What's Timberline waiting for?
3 posts
3 users
myrto
January 15, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
With over 90 inches of snowfall so far this winter what is it going to take for T-line to open all their slopes.
If they can't open now I would think they never will.

What could they possibly be waiting for?

Any clues?

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
They must be saving the drop for Glen Plake. He's supposed to be there tomorrow...No joke.
MitchH
January 15, 2003
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
I think this topic has been discussed in a number of other discussion threads. Basically, the way I understand it, Timberline opens slopes "one at a time" in a way to minimize labor costs and the need for snowmaking equipment. Saying that, I have found it perplexing that often slopes that seem in prime condition remain closed (I think Upper Almost Heaven stayed closed until almost the end of the season last year even though it had ample snow by mid season; and when I skied Timberline a few weeks ago Upper Dew Drop was closed despite plenty of snow); there may be some problems with management but I think the bottom line is trying to run the resort with minimum costs. Seems justified, I guess, since outside of key holiday and midwinter weekends, the resort is never very crowded. But it is a little perplexing how they can still have some slopes closed after two full months of cold winter weather and 90 inches of snow.

On a positive note, Timberline does make an effort to stay open till early April, and often has the best end of season skiing of any local resort other than Snowshoe. They can often stay open even past early April if people kept coming to ski there.

Would like to ski Timberline with these great conditions recently, but I have been too distracted by the great backcountry snow in West Virginia and the iceclimbing up north.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.