What are your offseason plans?
34 posts
16 users
10k+ views
MadMonk
April 8, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Since this is the last weekend for skiing around here I figued it could be fun discuss our plans for this offseason.

Below is my checklist.

1. Buy new skis.
2. Continue training for the marathon (either MCM or Baltimore).
3. Cut the grass and dream about skiing.
4. Start looking for cheap flights to Utah for next year.
5. Get up to Snowshoe at least once this spring/summer for some fly fishing.
Murphy
April 8, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Where do you fly fish at snowshoe?
wvrocks
April 8, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Finish building my house near Canaan
Hike the Allegheny Trail with my wife across WV
Get in some mountain biking, motorcycling and fly
fishing when I'm not busy
MadMonk
April 8, 2005
235 posts
I never have (even fly fished that is) but I've seen guys in the rivers on the way up fly fishing and one of my buddies said he'll teach me (he has a few extra rigs). I figured that w/in an hour's drive that there must be a couple of decent places.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
skier219
April 10, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I never have (even fly fished that is) but I've seen guys in the rivers on the way up fly fishing and one of my buddies said he'll teach me (he has a few extra rigs). I figured that w/in an hour's drive that there must be a couple of decent places.

We take routes 250 to 220 to 84 to 28/92 to 66 to get to SS in winter. There are streams along several of those routes, and apparently the trout fishing is supposed to be excellent there. The streams certainly look promising!

Craig
kennedy
April 11, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Do some minor renovation work. Get married. Mountainboard every opportunity I get. Get back into Kung Fu training so I'm in good shape by next season.
kwillg6
April 11, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Some of you guys are real hard core!!! I spend my summers with the honey do list that I have ignored for the past five months (skiing has it's priority ) Actually, new boots are in the cards for me. 140 days in the same bladders make them sloppy. Might even buy new footbeds since my old ones are 14 years old. Renovate my northwoods condo at t-line, mow my yard, and finish my career as a high school track/cross country coach. Oh, I almost forgot....drink beer! It's as essential now as it is for apres ski only I have to do it in the hot and sticky.
jimmy
April 11, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Monk, Hate to make planz too far in advance for the unseason but I do find it helps with the depression.

APRIL- Read "Ski the Whole Mountain", get taxes done, find house in CV area to rent for next season , work in yard......did some recon over the weekend, seems my yard is bigger than I remember, play some golf.....a very poor substitute for skiing, do a little bit of cloud skiing...
MadMonk
April 11, 2005
235 posts
If you're depressed and need to daydream simply go to alta.com and click on the pic of the day section in the snow report.
Glenn_C
April 11, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Kwilig....I heard Northwoods just got hit with a wicked 10k per owner special assessment for major renovations. Any truth? How's it going over with the HOA?
kwillg6
April 12, 2005
2,066 posts
Glenn_C, That's old news which began about four years ago with the new roofs, now the siding, doors, landscaping, etc.... Depends upon what size unit it is as well. A one BR is not too bad but the price tag for a 2br+loft is close to the 10k figure. However, these properties have doubled in value (or what they are selling for) in the past year. There are some former owners who were critical of the fix-up who are now regreting the selling of their units. I know that everytime I stop by in the realitys in the valley, they ask if I want to sell my unit. There evidently is a wait list for them in spite of the assessment. A 11/2 br unit next to mine is/was on the market for 110k and the owner wouldn't accept anything less than asking price. Go figure.
nakedskier
April 12, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
I'm moving out to Denver!!! Finally bit the bullet and going to grad school at DU. I'll become a regular at places like Keystone, Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek with their Eagle County Pass!!

If anyone on this site is out in Denver next winter, look me up! I'll tour you around... I can't promise I'll be like Crush but I'll do my best!

I'll be creeping around this site when I'm gone as well. This is the best ski site I have ever seen!
jimmy
April 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
That's a pretty cool off season plan! Congratulations and good luck.

jimmy
Rickh
April 13, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
The $$$ at Northwoods have gone through the roof. Yes, that 1br + loft did sell for $109K plus I drove up to possibly purchase a 2br +loft they got an all cash offer for full price $197,500 the same day the listing went on the market.

That said, they are still waaaay below Snowshoe pricing!!!!
JohnL
April 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Get married.

Tough to top that one!

I need a new pair of boots, but I won't worry about that until August or so. I'll periodically sniff around the Net for any deals on skis. The quiver is back in acquisition phase!

For reading, I've got some new ski instruction books and Epic instruction threads to consume.

Hopefully, I'll be hitting the gym more during the warm months. Maybe even do some pylometric training. Maybe not! Plenty of ice hockey, roller hockey, soccer, beach volleyball and other sports. The hockey actually requires more balance/agility than does skiing. Think tree skiing where the trees are swinging at you.

I'm as much a beach bum as a ski bum, so the warmer months can be a lot of fun.

Like a lot of others on this thread, my honey-do list will unfortunately consume a lot of my time this off-season. I've got 5 trees and 18 shrubs that will be delivered this week that need to be planted, watered and cared for. Plus, I'll be planting more trees & shrubs later on this year. Plus install a patio. Paint the inside of my house. Paint a couple of sheds. Ugh!
JohnL
April 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

seems my yard is bigger than I remember

I swear mine gets bigger every year!

And I forgot. Drink. Beer.
jimmy
April 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I KNEW that "free beer" comment Kev made in letter to editer would smoke you out!
kennedy
April 21, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
30 days and closing to the big day John

Made my first mountainboard turns of the season last weekend. Forgot how fast that thing is but it definitely reminds me of making carves on hardpack. I think I'll hit Bryce and Wisp at some point during the summer seeing as they allow boards on their mountain.
bawalker
April 21, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Board, wheels, unforgiving harder ground, I may have to pass. lol
kwillg6
April 22, 2005
2,066 posts
Quote:

Quote:

seems my yard is bigger than I remember

I swear mine gets bigger every year!

And I forgot. Drink. Beer.

We are talking yards here, aren't we?
jimmy
April 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
LOLOLOL kwill, Yeah i was referring to my yard. Can't speak for JohnL though; not sure how all that "free beer" affects him.
jimmy
August 25, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Get married.

Tough to top that one!

I need a new pair of boots, but I won't worry about that until August or so. I'll periodically sniff around the Net for any deals on skis. The quiver is back in acquisition phase!

JohnL, I think i'm w/you on needing new boots. Have you started shopping yet? We'd (I'd) be interested in your thoughts on whats hot and whats not. I'm not much of a shopper, more of a buyer.
JohnL
August 25, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Jimmy,

Thanks for reminding me that summer is almost over. I'll head over to Ski Center sometime during September to start my boot buying odyssey. In the meantime, I'll spend this weekend looking at the ski mags and drinking some beer.

I have to admit that I'm not that up on new boot technology since my boots tend to last a long time (especially if you can get replacement liners every few years.) I'll be curious to see how custom-fit liners have evolved. My previous boots had silicone-injected liners (which mold to your feet.) With silicone liners, as long as the shell is sized properly, you don't have to worry much about pressure points or loose spots. Its an amazing feeling putting the boots on for the first time, since every square millimeter of your foot is in contact with the boot.
BushwackerinPA
August 25, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 25, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The site you referenced will not open.
The Colonel
BushwackerinPA
August 26, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
You right the link is dead . I will ask the owner of the site what happened.
JohnL
August 26, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

(I'd) be interested in your thoughts on whats hot and whats not.

Most important things to look for in a boot:

Proper fit. Proper fit. Proper fit. Proper fit.
Roy
August 27, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Even though I just trashed the SKI Magazine equipment issue....

SKI Magazine had a good article on proper boot fitting.
jimmy
August 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

(I'd) be interested in your thoughts on whats hot and whats not.

Most important things to look for in a boot:

Proper fit. Proper fit. Proper fit. Proper fit.

Yup, Think the plan will be to hit autumn fest at 7S for willis pre season sale; maybe find something left over from last year i can't live without.
BushwackerinPA
September 1, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
http://www.autoxphotos.com/thumb.asp?siz...re%20032a%2Ejpg

Here is how spent my summer, cause i hate gasoline.
SCWVA
September 1, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Do you get better gas mileage with only three wheels on the pavement?

Looks like fun.
JohnL
September 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
What are my offseason plans?

When I'm asked this at the end of next season, maybe I'll finally give a realistic response:
  • Do as little work as possible around the house.
  • Get as out-of-shape and lazy as a humanly possible.

jimmy
September 7, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
LOL JohnL, your plan for next unseason sounds an awful lot like the way this unseason worked out for me! . Chasing Toro around the yard usually occupies 3 to 6 hours a week but with the warm dry weather we had this summer it didn't need cut for 4 weeks and, for good measure i let it go for another 2 weeks. Looks like a hayfield.
kwillg6
September 8, 2005
2,066 posts
Jimmy, I envy anyone with a hayfield Tried to grow one myself but too many critters moved into the neighborhood used to chase toro too, but it died. Now I just ride a bucking 'bota. Went cloud skiing again last weekend. Much better than the first attempt.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?