Holy moly that's a lot of snow
11 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 16, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Talk about a snowstorm... I've shoveled my driveway five times today already, and there's an inch waiting to be shoveled as soon as I finish. I've run out of places to put the snow. (There's a pile in my yard that will probably still be melting in July.)

For anyone who's been able to make it to the slopes this weekend, I'm envious!

- Scott

ski_guy_59
February 16, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Your envious?! =) I just rode my bike through rain! Found out today my dad has a girlfriend...yay Enjoy the snow!!! One more month!
twin58
February 16, 2003
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Looks like locals only. If you live in Gettysburg, Hagerstown, or Emmitsburg, you're in luck.
JohnL
February 16, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Whoever paid for slope-side accommodations this weekend is certainly getting their money's worth. Johnfmh, I sure hope you went to Timberline this weekend.

Scott, I can relate to the driveway shoveling. I got a real long front walk and a 70 ft driveway (according to the survey of my house, but it seems a lot, lot, lot, lot longer with all this snow). No snowblower, I just have this antique old shovel left behind by the previous owners. I still have 20+ more feet before I reach the road, so it doesn't look like I'll beat the crowds to Whitetail tomorrow. Whoever does, enjoy. (Wish I had parked at the end of the driveway instead of in the garage.)

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 17, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
JohnL

Unfortunately, I'm not at Timberline this weekend, but friends staying in my place report having shovel snow away from first floor windows. I just got back from Lech and St. Anton in Austria. It seems that it snows everywhere I go. When I landed in Zurich ten days ago, Lech had just received 3 meters (9.8 feet) and all roads to the resort were closed because of a level 4/5 avalanche threat. I had to stay in St. Anton for a night until the police could blast along the roads--not a problem because St. Anton has some of the best terrain in Austria. It is Bode Miller's second favorite free ride space next to Chamonix. Anyway, I'm working on a two part article on the experience for DCSki so stay tuned.

Scott - DCSki Editor
February 17, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
So here's what's ironic about this storm. You would think receiving 2+ feet of snow would cause local ski resorts to be elated, but that's not the case. President's Day weekend is one of the most popular weekends at resorts -- with peak rates in effect -- but this snowstorm has prevented many people from driving to the slopes. Not only that, but many resorts in this area will need some time to groom the slopes -- and re-cut tubing runs, which have been swallowed away by the snow. Whitetail is only running two lifts today and might not be able to get the expert runs open today. They have too much snow on them.

On the plus side, this snow isn't going anywhere, and you'll find memorable conditions for the foreseeable future. Next weekend could be quite busy.

Meanwhile, I'm sore from all the shoveling yesterday. I looked out the window, and I can't see my driveway. <Sigh.> Looks like more shoveling today! Ugh.

- Scott

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 17, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Garrett county is reporting 40 inches, so I suspect more in the Canaan Valley. We all know what a snow hole that place is....I doubt my friends will make it out of there for at least another day. I could think of worse things in life than to be snowed in at a ski resort.

finsoutoc
February 17, 2003
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
hit roundtop yesterday and today. yesterday was better. for some unknown reason they groomed today. roads are super bad up here.
Jim
February 17, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
I was up at Liberty on Friday night and Saturday. Saturday morning was incredible with a few inches of powder on some groomed slopes. Eastwind was the bomb with totally kickin' bumps! Lower Eastwind's bumps are machine made so the lines are absolutely perfect! Unfortunately, it got pretty skied off by noon. I high-tailed it out of there Saturday night (wife and baby at home). Couldn't get back up Sunday or Monday.

I did, however, speak to some bud's of mine that were up there. Sunday was reported as beyond awesome. No chance for the powder to get skied off since it just kept coming and the crowds were super light. Mondayby contrast, was only fair. Apparently, although you would think the snow would continue to be awesome, it was only so-so. The problem was not quantity, but quality. A wave of sleet came through so there was some crust on top of the powder with crust underneath. To compound that, the groomers weren't able to keep up with all this snow and get the surface a more consistent packed powder. So although there were a couple of great ski days, give the groomers a bit more time to catch up. Skiing and boarding this weekend should be pretty intense!

JohnL
February 18, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
After all that shoveling, I'm mega-dosing on Vitamin I today.

Any word on the road conditions near Timberline or Wisp? I'm hearing news reports of 3 to 4 feet of snow in those regions and the roads are apparently a disaster. Even the locals may be having trouble reaching the slopes today.

canaanman
February 18, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Timberline was wonderful... well if wonderful consisits of staring out your first story windows into about 5 foot tall snow drifts realizing that you can't actually get to the hill because the front-end loaders haven't finished clearing more than 100 yards past the front gate. When we did get out today (hooray for front-end loaders) and went for some afternoon skiing, you could almost get a face shot worked up in Cherry Bowl. I would say a grand total of 40-50 inches fell, before it drifted. As I said in an earlier post, the Mid-Station at Timberline has no downramp. It is pretty much level. Congrats to the snow grooming and removal crews who made it possible for me to get out of the cabin today, since we were running low on food and supplies (what do you mean we're out of duct tape?). 12 hours of shoveling has put a drain on my body, so slumber is needed. I will write-up an indepth report later.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?