205.00). After the dust settled, I think the final cost to me was only about $260.00 . I'm very pleased and will go back again, a class act

-Warren-
cjf242
October 10, 2005
Member since 11/10/2003 🔗
30 posts
Stopped in to Willi's today just to have a look around. ended up leaving with googles and helmets for the wife and I. The staff at Willi's was very helpfull and super nice. We will be dropping of my wife's skis for some wax and tune. Highly recommend checking them out.
jb714
October 11, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
My experience at WIlli's Sat is on the mark with the other posts - the staff was very courteous and helpful. I bought boots for both of my daughters - the first young guy who helped us was (by his own admission) still learning how to fit boots, but there was another, much more experienced guy mentoring him, and he impressed me. I did meet Greg Klein - very affable fellow.
All in all, it was a very positive experience - and being able to pick up 2 season's passes for 7 SPrings at pre-season prices was an added bonus.
Kris
November 2, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Do they have a web site yet?
marcelbarbulescu
December 19, 2005
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
2 posts
My experience with Willi's was simply the best experience ever with a retailer. First, these guys are professionals, they know exactly what they are doing and what they are talking about. Also very friendly (by now I know probably about half of the personnel) and very willing to satisfy the customer. In my case, they really bended backwards to see me happy: after special ordering some snowboard boots that I wanted, they didn't fit well; after taking them back (they weren't really supposed to do it, being special order), they let me exchange two more pairs that I tried until I found the perfect fit. I'm a really happy customer and I'm sending all my friends over there...

PS: They also have really good prices. I'm the kind of guy who's researching a lot what's buying and the associated prices on the Internet. They have very competitive prices, even when comparing with Internet retailers and of course, you cannot beat the support.
kennedy
December 19, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
No kidding, by far the friendliest staff I have ever met. Top notch tunes and incredible customer service. Todd is da man. You have to try these guys out because they rocketh.
marcelbarbulescu
December 19, 2005
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
2 posts
I've been working the most with Todd and Luke and they were outstanding.
warren
December 20, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I had asked them earlier on about getting some cat tracks (things to protect the bottom of ski boots when walking around). They didn't have them but they took my name and number and said that they'd call me when they were in. I thought yea, sure, I'll have to keep checking. Anyway, they did call me when they came in . I went in and they only had larges. Todd went in the back and checked to see if there were any others. Then, he pulled boots off of the shelf to make sure that the cat tracks would fit my daughter's boots (bought from there). Once again, I got extremely helpful, friendly service. Willi's, keep up the great work!!

-Warren-
Aaron
December 22, 2005
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
I have only outstanding things to say about Willis. Luke has been great to work with, and they have the best prices for [competent] gear tune ups in the area - plus they don't go up the further you go in the season. My freind got boots from their, and they really took the time to make sure the boots fit well - no rushing and they all no what they're doing. Also, they're extremely freindly!
ltbluek2
February 21, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
Willi's is a great shop, I am sooo glad they opened in Ffx! The staff there is so helpful, they have great customer service & great prices. Can't say enough good things.
teleman
February 21, 2006
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
I do not recommend this shop. I gave them a try and received the worst ski tune in my 20+ years of skiing. They almost ruined my skis and another shop had to fix the bases.
kennedy
February 21, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I've had three tunes there this season 2 for my board and one for my wifes skis and both have been excellent. Sorry you had a bad experience but I've had nothing but good. My wifes skis were bought used and had been pretty banged up. Edges and base were not great, when they were done they looked like new. I had my board tuned there at the start of the season and again last week, both times it's been perfect.
SCWVA
August 7, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Greg,

During the 06/07 season, will you be selling discount lift tickets to any of the local ski areas?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.