AT Gear
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
SCWVA
May 2, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Does anyone have any expertise on AT gear? I would like to do some backcountry touring, but I don't want to learn how to tele. Any info would be great in regards to skins, width & length of ski, etc.
comprex
May 4, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
SCWVA, you don't need to buy ALL that stuff right away.
Alpine Trekker and skins should get you started at least.

Beyond that, try going to the wildsnow site:
http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/at_skis_tips/at_tips_list.htm
SCWVA
May 4, 2005
1,052 posts
Comprex,

I've looked into the Alpine Trekkers, but if I'm gonna spend the $ I may as well buy some AT bindings and mount them on a pair of skis I already have. I just don't know if these skis are the right width and length for BC skiing. I'll take a look at the article. Thanks for the info.
comprex
May 4, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Well enuff SCWVA.

My thinking was that the bindings and the boots kinda go together, and that is going to be a considerable chunk of $change$ (not counting driving to wherever you need to have them fitted).

The skis themselves? That's easy. Take what you would ski comparable terrain with now. Then think about making it lighter. Then think about how much boot you need to work THAT.
POWPOW
May 10, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
If your going to earn turns all day the weight of the setup and the comfort of the boots makes all the difference in doing 1 run or all day. the AT boots are going to be way more comfortable than your alpines and much lighter as well. The skis are also lighter than what your used to. Telemarkski.com has some demos for sale and end of season blowouts.Or you could turn to the "good side" and ditch your alpines for Tele.
SCWVA
May 10, 2005
1,052 posts
POWPOW,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I want to take the time (or have the time) to go through the learning curve, so I could get to the point where I would be able to rip up the pow in the BC. I would love to learn how to Tele, it looks unbelievably graceful and fun. But I think my old worn out knees would take a beating if I took up Tele. May be the knees won't let me get to the "Good Side".
Crush
May 10, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
think Fritschi Diamir Titanal 3 Alpine Touring Binding. Skins .... get whatever fits but don't get the "strap on" kind just the adhesive ones ... don't forget some de-icer spray for the skins, whatever you choose.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?