Ski Chalet and the "Dilly"
16 posts
10 users
4k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Does anyone have the current status of the Ski Chalet situation? Are they going to host the annual August "Dilly in Chantilly"? Or is there even a Chanitlly store in which to have the dilly?
The Colonel
therusty
July 26, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Well, their web site is still up. It says their Arlington, Shady Grove and Chantilly stores are still open. There is no mention of their Dilly sale, which they are usually advertising by now. Given that they were selling out to the bare walls, there should not be much old inventory left. If I were them, I'd put whatever was left up at rediculous discounts. Most people would get there, find everything gone and end up purchasing something from this year's line (probably clothing) that they could get without putting cash up.

As much as I love Ski Chalet, this may not be the year to leave your skis with them for their annual tune. I would want to hear some really definitive positive news before I risk having to fight to get my gear back.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
See item below I copied from today's Letters to the Editor section: "It is with great enthusiasm that I write to you today. Sitting on my desk next to me are the keys to our new location in the DC area.

For 35 years our family run specialty ski and snowboard shop has taken care of ski and snowboard enthusiasts. We have had the pleasure of taking care of many visiting from the DC area especially at our Seven Springs location. It seemed natural then, when the opportunity presented itself, to expand to DC so as to offer our excellent service and products to those who are already familiar with us.

Our approach to business appears to be somewhat unique these days. It is based on people and relationships; that is to say the people that work at Willi's, the people who shop at Willi's and how they relate. With this in mind we are able to create a unique shopping experience, providing enthusiasts what they truly want. It is my impression that people want simplicity, connection and problem solving. They want it to be simple to get the answers and the merchandise they need, they want to feel connected in the sense that they want to know someone will be there to help them out and they want someone who is willing to go the extra mile to solve whatever problems may arise. When I see our customers joking around with our staff, trying gear on and getting excited about the winter I realize that is a natural relationship born of mutual respect and love for their sport. These are the values my father instilled in our business years ago, is a cornerstone of our business today and comes easily to those who work with us.

As you shop with us you will see that Willi's has the best service, brands and selection. You will be well cared for as our staff shows you that if there is ever a problem they will do the right thing and get it taken care of because we truly care about making sure our customers get what they need for the slopes.

Again, I truly look forward to serving you! If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Greg Klein
WillisFairfax@yahoo.com

Good News!!!???
The Colonel
skibiz
July 28, 2005
Member since 07/28/2005 🔗
5 posts
All-- Ski Chalet was officially sold via court auction yesterday to an outfit called Sun & Ski Sports , out of Houston. As one of the parties who have been pursuing the purchase of Ski Chalet since January, this marks a point to turn the page and move on.

For me and others, this has been an arduous, frustrating (and expensive) process. I don't feel discussions with the sellers and their representatives have been on the "up and up" most of the time, but those I feel most for are the management (not owners) and employees.

I don't know what S&S's plans are for Ski Chalet and the "dilly" but I hear that Willy's and maybe other's might be entering the market.

Best of luck to those who have been a part of Ski Chalet (not necessarily the owners), -- maybe if and when I open a store on my own, I would love to have some of you work there.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
MadMonk
July 28, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Did Sun & Ski used to have a place in Arundle Mills?
skibiz
July 28, 2005
Member since 07/28/2005 🔗
5 posts
I don't know. I have been told by someone in the industry that they have filed for bankruptcy twice in the past but I don't know if that is true. I hear now that they have quite a few stores in Texas and possibly Ohio.
snowcone
July 29, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
There was a Sun & Sun at Arundel Mills that closed in the spring of 2002; mother company filed for bankruptcy we were told. They carried ski and board gear, boots, etc., and run-of-the-mill outerwear plus a few high end Bogner, Spyder pieces. Yeah, well, I remember expensive brand names; female genetic trait. As I recall their inventory goods quality was roughly between Galyans and Ski Chalet with emphasis on K2, Rossi and Salomon. They had one of those mechanical ski carpet machines that simulated a hill. It was kinda fun!

We did not buy any big ticket items from them so I have no idea of their service quality etc. The one thing I do remember was a gorgeous Colnago carbon bike marked down from $3200 to $1500 that was just that tad too big for me; it was 51cm and I ride 48. I lusted after that bike for weeks!
MadMonk
July 29, 2005
235 posts
My wife got her boots there (Arundle Mills). The guy was actually a transplant from Steamboat who came back East with his girl. He was pretty patient and did a realy good job explaining to my wife why ski boots shouldn't fit like sneakers and how some inserts would really help her comfort level. I was sad to see the place close as we only live a few miles away.
comprex
July 29, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

M I was sad to see the place close as we only live a few miles away.

And yet there is an apparently thriving, quite decent ski shop in Lexington Park, MD. of all places.

They don't sell Colnagos, maybe that's it.
SeaRide
July 29, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

And yet there is an apparently thriving, quite decent ski shop in Lexington Park, MD. of all places.

They don't sell Colnagos, maybe that's it.

If you mean the Powder Mtn Ski shop on Rt 235 in Lexington Park, Md .. sorry it's gone .. out of business.
MadMonk
July 29, 2005
235 posts
I don't even know where Lexington Park is. I know Princeton Sports is nearby but I've never liked that place as I've always found the staff a bit stand-offish.
comprex
July 29, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Ah. Thanks SeaRide. When was this?
SeaRide
July 29, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

Ah. Thanks SeaRide. When was this?

Last month. I drive by that place everyday to work. Now the building space is empty as I look at it yesterday.
gmhowell
August 6, 2005
Member since 08/6/2005 🔗
1 posts
Any idea what happened? My son was just getting old enough to start skiing (and serve as an excuse for me to get into it again). What decent shops are there in So. Md. these days? I haven't been to a shop other than Powder Mtn. since the early 90's.
skitech
October 6, 2005
Member since 03/17/2005 🔗
12 posts
go to ski chalet we are still doing the jr trade in, call shady grove 1-301-948-5200
Glenn_C
October 6, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Besides PM, Southern MD has one other decent ski shop that I know of in Waldorf. It's in the shopping Center with the Circuit City. Their pricing is a little high and limited selection but a couple of the techs are pretty knowledgeable. Still....worth a drive up to Ski Center in DC if you're buying serious equipment...but not a bad shop for limited apparel, backup goggles, set of poles, etc...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.