what is your favorite Canaan valley lodging?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
myrto
January 14, 2005
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Mine is most Definitely Black Bear Resort. All year round. great prices, location and a beautiful setting.

Let's hear from others.
tommo
January 15, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Blackbear has great views, but I prefer Deerfield myself. The townhouses are much more spacious, with kitchens that you can cook for a whole group and 3 nice size bedrooms. It's also much closer to both downhill areas as well as CVSP and Whitegrass and has two onsite resturants with a third across the street. Plus, the access is really good when it's snowing hard because it is completely flat and you can park right in front of the door. Northwoods units are really nice, too. But the "roads" to get to some of them are double black diamond all the way
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I can say something about Northwoods because I own a unit there and am not on the rental program. Northwoods is in the process of a complete exterior renovation. By next year, all siding and most decks will be new on all the units. We also put in a new roof several years ago and the windows are relatively new as well.

With that said, interior spaces are the responsibility of individual unuit owners and they vary in quality considerably. Some owners have completely renovated their places with new carpets, kitchen cabnets, appliances, furniture, blinds, etc. Others, still have some orginal 1980s stuff in the units, including old blinds that are falling apart. If you rent at Northwoods, you'll need to quiz the agent at Mountaintop or Canaan Realty to be sure that you are getting a unit with a renovated interior. If you get one of these, you will not be dissappointed. Northwood's proximity to the slopes (A,B, & C units sit on the slopes and F,G, & H are right across the road) is priceless. It allows you to avoid the lodge for lunch and really take advantage of the night session.

Hint: on crowded Saturdays, ski from 8-1, take a 2 hour siesta from 1-3, and then hit the slopes until 9 pm.
bawalker
January 15, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
John, What is the rental prices for those normally? Me and about 6-8 friends are contemplating a mid-Feb weekend trip to Timberline to getaway from the working world. I thought I heard at one time that when you rent lift ticket prices are included in on the renting price?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

John, What is the rental prices for those normally? Me and about 6-8 friends are contemplating a mid-Feb weekend trip to Timberline to getaway from the working world. I thought I heard at one time that when you rent lift ticket prices are included in on the renting price?

There's no central reservation number at Timberline. You'll need to check the realtor sites and the main Timberline site to compare prices.

www.canaanrealty.com

www.mountaintoprealty.com

www.timberlineresort.com

A lot of people end up in hotels because most condos have a three day minimum, and most people just want to spend a single night at the resort.

Mountaintop realty, which manages most of the Northwoods units, rents to 8 person 2 BR + Loft units for $700 for a three night regular weekend. If you have 8 people, that works out to about $29 per person per night--not a bad deal. Tryy to get a unit in A, B, or C because those have ski-in, ski-out access. However, some of the F, G, and U units are in better shape. Ask Dave Downs at Mountaintop for advice. He not only owns Mountaintop but has lived at Northwoods and is a former T-line mountain manager, so he knows the territory well.
rdroll7
January 15, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
6 posts
Another vote for Deerfield, for the same reasons. Also a vote for Northpoint (don't know who handles the rentals now). A little further out but great views of both mountains.
pwillysim
January 15, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
I had rented for years until we decided to become owners in Old Timberline. My suggestion is to call one of the Realtors such as Canaan Valley Realty and have them suggest different units to fit your needs. We stayed in some very fine homes by taking this approach.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?