Possibility of bus trips: any interest?
15 posts
6 users
5k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 6, 2000
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
No promises yet - but it may be possible to arrange one or more midweek bus trips to Ski Liberty, Ski Roundtop, and/or Whitetail this season. If enough people sign up, these resorts have offered to possibly cover the bus fare, selling lift tickets at the regular midweek price.

I'm not sure where the bus would depart from or any other details - this is just in the very early planning stages.

I'm trying to determine how many readers would actually participate in a trip like this. If this is something that you'd be interested in, please post to the board or send me e-mail at scott@dcski.com. (Include the number of people you would bring, and the best place to depart from. This isn't a sign-up at this point - just an informal poll to see if this idea is worth pursuing.)

Thanks,

- Scott

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2000
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
That's a great idea. Couple of questions, though:

1. We understand it would it be a midweek.
2. If it is a mid-week - Would it be day or night skiing?
NOTE: If it's a day midweek, you can forget many of us. If it's an evening midweek, it would be awesome. I can't tell you just how many times I've wanted to drive up to some of the nearby areas but I'll be crazy if I do the driving.

Gill
January 7, 2000
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
I'd also be interested in a mid-week evening trip. However, not until the conditions get quite a bit better. No sense making the trek when no intermediate or advanced slopes are open at Whitetail.
(Anonymous)
January 7, 2000
Add 2 more to the 'interested' list. I don't want to have to deal with the driving myself, especially after a hard day of skiing!
(Anonymous)
January 7, 2000
might be interested in night trips, especially friday nights. also interested in twilight trips (departing after noon) on 1/21 and 3/17 (if any snow). would also consider any other weekday trips you arrange esp on mondays or fridays. could possibly have 2-4 participants. departures from a couple central locations like pentagon and montgomery mall might be good.
Gill
January 10, 2000
61 posts
Night trips would be great, especially now that Liberty stays open till midnight!
Tknogeek
January 12, 2000
Member since 01/26/2000 🔗
5 posts
Scott,
Bus trips sound great. It seems there's more interest for night skiing though.

I drove out to Massanutten last Friday night. You just can't beat the $15/20 night lift tickets (5-10pm). Conditions were good actually. But...that 2 hour drive back was NOT fun. I recommend trying a Friday night bus trip. However, I'd participate in a weekday trip too. I can bring 2 others along as well. I don't mind contributing for the bus; it would be SUPER to not drive when I'm wiped out from skiing!

tknogeek@netzero.net

(Anonymous)
January 20, 2000
Add 5 more to the list!
(Anonymous)
January 23, 2000
Sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested in a bus from the Baltimore area - for weekday day or evening trips.
(Anonymous)
January 25, 2000
Count me in for two. When do we leave?
(Anonymous)
January 27, 2000
Liberty is open until midnight? Their web pages say: open until 10pm
Gill
January 27, 2000
61 posts
Yep! I was there a few weeks ago and an instructor told me they were extending their hours till midnight. I don't know if this only applies for weekends or weeknights too.
Jim
January 28, 2000
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Liberty is open til midnight tomorrow only. I understand from Liberty management this is a radio promo (DC 101) and not a change in regular operating hours. There was another "late night" special earlier in January and will be another one in February. Otherwise, the hours still remain 8am to 10pm.
(Anonymous)
January 29, 2000
Bus trips sound great, especially for those of us who, if you can believe it, don't have a car.
That being the case, DC area departure points that are Metro accessible would be key.
Thanks Scott.
(Anonymous)
January 30, 2000
I am very interested in the bus trip. I live in the Southern Maryland area so if anyone wanted to carpool to the bus please post something about it. I have one day off during the week so I would be interested in day and/or night.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?