Timberline conditions?
17 posts
8 users
2k+ views
jimmy
March 30, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
If the webcam is updating, looks like they still have snow in the trees! Local weather (wheeling) calling for snow this weekend. Anyone got any first hand info on conditions?

Closing weekend, hell may freeze over at my house.
kwillg6
March 30, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Jimmy, My hope is for a repeat of last year's closing day of monumental proportions. However.... Anyway, there was still snow in the trees on Sunday, but heavy rain on Monday. Can't say for sure, but it would probably take a lot of natural to get my skiis above the debris in the woods for the weekend. I am glad that the temps are dropping below 32 at night. The corn was getting pretty heavy on Sunday and was in desperate need of a freeze. I will be at t-line for the weekend regardless.
wvrocks
March 30, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Coverage was good last weekend. I'm sure the rain didn't help though. I would say the stuff in the trees is getting pretty thin. When I drove by this morning I couldn't see any bare spots on the open runs. Looks like flurries for the weekend so I should be pretty good.
jimmy
March 30, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks D&K, Now all i have to do is estimate the grief i'll get when i leave early Saturday. Contrary to what my wonderful, understanding very special (she's been lurking lately , love you dear) wife may think, ski season isn't over until they turn the lifts off.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
skier219
March 31, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

ski season isn't over until they turn the lifts off.

damn straight! We're heading up to Snowshoe this weekend, and it sounds like the cooler weather can only help conditions. If they get a bonus dusting of snow, which seems likely, all the better!

Craig
powhound
March 31, 2005
Member since 03/31/2005 🔗
7 posts
I am on my way to Snowshoe also. Looks like snow, cross your fingers. If you see a big guy on supercross heads, and a cloudveil jacket yell at me. I will be on the ballhooter lift first thing in the morning.
BushwackerinPA
March 31, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I am going to snowshoe this satuday for a day trip from pittsburgh i hope was hoping for no precip and 60 degrees, but if we can get some significat snow from this strom all the better.
powhound
March 31, 2005
Member since 03/31/2005 🔗
7 posts
We should get together Sat morning at the shoe. Let me know if anyone is interested. I will be the guy in the Fox Racing ski pants, black & yellow they are hard to miss. I will be skiing the ballhooter lift first thing Sat. morning.
shearer519
March 31, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Quote:

I am going to snowshoe this satuday for a day trip from pittsburgh

How long does a trip like that take you. I'm also from Pittsburgh but have never made it to Snowshoe due to its distance.
BushwackerinPA
April 1, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
3-4 hours depending on how close your are to 79 and how fast you drive.I only do it once a year.

There is chance that if we get underdeveloped snow down there are crew might head to Holiday Valley it just depends on the weather. If we go to snowshoe i will ski alittle with some dcskier. I have silver giro 9 with oakley wisdoms,Metron B5s, salamon Xwave tens, and Helly hanson jacket.
jimmy
April 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

ski season isn't over until they turn the lifts off.

damn straight! We're heading up to Snowshoe this weekend, and it sounds like the cooler weather can only help conditions. If they get a bonus dusting of snow, which seems likely, all the better!

Craig

OK, I had to concede to the wife that ski season is over when Tline turns their lifts off, but ski season, (mine anyway) lives til Sunday. See ya at Tline Saturday

jimmy
SCWVA
April 1, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I just checked Accuweather for Davis, WV and they are calling for 1-3" of snow Saturday night and another 1" on Sunday am.

Hopefully they are right about the snow and wrong about the quantity. Another 30" closing weekend storm would be sweet.

If T-line gets snow on Sat. night, I'm going to head up to T-line on Sunday am.

Keep your tips crossed on this one.
kwillg6
April 1, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Hold on folks!!!! The weather services are calling for some heavy white on Saturday night and Sunday am. Hmmmm, I think the potential for some fresh pow-pow is really in the cards. Elevation will play an important into when, and how much. Anybody wanna go out on a limb and make a uneducated guess? I say 2-4" at t-linr and maybe a few more at the shoe by sunday.
SCWVA
April 1, 2005
1,052 posts
Accuweather is actually calling for less snow at the Shoe. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, as I would think that the rain would change over to snow earlier at the Shoe due to its elevation.

I'm optimist - 10" of pow
skier219
April 1, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Accuweather is actually calling for less snow at the Shoe. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, as I would think that the rain would change over to snow earlier at the Shoe due to its elevation.

I'm optimist - 10" of pow

The forecast shifted about half a day -- downside meaning we might get rained on Saturday during the day. But having fresh snow (won't be pow, but will still be nice) on Sunday would be frickin awesome for April. Who knows, could turn out to be a good ski weekend despite Saturday rain!!

I have learned not to trust the non-mountain forecasts, so if anything, there will be cooler temps and more snow than they are calling for. In fact, elevation alone makes that a sure bet for Snowshoe.

Craig
SCWVA
April 1, 2005
1,052 posts
Accuweather is now calling for 2-4" Saturday night and 1-3" of snow on Sunday. The forcasts seem to be going in the right direction.
jimmy
April 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
RogerZ said a while back that spring arrives from the south, maybe that's why they're predicting less for shoe. I'll make the best of a rainy day Saturday, any one besides me got one more snow dance left?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.