Suggestion for dc area trip with kids this Sunday
5 posts
5 users
gdavidf
February 16, 2005
Member since 02/16/2005 🔗
1 posts
I've never been to any DC area ski resort and would like a suggestion of where to go near DC this weekend with my kids, age 5 and 10. They learned to ski earlier this year in Vail, Colorado and I would like to give them some more time on the slopes somewhere local. By the end of the trip in Vail, the 10 year old was skiing easy blues and the 5 year old was managing most greens.

I've heard about Whitetail and Liberty. Any basis to pick one over the other. Anyone familiar with the children's programs or instructors at either mountain. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
warren
February 17, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I can tell you that my daughter has used the Whitetail all-day program many times. She always enjoyed it. It's pretty easy for all concerned. You can call in advance to book your child. In fact, they may already be booked! You check your children in at the learning center and they're off. If I remeber correctly, they even take care of the rental equipment for them. It's been a while since she's rented (the Ski Chalet Junior program is great! ) The only down-side is that I would imagine they will be REALLY busy

-Warren-
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 17, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Could be a very busy Holiday weekend. Bryce Mtn VA is a nice little area for novices and always a crowd beater. Other areas could also work, but get there early.
kwillg6
February 17, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Wow, tough question. Almost all the larger area will be slammed on Saturday. Sunday is always a better bet when it comes to crowds. I agree that for the kids, Bryce would be fun with fewer people but lacks the advanced terrain for adult skiers. Whitetail and Liberty have a steady following but the holiday crowds for the weekend could be heavy. Massanutten on sunday is rarely too crowded but on Saturday has groups, groups, groups....Wisp is always a good bet but a bit of a drive for the day with young ones. I'd call ahead if you want them in kids school because space fills quickly. Good luck!
Jim
February 17, 2005
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Liberty is a pretty family friendly resort. Kids five and under ski free with each paid lift ticket. The instructors assigned to kids generally pull that duty because they LIKE kids. As for crowds, they will be a concern anywhere. The crowds at Liberty tend to concentrate, however, on the front side of the resort. There is a back side lift (actually two) that usually has shorter (i.e., faster) lines. The five year old can ski a green trail (Dipsy) to the cut-back on the right of the trail to the back side and continue on a very easy blue (Whitney's Way - more like a green) that is designated a family ski zone (i.e., no high speed skiing allowed). This will keep you all on the back side and the shorter lines.

Good luck and have fun!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.