Laurel Mtn. Fever, Sick Day Friday?
25 posts
10 users
3k+ views
jimmy
February 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Woke up this morning and saw these white spots whenever I looked outside, left for work and my car was covered w/2" of some kind of white dust. I'm having chills and really think I'll have a severe case of The Fever Friday. Only remedy I know is to leave town around 7:00 am and drive directly to Laurel Mountain. Anyone have these symptoms?

jimmy
jess
February 10, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
2 posts
I'm feeling a little phlegmy myself. It must be contagious!
nakedskier
February 10, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
Maybe it's just me and the DC weather but when I saw the mecury shoot all the way up to 60 yesterday, I wasn't feeling "sick" at all.
jimmy
February 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Decided after much deliberation to save my trip to Laurel for better conditions and find my cure at 7 Springs. Got there and found a clear blue sky day, hopped on the alpine meadows lift and rode to the top. North Face looked like the worlds largest terrain park. The snowguns had made seven or eight snow whales right down the middle of the skiers left part of the slope. Freshies, huge mounds, air if you wanted it and plenty of room for huge carved turns between the whales. I moved to Gunnar hoping to find powder along the edges but it was kind of crunchy. Generally, conditions varied between powder, packed powder, breakable crust and very firm, almost icy. Giant Steps was nice but the whales on North Face ruled the morning. Powder, bumps and breakable crust on the right of Avalanche was my favorite run of the day, good powder in the trees at alpine.

Blue skies gave way to snow showers around noon and while there wasn't much accumulation it made for a very pretty day. Even got to see a "stoopid thing" that I'll report on elsewhere. I'm really feeling much better, I know you all were concerned.

jimmy
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 14, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
We received 6" of fresh powder at Hidden Valley on Friday night 2/11. The skiing on Saturday and Sunday was excellent. It never got above 40 degrees and the snow stayed powdery. I assume that the Springs received the same. Anyone not going past the 'Allegheny Front' this weekend missed some awsome skiing. A friend of mine went to Whitetail and said that it was 50something and mash potatoes snow. The weather is a lot different in the Laurel Mountains.
BushwackerinPA
February 14, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
not to mention the 7 they had thursday night, i cant wait get some more snow to ski the unmarked glades of jaguar and t-bird.

snowsmith what kind of jacket do you were and skis, i instrut at HV. we should meet up sometime. I have SL9s(yellow and atomics), a silver helmet, the HV vest of jacket on and am pretty noticable on the hill. stop up and say high sometimes.

Josh Matta
jimmy
February 24, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Woke up this morning and saw these white spots whenever I looked outside, left for work and my car was covered w/2" of some kind of white dust. I'm having chills and really think I'll have a severe case of The Fever Friday. Only remedy I know is to leave town around 7:00 am and drive directly to Laurel Mountain. Anyone have these symptoms?

jimmy

D%mn, i've got it again. Anybody been up to LM recently?
Heather
February 24, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
I think that something must have bit me 'cause I am feeling a little under the weather. I skied Laurel last weekend (Friday and Saturday). Snow was holding up well! I live relatively close(approx 3 minutes) to LM Slopes and last night we received about 2-4 inches of fresh white stuff. I will be skiing there again all weekend. Hope to see ya on the hill!!
jimmy
February 24, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks Heather, think they'll have any more terrain open?
jimmy
February 26, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Got into the parking lot at 9:30 and there were maybe 20 cars there, 8" fresh and they had only the double chair running. The ski report for last sunday, 2/20 was still on the chalk board and they were 100% open then, not bad considering the limited snowmaking.

Friday am only had two main ways down, Broadway and Wildcat. Broadway looked like it had been groomed Thursday and had a dusting of snow with lots of pow on the edges. Wildcat wasn't groomed since wed. and it was covered w/powder. I took a couple of warmups down BW, hopped off into laurel run and hegans cut, natural snow with only three or four lines before me. The ride back up on the double gave a good look at Wildcat and there weren't more than four or five lines in the 6-12" of new snow.

Lower Wildcat looks pretty serious from the chair. It REALLY looks serious from the top of the steep. Most of the lines early were on skiers left so that's where i went, but it was firm and there was much more to do. Skier's right was sweet. The center was kinda weird, it was crowned kinda like a double double fall line that made it hard to keep moving down the line. Wildcat bit me once and i went back and got revenge but my last run down my legs were shot, I must have looked like that little guy on Laugh-In (showing my age?) who kept falling over on his tricycle, three minor diggers. Anyway Apres calls . The crowd doubled from 6 to 12 from the time I got there til I left. The folks there are friendly and really love their mountain. Talked of the "secret" glade trail, how to improve snowmaking...good juke box...cold, almost free beer...time to go, don't want to run the risk of too many cold, almost free beers!

I don't think I'd take a steady diet of Laurel Mountain, YET. There's tons of potential, nice people, and some of the best terrain in Pennsylvania. I'm already looking forward to skiing there next year.

jimmy
Heather
February 28, 2005
170 posts
Glad you had a good time at LM. I was there all day Sat until the cold/almost free beer called my name from the top of father snow hill. A great band will be playing in the Wildcat Lounge all weekend coming 3/4,5,6. should be a great time!
hope to see some new faces there. On a separate note we received about 8+inches of fresh snow today, maybe I will call off "snowed in"
JohnL
March 1, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Is Laurel Mountain open this year on Thursdays? I know it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but I thought it was closed on Thursdays also.
jimmy
March 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Little touch of the fever coming on, JohnL?
JohnL
March 1, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Cough, cough. Wheeze, wheeze.

Especially since I've been healthy above and beyond the call of duty today.
Heather
March 4, 2005
170 posts
Laurel is open on thursdays, not that it does you any good now that it is friday. LM should be great this weekend (we had about 20+inches of snow since early monday am). Rumor has it that even Dream Highway and Lincoln Highway (cool little run beneath the quad) are open.
JohnL
March 6, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Friday ended up working out better for me. I skied Laurel for 4 hours Friday afternoon on my way out to Timberline. Laurel Mtn. has a 1/2 price special on their website Laurel Mtn. , so it only cost me $12.50. I could have skied a lot longer for the price, but I needed to get to West Virginia.

Dream Highway was amazing. Only one or two rocks at the very bottom and perfect packed powder surface. With the trail empty, I was able to make some high-speed GS turns around the bends. Lower Wildcat was very interesting; tons of new snow with about 25 percent of the surface scraped bare to a nasty ice layer. If you hit the good snow, it was sweeeeet! I had some very nice tree shots around Laurel Run and Innsbruck. Laurel Run and Snow Bowl were groomed (prolly due to severe drifting from the winds), but I was able to get some pretty deep freshies at the very edge of the groomed track on Laurel Run.

Fun time and a steal for the price.
Heather
March 9, 2005
170 posts
Hello out there in ski-land! Anybody attending the Laurel Mountain Spring Carnival this weekend or Timberline
Snowy Luau next weekend? Being at both will be a great way to end the season(I think). If anyone has been to either let me know what to expect.
tgd
March 9, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I've been at the Snowy Luau the last 2 years. Overall I'd say it is pretty low-key compared to Spring ski parties held at other resorts. Still it is one of the events we look forward to every year. If it's not bitter cold, people will be out sliding in Hawaiian shirts and grass skirts. They also have a Polynesian Band and Dancers in the Lodge who are pretty fun (though the flaming torch juggling is a little scary in a crowded old wooden ski lodge. They cap off Saturday night with a torch-lit ski and fireworks on the slopes.

There is also a series of snowsports competitions - Moguls, big air, etc... that are pretty entertaining to watch as well. Trophies are handed out on Sunday.

I can't remember for sure if it was last year or the year before, but we had rain on Saturday night that turned into a decent snowstorm with great conditions for Sunday. All in all, Snowy Luau is a blast - I highly recommend.

Tom
SCWVA
March 9, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'll be at T-line both Sat. & Sun. for the Snowy Luau. I understand that you can volunteer to carry a torch in the torch light parade down the slopes, if that interests you.

tgd - Do you know if they're having a bump contest this year during the Snowy Luau weekend?
tgd
March 9, 2005
585 posts
I checked the Timberline calendar and they are just advertising the Rail Jam, Big Air, and "Big Island" Ultra Cross (not sure what that is). In the past they had the mogul race on the Drop, but that is closed again now so they don't have a suitable bump run to race on this year. They are still listing a bump contest on the Drop for the Locals Cup on the first weekend in April though - but I'd say that is iffy.
Heather
March 10, 2005
170 posts
Hey, thanks for the info it will come in handy next weekend. Is this a family friendly event or should I not take my 9 Yr old son?
tgd
March 10, 2005
585 posts
Heather:
Snowy Luau is very much a family event. I have a 3 1/2 year old and she had a blast last year. She loved the Polynesian band and dancers. This year my wife bought grass skirts and leis just for Snowy Luau. My daughter has since been talking about skiing in her grass skirt for the past month. I think they may also have some kid-specific competitions going on as well, but I'm not sure about that.

Tom
kwillg6
March 10, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Snowy luau is a blast. Kids love it as well as the older kids . Activities for everyone. You need to check out the "anything that slides" competition @ 4pm on Saturday. Children, adults, dogs, cats, bears.. ..(just kidding). They also have big air competition for boarders and skiers in the terrain park. Fun to watch. Sync skiing competition for teams of at least four, "fireman's" hose race through about six gs gates, snow sculpture contest, pig roast, hawaiian drumming, LOTS of people dressed up in Hawaiian garb (or wannabe garb) , costume parade (winner gets a season's pass ), etc...etc... The tourch parade down lightening is to resemble a lava flow. If interested in doing it, you must sign up at the ski school desk. I must warn you, the tourch light is difficult, done in the dark, on ungroomed terrain. Often, those participating are "fortified" for the experience. I highly recommend the weekend to families, singles, retirees, or anybody who wants a great time. And the best thing, ALL fun activities are free. Usually the bumps are done on the drop, but could be done on upper/lower thunderdraft or other bump terrain. They usually will have it on Sunday PM. It'll be our 12th year doing it!
Heather
March 10, 2005
170 posts
Thanks so much! I realize that I have made a good choice for a family weekend get away! Maybe we'll see you all there!
kwillg6
March 10, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
if it's white, ski it!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?