Canaan Valley Snowfall
8 posts
4 users
1k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 27, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Whitegrass is reporting 132 inches as of this morning. It is also reporting that 12-42 inches of snow can be found in the woods around the touring center. This is definitely shaping up to be a memorable year.
canaanman
January 27, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Yes... but let's hope that this does not become memorable for something else, such as a huge flood or thaw making the Valley inaccessible for months. I'm just afraid that with the warmer temps this week the snowbanks around the driveway are going to melt then freeze as a puddle in the driveway at night.
MitchH
January 27, 2003
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
Skiing at White Grass this past Saturday was the best backcountry skiing I think I have EVER seen out there. Absolutely delightful powder in the trees. In fact, I have been on backcountry trips to Colorado and British Columbia where we never found snow conditions as good.

Skied at Timberline on Sunday (took their telemark clinic, their clinics are absolutely wonderful and their instructors are great) and conditions there were also super-excellent (though not even close to the backcountry conditions that can be found away from the resort trails). What a winter!

(Anonymous)
January 28, 2003
I was at Canaan on MLK day and there were spots in the woods of over knee deep powder, it was very tuff to get out of if you fell
MitchH
January 28, 2003
41 posts
Yes, me and my ski buddy found really deep powder down towards the creek on the North side of Bald Knob. Made our climb out terrible. Hopefully will get to ski some more of it on Saturday before the predicted warm up by Sunday ruins the perfect powder.

Have never skied Mt. Porte Crayon, maybe ask Chip. I always ski starting from White Grass because I like getting the beer, home made cookies and comraderie at the end of the day.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 29, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Mitch

Is there really over 40 inches in spots in the woods? That sounds HUGE!

Also, have you skied Porte Crayon yet this season? If so, can you tell us about it?

John

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-28-2003).]

(Anonymous)
January 29, 2003
Is snowboarding possible in this area, or would it be too labor intensive
MitchH
January 29, 2003
41 posts
With the deep snow (and to use any of White Grass's trails) you will need snowshoes if you are carrying a board. They rent snowshoes at White Grass.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.