Canaan Snow
17 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Glenn_C
April 3, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Just got back from Canaan...had to go up Saturday for a condo meeting and woke up this morning to 6" of fresh snow on the ground. It started slushing up by 2 pm or so but what a blast seeing the faint mirror of last years April snow. The drag of it is...I left my skis back home stowed for the season. Given Canaan's April history, I should have known better but I seriously did not see this one coming with midweek temps in the 70's. The neighbors said Timberline was awesome with the fresh surface powder....no heavy slush turns and the snow was fast. Anybody have an opportunity to partake this weekend?
bawalker
April 4, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I take it conditions will be too degraded for an hour and half trip up tomorrow?
kwillg6
April 4, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I spend the last weekend of the season enjoying what would have been considered very good conditions during the normal season. Anyone who missed it, too bad. I met up with a couple of DC Ski folks up there on Saturday and did OTW until my legs were rubber. The rains of late week seemed to set the snow and conditions on Saturday were soft but very enjoyable. ON SUNDAY.... we awoke to 5" of fresh with another several falling during the day. The only downside was the winds...gusts to 59mph which made the chair ride um...interesting. They had to slow the chair down even slower than normal (if you can believe that) to keep it from banging the towers. But the skiing was worth it. Although not epic, it was in a word "enjoyable."
jimmy
April 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey GlennC, Similar thing happened to me last year, had to be in NJ Friday and back in wheeling Sunday. Made the trip w/o my skis, passed the rabbit hole to the valley TWICE on the weekend of last years april storm . Swore then I wouldn't miss closing weekend there again .

Brad, I feel your pain! But isn't Snowshoe still open???
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
April 5, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Snowshoe is still open, but I think my explorer isn't. lol I would LOVE to get up and goto snowshoe considering I've never been there, although my ranking priority at the moment is to still be carshopping for a good Subaru Outback as a replacement. That and really working on getting business to grow this spring considering I just started offering webhosting.

Alas... no snow till next year.
SCWVA
April 6, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Bawalker, Maybe you can help T-line and CVR update their Webpage/snowreport page on a more rgular basis.

Skied the Shoe yesterday. Go while there's still snow! Work will always be there, but the snow won't.
bawalker
April 6, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually you are diving into an area that I"m already in... on getting customers that is. Seriously though I'm working on a way that Tline, Canaan or ANY webhosting customer can use to update info on a website rather than create raw html files, upload via ftp, etc. Because honestly there isn't a single business person or office worker who would do that on a regular basis. No wonder some of those sites are never updated.
Glenn_C
April 6, 2005
67 posts
BA--Seems like there would certainly be a customer base for such a service. I do some support web development at work and it is tedious. Our division's site doesn't get updated near as often as it should simply because I don't enjoy the editing as much as I used to. I'm trying to do the Tom Sawyer fence whitewash scheme with one of my co-workers but I think she sees through me. Tough job to pawn off but I'll keep trying.
On the ski thing...I read Snowshoe is running through the 10th. The wife's got a sick Aunt so I'm stuck here this weekend doing Mr. Mom while she heads up to her Aunt's place otherwise I'd be running those final turns for $15 a ticket at the Shoe. To think my son and I were banging out the Western Territory 4 weeks ago...seems like forever.
I agree with the previous advice...work is always there snow is not. What's Wardensville...about 2 hours from Snowshoe? Leave your dead Explorer, borrow a family car and go relieve some stress. And hip out a couple extra turns for the snow addicts that couldn't be there .
bawalker
April 6, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The one thing I've found is that alot of businesses, be it a small flower shop or even a ski resort for example have websites, unfortunately 98% of these places have 0 management over their websites, or have 0 abilities to use the website to the full potential. Thats why last year I decided to build webhosting servers and I have a friend who lets me lease space in their secure datacenter facility so that I can offer webhosting space from the ground up. Where else do you know the owner of a webhosting company who will sit down with you and explain about DNS or listservs to help get you setup? Not only that, but I want to start from the ground by providing the space, be able to help customers manage their sites, and basically give them the full potential to let the website be like a telephone to their businesses. In that if the website is down, their businesses is hurting without it.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've rode the chairlifts of different resorts and thought time and time again of how I could sit down for an hour with their staff and get them setup on how best to manage their websites, what to offer, etc.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
April 6, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
BAWLAKER:
Please contact hidden valley resort and see if you can convince them that their web site sucks. They could sure use your services to improve their pitiful website. Please give it a try.
bawalker
April 6, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for the heads up about HV. I'll send them out a formal letter tomorrow and follow up with a phone call this week.

Along similiar lines, I really have been thinking about setting up and creating my own ski based website aimed primarily for the Mid-A. region only. While not to be in direct competition with DCSki.com because it's so unique in and of it'self, I was thinking about having one that would show current snow conditions, a place to view all trail maps, or something that would be a combined resource for people planning day trips. I can raise my hand to say that too many times I've made a decision the morning before I left before going boarding, but spent 45 min here checking conditions, figuring out what trails were open, what was going on, etc.

I have fully decided yet how to go about this, but I would love to do so. Again though, this goes back to the resorts themselves or volunteers helping report in snow conditions, snow depths, events on the mountains, glade conditions, recommendations by readers, etc.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
April 7, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Thanks Bawalker:
Tell them you've heard many complaints from resort homeowners about the website. As far as a website devoted to local skiing, it would seem that you would be duplicating most of the functions that are on the DCSKI website, However, I can tell that you are probably as obsessed with skiing as I am, so I'm sure you would enjoy creating this website.Good luck and if you don't get a positive response from HV, let me know.
bawalker
April 7, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'm actually working on something here right now that would be of a GREAT help to any ski resort or any webmaster for that matter. I'll see if I can whip up some demo stuff here in the next day or so, show you, and the rest of the forums on here to see what everything thinks. I may even enlist a tester or two to pretend that they are ski resort employee's posting the mornings/afternoons conditions and snowfall totals.

I'll for sure let you know what HV says. Is there anyone in particular I should look for when talking to about this?
skier219
April 7, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I'm actually working on something here right now that would be of a GREAT help to any ski resort or any webmaster for that matter. I'll see if I can whip up some demo stuff here in the next day or so, show you, and the rest of the forums on here to see what everything thinks. I may even enlist a tester or two to pretend that they are ski resort employee's posting the mornings/afternoons conditions and snowfall totals.

I'll for sure let you know what HV says. Is there anyone in particular I should look for when talking to about this?

I don't know if this gives you any ideas, but here is some software I developed that allows skiers to track conditions & weather:

http://www.solusinc.com/hunter-associates/ft/index.html

This will be updated for 05/06 with graphical forecasts and realtime radar. If ski resorts were more into reporting realtime weather & conditions, this could become really powerful. But I don't see that happening any time soon. most places update 1-2 times a day. They are also somewhat optimistic with regards to snow and weather conditions, and not always accurate.

Craig
Glenn_C
April 7, 2005
67 posts
Craig,
Love the screenshot but a couple questions....1) Can you get a Win version or is strictly MAC? and 2) Is it customizable so that the user can configure his tabs for certain resorts?
skier219
April 7, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Craig,
Love the screenshot but a couple questions....1) Can you get a Win version or is strictly MAC? and 2) Is it customizable so that the user can configure his tabs for certain resorts?

Strictly Mac for now, since that's where my programming expertise is, but the basic guts are simple and it could be ported to Windows pretty easily by someone with experience. For that matter, it could probably be implemented in Java or as a web application for generic use.

Yes, it's customizable -- allows you to set up 5 ski areas to track. It will work for any ski area in the US, and partially works for some Canadian resorts.

Craig
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
http://www.snowshoemtn.com/realtimeweather/

I have gone to this site frequently this paast winter and it appears to be accurate, at least that part that is functional. The wind direction has not worked all winter, the speed usually works. This might be of help with your real time ski area site.
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.