I'm going Off The Wall
15 posts
8 users
2k+ views
canaanman
January 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Haaaaalleeeeeeeluuuuujah!!!

It's open. Today Timberline opened its first double-black: Off-The-Wall. Mmmm... just in time for some weekend powder. I wonder how long until Silver Streak is up and running.
warren
January 21, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Canaanman,
Awwww man, and I'm not able to get out this weekend I am going to the Shoe next weekend (1/28 - 2/1) but there's no Off The Wall there and Lower Shays is not open yet.

-Warren-
Philip
January 21, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
Lower Shays will open by next weekend, I can smell it.
JR
January 21, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
I can't believe they aren't working on it. You'd think as soon as they got most of the trails on the basin comfortable again they'd start blasting it with the temps in the single digits. Especially since its at the bottom of the mountain since they won't be able to make snow there during marginal conditions up top. I still think they need to import some trees on that sucker They could cut some logging paths on it with some nice cliffs while importing the trees and it'd be just like Cherry Bowl.
Philip
January 21, 2005
26 posts
Lower Shays is hard enough as it is. If you're going to put trees somewhere, put them on the upper shays. That way they could boast a mile and half double black. How exhausting would that run be?

Which runs will open up next at Timber?
jimmy
January 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Which runs will open up next at Timber?

snow report
Philip
January 21, 2005
26 posts
I guess I should state more clearly my question...

Which double blacks are likely to open next?
jimmy
January 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Probalbly depends on where they're making, My best guess
1. upper Silver Streak
2. the drop
3. Peraly glades
4. Upper thunderdraft
Something must be wrong w/spellchecker.
Rickh
January 21, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
I emailed Doug the TLine web guy. I asked him to give some dates, etc on the trail openings. He said he gave that up long ago, the guys at the mountain just won't commit!! They sure look like they have a lot of snow, and that they could open more than are currently open. But, remember TLine likes that 36" base or better before opening a trail. The philosophy being good or bad it sure helped them during the warm spell.

Think Snow
fred
January 21, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
Off the wall was so much fun today. Anybody headed up there this weekend is in for a treat!!!

Lighting was killer too- all bumped up and whales everywhere! It was just as much fun as off the wall.
jimmy
January 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
1. upper Silver Streak opened1/22
2. the drop
3. Peraly glades
4. Upper thunderdraft
pwillysim
January 23, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
Some of my friends and I are hitting T-Line for our annual
trip starting wednesday; could anyone describe the conditions on Off The Wall and give speculation for future opening based on your visual sitings? Thanks, Paul
canaanman
January 23, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Okay... imagine a parade of elephants, a sudden blizzard hits... that's what OTW looks like. Right side is okay, left side is managable... middle is stupid.

Huge whale bumps... even at the top. C'mon Timberline, they're ALRIGHT (at best) when they're on the steepest part and get carved into huge VW-sized moguls... but they're ridiculous at the top! Groom them down... please or I'll just have to poach Cherry Bowl instead.
fred
January 24, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
Canaanman,

Hold on a second- those whales are so much fun. I've skiied all over the midatlantic this year, and off the wall(with the whales at the top) is by far the best slope I've seen. But it does demand technical ability. The ability to flex and extend and ski or ride dynamically(eg I've seen you ride and you need to flex your legs a lot more- you can't absorb anything with your legs locked. It would also help if you learned to use your front foot to turn the board, instead of just kicking the back of the board around).

Off the wall is a true double balck diamond. And whales at the entrance help discourage pickers. You should still jump in the cherry bowl when there is enough snow, but please don't make comments telling timberline to make more trails flat. They don't understand that people like varied, whaled or bumpped terrain, that is probably why there is no terrain park.
canaanman
January 24, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Eh... I still don't like them at the top... but in the middle where it's steep they are a lot of fun. It just sucks the momentum out at the top when you have to hike up the mounds to get anything going. Now... when the wall used to be smooth soft and powdery it was better than those whales. Way better... you could drop huge powder turns at high speeds and have a blast. I really wish they'd smooth the whales out at the top, at least... and then turn The Drop into the bump run it should be.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.