Whiteface/Gore Mtns
11 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Glenn_C
May 19, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
I just booked a chalet for Christmas '05 in Lake Placid. Whiteface looks awesome from the maps and screen shots I've seen. I was hoping someone on the board may be able to shed some first hand light on this mountain. Anybody been or know someone that's been?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
May 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Glenn,
First the disclaimer, I have not skied Whiteface in many years. But here is what I remember...incredable mountain, cold, COLD, WIND, WIND, ICE, Lake Placid a lovely village, lots to do. Whiteface, a skiers mountain.
Hope this helps...carry your ear flaps!
The Colonel
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 20, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I've been there a couple times, around Christmas 1971 and Feb 2000. I briefly wrote about my impressions of Whiteface in this story for DCSki:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=386&mode=headlines
My remarks were probably a bit harsh. I have never visited the town of Lake Placid and I'm sure that will add to the enjoyment of your Christmas visit. If you are a super expert and mother nature cooperates you are in for some of the most challenging terrain in the East. Otherwise, Whiteface will probably encourage you to raise your skiing/boarding game. It is not a place for mindless cruising. The runs down from the highest point are long and scenic, including at least one for solid intermediates, but they are exposed to harsh wind/weather and these trails can sometimes have less than stellar snow surfaces. The terrain over on Little Whiteface (not so little) is served by a newish gondola and is pretty steep. Here's an aerial shot of the upper half of mtn: http://community.webshots.com/photo/78147708/78149451HIlnNF
Here's an old thread that had some talk about Whiteface: http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showfl...h=true#Post8438
You should have an interesting trip. No Eastern skiers portfolio is complete without checking out that massive vertical drop at Whiteface. The Old Bryan Inn in Saratoga Springs is a good place to eat coming or going to Whiteface and is close to the interstate.
PS: I hope you'll tell us about your trip afterwards, and Gore is worth almost as much attn as Whiteface, very significant ski area too, skied it around 1986 (it used to get crowded on weekends from NYC folks).
SCWVA
May 20, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Jimk,

Is the chute off to the right in the aerial photo lift accessible and open to skiers? It looks pretty steep.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 20, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
That chute is called The Slides and was designated as part of the ski area boundary "open to the public" a few years ago, but only rare occasions when snow depths cooperate. It is so steep it doesn't hold snow well and some seasons does not open at all. If you click on "view entire album" when looking at the aerial shot you can see more photos of Whiteface terrain.
wgo
May 20, 2005
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Does anyone know which Whiteface trails were used for World Cup races and for the 1980 Olympics?
Glenn_C
May 20, 2005
67 posts
Thanks for the write ups Jim. I had spoken with the realtor and she had echoed the Colonels assessment. COLD winters and the exposure of the mountain exacerbates the cold. I doubt I'll be taking a crack at the slides anytime soon but will certainly attempt the summit ski. Can't wait...
I've read up on the slides and they say it is predominantly frozen waterfalls and rock faces with a snowpack. And the glades are steep and THICK with pines...real thick!! Too much for me this late in the game. I'll stick to the single diamonds. 6 or 7 months till start of season??? I'm not sure I'll make it. New Zealand will be looking mighty enticing come June/July. Thanks for the Whiteface references. I've forwarded to my sisters, brother and nieces. Just enough to spark the interest.
shearer519
May 21, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Well wouldn't you know as soon as I see someone looking for the race courses at whiteface I come across a great picture that shows how all the courses were laid out. Check it out
http://teachski.com/pcindex2004/skiLakePlacid03.jpg
Roger Z
May 21, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hi Glenn-

I grew up in upstate New York and have experience with both hills. Like some other folks here, my experience at Whiteface is a bit outdated but weather changes slowly- it will be brutally cold and windy unless you go in April (or you get lucky). Also the nickname of Whiteface is "Iceface," and it's got that name for a reason. Bring your edges.

I've skied at Gore more recently. Gore has definitely stepped up its expert game with a couple of attention-getting runs off the summit, but it is an all-around fun mountain. Solid advanced and intermediate mountain and the runs spill in all directions, which results in the mountain skiing much bigger than it actually is. I would recommend going there for at least a day, if not two. Probably one of the hidden gems of the east coast. Moonshine Mountain will be better of course!
Glenn_C
May 22, 2005
67 posts
Roger,
Yup...the cold is something we're going to have to contend with I guess. We'll be going 12/21-12/28. It's not like a Feb/Mar kind of cold but the folks in Placid said it is cold enough that time of year to have Mirror Lake frozen solid enough for ice skating at Christmas.
Whiteface is a beautiful mountain...it's a shame the exposure has such ill effects on the conditions. We'll definitely do Gore for at least one day. The week passes we're getting include both mountains.
Have you done or know anyone that's done the slides? That side of the hill looks absolutely ferocious. Seriously extreme stuff.
Roger Z
May 22, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Maybe someone else does; they were opened long after I left NY. There probably won't be enough snow by Christmas time to get them open though. Have a good trip and don't forget to provide us all a report!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?