You wanna talk about overpriced?!?
10 posts
7 users
1k+ views
JR
January 9, 2003
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Ok, so i'm sick and tired of everyone complaining that snowshoe is soooo overpriced. I went to timberline for the first time since i was a kid yesterday and i tried to buy a sticker (I always get a sticker for my board the first time i go somewhere) The store they had there didn't have any except for a bumper sticker that said I (heart) Timberline. The blasted thing was 5 dollars. I said...'so let me get this straight, i'm gonna pay you 5 dollars so i can advertise for you?' The lady was just like...uh huh. i mean give me a break, i remember as a kid when Smoke Hole Caverns would go plaster bumper stickers all over your car while you were touring their silly little hole...without you asking or even giving permission. You had to park along the main highway behind a billboard to even stand a chance of not getting forcefed a bumpersticker and now these jokers want me to pay THEM 5 dollars. I mean what happened to this country? It used to be a wonderful place full of opportunity and now its just another place to take advantage of those dense enough to pay 5 bucks for a bumpersticker. Dense bumpersticker collectors have been fleeing European countries for the states for years to avoid being taken advantage of. Now they have NO home...it saddens me

On a better note, me and my friend went expecting to pay 29 bucks yesterday and it was only 13 because we are poor college students. We also had the best snow conditions i've seen in the Mid Atlantic...ever i think as well as one of the best times. My favorite part about timberline is that you can go into the woods pretty much anywhere on the mountain when they've had a good snow. The bad news is that some people shouldn't be in there when they are...some kid hit a tree deep in the woods while we were on the lift but i think he was ok. We were all pretty concerned for a bit though.

oh, and i cut up a trail map and taped it on my board...much cheaper.

JR
January 9, 2003
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
And another thing, Timberline really needs to get someone to aggressively work their website. This was college ski week (hence the 13 dollars) but we didn't know anything about it. The little scrolling bar they have on the left of the website doesn't mention it. Its on the events calender but they need to advertise it on the home page of the website. Some of us are too lazy to look for things like that
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 9, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Ski Barn on route 32 has some cool T-line stickers. I bought one for my Yakima faring.
MitchH
January 10, 2003
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
Timberline needs to improve their entire website. Other than the Canaan Resort, it is the least informative and worst designed website of any ski area I am familiar with. Another example: even though they have regular telemark clinics, they are not advertised prominently and no basic information is given as to time, events, registration etc.
Lietmotiv
January 10, 2003
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Speaking about Timberlines website. I actually approached them about doing their website. I got some responses about it but no one in management wanted to commit to anything. I went ahead and did a mock-up and have it registered at www.skitimberline.us

All I wanted in return was 2 season passes and a handful of free lift ticket vouchers for friends. Anyway, take a look at the prototype I did for them.

http://www.skitimberline.us

ski_guy_59
January 10, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Looks nice!!! CSS???
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 11, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The demo looks good. I'd probably add an image gallery and perhaps some links to Timberline articles on DCSki. One of the best views of the mountain is from far shore of Spruce Island lake in the Old Timberline area. I'd set up a tripod there and try to get a nice shot of the entire mountain for the image gallery and also for the main page. The mountain really looks BIG from Spruce Island lake. No shots on this site really give you a feel for the size of the mountain, which is impressive for this region.
snowcone
January 11, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts

Now that looks 1000% better! I think your charges are way low and Timberline would be way stupid not to take you up on your offer and dump that horrific mess they currently have.

You might also take a look at Laurel Mountain; their web site needs a whole lot of help, as does that of Blue Knob. I am sure they both got charged a bundle for such poorly designed sites. I would approach them myself but have more than I can handle at the moment.

Keep up the good work.

Skiing is Believing!

Lietmotiv
January 11, 2003
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Thanks. I really like tomberline and wanted to give the site to them. I'd probably give them the site for free if they are strapped for cash. I want Timberline to stay around. They have a great mountain and I hope to eventually get a house out there. If anyone knows anyone in management at timberline pass it on. I think the main roadblock to the new site came from the Timberline General Manager but I really don't know. I think I remember hearing about how they paid "money" to the existing web dude and they didn't want it to go to waste [no comment]. If someone wants to get in touch with me just email me @ doug@doug.nu

I will get some pictures when I get up to timberline this coming MLK weekend. That demo site I did is 1/2 done so things like photo galleries and snow reports will come when they decide to use it.

JohnL
January 11, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Just took another look at Laurel Mountains's web site. Whatever happened to the cheesy falling snowflakes in the home page pic?

The interactive trail map on Mad River Glen's website (http://www.madriverglen.com/) is very well done - one of the most effective implementations of a web page I've ever seen.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?