9 posts
6 users
2k+ views
therusty
April 5, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Visited those 3 from 3/26 to 4/3.

JH closed on 4/3 for the season. Great snow conditions despite a low snow year. The base was 75-80" and had one powder day (7") and a couple of dusting days. I got guided around to some fairly steep stuff, but Corbett's was not safe to jump in.

I hit Snowbird coming and going, but missed the big snow days. Base depth is over 200" now. Many lifts have ropes underneath sections due to very high snow depth. Bird plans to stay open until May 17th, then on weekends after that. The snow up top is in great condition. There was a cool fracture line underneath the Gad 2 chair (can you say ERP!?).

Beaver is small place outside of Logan (NW Utah). They've added new terrain since my last visit. The prices are cheap and the lifts are slow, but there's not a lot of people so when it snows there's tons of untracked. Lot's of cruiser terrain and tons of tree skiing.
KevR
April 5, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Where be beaver in relation to SLC? "Bird -- may17th huh... wow!
MangyMarmot
April 5, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
I was just at Snowbird yesty (Mon 4/4). Had fresh snow coming all day. The snow was nice (racked up about 14 inches), but visability was nil. It was like skiign in mashed potatoes.

I took the tram to the top, intending to head down into Mineral Basin and couldn't even see there was a basin.

Followed a couple people down the front, letting them be the guinea pigs in case of ravines or obstacles. Once they'd ski more than 50 feet in front of me, I couldn't see them at all. I think we went down something called Regulator??

After that, I stayed on Gad2 and the detachable quad (that's Gadzoom or something, I think).

Visibility was better, though still pretty sketcch. The snow was awesome.

Today, we skiied Brighton, which also had 14 inches of freshies. Awesome.

Another big storm is due in Thursday, I believe.

mm
jimmy
April 6, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
MM-Regulator Johnson, the traverses must have been fun w/50' visibility . We did the traverse over there and the TRAVERSE was tough, right leg 30" above the left, i've asked the question here before what is a "real black diamond?" It was groomed down the middle, bumped up a little by the time we got there. Question answered.

Didja make it into the bowl under ?little cloud chair? We also had a good time on the right side of the tram, follow chips run for a little while you'll find a bowl to jump into followed by iirc another bowl, natural half pipe..aaaahhh, i could spend the rest of my life at Snowbird. We didn't have access to the tram and had to ski alot to get out and back into the Gulch.

May 17, KevR?
jimmy
April 6, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Rusty, Is it typical for JH to close 1st weekend in April? I guess it's true that ski season ends due to lack of skiers, not snow. Were conditions still good there?
therusty
April 6, 2005
422 posts
KevR,

Beaver is about 2.5 hours North of SLC. You go up 15. Just past Ogden, you peel off on US 89 and go through Logan, then up into the hills.
therusty
April 6, 2005
422 posts
JH was closing due to lack of skiers. I got the impression that they would have liked to go a little later, but not much. Also, bordering the Teton park, they need to close relatively early due to bears waking up. It was a low snow year for them.

The lower half of the mountain was getting pretty mushy at the end of the day. The Hobacks were thin but skiable. Corbett's was open, but fairly dangerous due to a rock sticking out in the middle of the run out. In general though, the top half of the mountain was in fantastic shape with tons of soft snow and very few rocks showing through on the extreme steeps.
Roy
April 7, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

JH was closing due to lack of skiers. I got the impression that they would have liked to go a little later, but not much. Also, bordering the Teton park, they need to close relatively early due to bears waking up.

It's not the lack of skiers it's because they are on a land grant from Teton National Park and must close around the first of April (probably because of the bears waking up). They have always closed around that date.
catskills
April 8, 2005
Member since 06/29/2004 🔗
53 posts
JH opening and closing dates are scheduled around Elk Migration. Don't forget the Elk droppings on the ski trails.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?