'04-'05 Washout??
27 posts
17 users
4k+ views
cheechman32
January 6, 2005
Member since 09/12/2004 🔗
27 posts
Someone posted earlier that they believed the season here is a washout when MLK weekend rolls around and there is little to no base and no cold weather forecasted for the next 8 days. Looking at the weather for Mercersburg, PA, it looks like they'll have marginal snow making opportunities the next few days and then more lousy warm weather. And the piece de resistance, 70 degree high for next thursday! Man I hope they're wrong...
jersey
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/12/2004 🔗
6 posts
I'm banking on Feb. being a great month in Pa. I've only been out 1 time this year, and the temp was 4 degrees at Cambelback. This is nuts.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 7, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I think 7 Springs will recover first, but Snowshoe will be a close second. I'm hoping 7 Springs will recover by Monday of MLK--the least crowded ski day of the long weekend. The alternative is VT for inauguraton weekend. Stowe is gettting some decent snow right now. I checked Tahoe and UT last night but kind of got scared off with the prices. Yes, it is cheap to fly there but lodging is big bucks because most of the cheap stuff has been booked by snow hungry East Coasters like us. I had dinner with a friend who is flying out to Tahoe for MLK. Her family owns a place there--lucky her... I spent most of the dinner begging for her to invite myself and my wife to visit but to no avail. Her family already has 6 guests invited. I said I would sleep on the floor, wash dishes, cook, but she still said no.
finsoutoc
January 7, 2005
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
I think it will be. My long experience with Roundtop tells me that any effort to 'rebuild' after MLK will be halfhearted. so while they will make snow, it will be the bare minimum to get them to there target close date then they'll throw in the towel. IMO, RT will do what they need to do to prevent having to rebate passholders and thats it.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
tomimcmillar
January 7, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Hey John,

Curious what you've found for airfare rates into Reno?
I'm in the same boat, VT or Tahoe. Looking at late Feb/early March.

VT involves lodging and lift tickets, plus drive cost.

Tahoe involves a plane ticket to Reno & crashing on a buddy's couch.

Just beginning to figure the budgets for either trip...

T
snowcone
January 7, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Check Jet Blue(175-200rt) to Sacramento .. doesnt get you to Reno but its 2+ hours over the hill from South Lake Tahoe. I guess is depends where your buddy's couch is located. If it's located North Lake area, try U-nitwit, flys to Reno fairly cheap (250-300rt range). Jet Blue is non-stop from Dulles, United is out of BWI and has at least 1 stop. We have flown both to Tahoe area and prefer Jet Blue.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I'm thinking very seriously about Utah in Inauguration week. I have several critical meetings scheduled that week. Well, you know that the big shots, who don't keep their own calendars, will reschedule and bail, but not until the last minute. You also know that the workplace will be half deserted on T, W, and especially F of that week. I have a free flight coming on SW and can get any open seat on any flight right up to the last minute.
SCWVA
January 7, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I checked on a few flights last night. You can fly to Burlington from Dulles on FLYI for $140. It was even cheaper into Albany.

I also found some flights w/ stop overs from Dulles to Salt Lake on Delta in the $290 range which isn't actually cheap, but have you seen the daily pictures from Alta? There is a brand new Best Western in Sandy where you can stay for $75/nt (two full beds) with a great continental breakfast (waffles, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc.) We stayed there last year and had four people in the room so it was pretty cheap. It also had a pool and hot tub. Sandy is only a 30+ min drive to Snowbird/Alta. You might even be able to get a local bus/shuttle from Sandy to the Bird/Alta.

Locally, I think Snowshoe will recover before 7 Springs. The Shoe was making snow last night, while 7 Springs hadn't made any. Which sucks because I was hoping to go to the Springs on Sunday. It does look promising for some cold weather to return towards the end of next week, which gives me hope for my four day trip to the Shoe the inauguration weekend.
snowcone
January 7, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Denis:
Before you head to Utah Inaguration Week, pre-book your lodging if you plan to stay in Park City or nearby. Sundance Film Festival starts 01/20 and the place turns into a madhouse.
JohnL
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Denis,

If you do make it out to Utah during MLK/Inaugaration week, send me a PM. That goes for any other DCSki Poster. I'm in Utah (SLC) from the 15-22.

One of the few heads-up things I've done this winter was to book a cheap flight to SLC back in early December. I knew MLK was a guarenteed day off and Inaugaration Day was a likely day off. (I'm a contractor so I wouldn't get paid if the Fed Gov closed.) Fortunately for me, I got my name down early on the leave calendar, avoiding any meetings and beating some of my co-workers to the punch. I don't think much work will get done that week.
JR
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Actually, 7springs conditions page says they made some snow with ground guns. That doesn't sound as encouraging as it should for some reason.
jb714
January 7, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I was surprised to see that 7 Springs did not make any snow last night. It seems like they had a good 4-5 hours of temps in the 26-27 degree range. That should have been enough time to pump out 5-6 inches and try to hold on until things (hopefully) cool off late next week.

I know in the past I've seen a good-size stash of snow sort of above Alpine Heights, visible from towards the top of the 6-pack lift. Maybe they've done that again this season and they're harvesting that snow to distribute over the trails?
January 7, 2005
1,986 posts
My friend claims that the drive from Sacramento is not very pleasant in inclement weather--more mountain passes to cross. Also, there's more traffic coming from this direction. However, the Jet Blue flight is one of the better deals and direct as well--albeit a red eye flight.

Independence Air offers a cheap flight to Burlington from IAD. However, for two people, driving is a lot more economical (no air fares and no rental car fees).

I'm personally leaning towards VT because of cost. Stowe got 8 inches last night and opened up more terrain. They have 29 trails open, including Liftline, and powder conditions. However, who knows what it will be like in two weeks.

PS Thanks Snowcone on the tip about UT. I want to avoid crowds, so UT is now out for me.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Quote:

Denis,

If you do make it out to Utah during MLK/Inaugaration week, send me a PM. That goes for any other DCSki Poster. I'm in Utah (SLC) from the 15-22.

I'm not locked in yet. Will probably make the decision over this weekend. Here are some ways you can spot me.

1.) I telemark (reasonably well).
2.) I have a 6" length of green & black plaid hanging from one pole strap as an identifier.
3.) Depending on US mail, I should have a DC Ski sticker on my helmet by then.
4.) My poles are wrapped with Mad River Glen red & white bumper stickers in lieu of a paint job. These are visible from a long distance.
5.) I have a stong preference for Alta.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Alta.html

1-4 are valid anytime, so if you see me locally ski up and say hello.
JohnL
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
John,

I've heard that the slopes are empty during the Sundance Festival; PIB's (People in Black) generally don't ski. The restaurants and lodging in Park City will be heavily booked, however. The best skiing in Utah is not around Park City, so a trip to Utah is often a choice between convenience to snow/terrain and convenience to apres ski.
JohnL
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Here are some ways you can spot me.

1.) I telemark (reasonably well).
2.) I have a 6" length of green & black plaid hanging from one pole strap as an identifier.
3.) Depending on US mail, I should have a DC Ski sticker on my helmet by then.
4.) My poles are wrapped with Mad River Glen red & white bumper stickers in lieu of a paint job. These are visible from a long distance.
5.) I have a stong preference for Alta.

Would they even let you on the slopes in Stratton or Aspen or Vail in a get-up like that?
tomimcmillar
January 7, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
I've made the drive from Sac to Tahoe City before, Reno is much closer. We had serious holiday traffic and then some interesting weather through the Donner Pass, snow on Labor Day wknd in a rental Ford Ranger, yippee.

The couch I get to surf is in Tahoe City, north shore, and I've been told that all I need to do is get to the Reno airport.
I'm gonna listen to the local, just need a cheap flight from Harrisburg.
SeaRide
January 7, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I am going to Tahoe (South Lake Tahoe area via Reno airport)during JAN 20-25 using Southwest @BWI which cost me $226.00 RT.

Hope there's enough snow out there for me.
JohnL
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I've made the drive from Sac to Tahoe City before, Reno is much closer. We had serious holiday traffic and then some interesting weather through the Donner Pass, snow on Labor Day wknd in a rental Ford Ranger, yippee.

As a reminder to others, that is the infamous Donner Pass.
kennedy
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I don't think it will be a washout. From next weekend on it looks like and extended period of very colde weather so snowmaking should be primo. I don't know if anyone has been to snowshoe recently but according to the trail reports the kickers are no longer in the terrain parks which translates into harvested for coverage. How good are conditions really? I always worry when they rip up the park for spare snow it usually means times are tough.
kennedy
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Looking at Whitetails webcam I have to give them credit. It looks like their groomers have worked wonders to keep the place looking good. I seriously had my doubts they would make it through the week but I'm willing to give them the credit they deserve. I think I might go up on Sunday, at least to hit the park.
January 7, 2005
1,986 posts
Have you seen what looks like matting on the snow at WT? Are those mats designed to cover bare spots?
kennedy
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
No, I didn't see that it looks pretty real to me but it's hard to tell from the cams. I sure what they have is pretty crusty but still matting? I dunno
tommo
January 7, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
This certainly is a rotten stretch of warm weather, but it's hardly a washout. It is, after all, only Jan.7th. Beyond that, while things are not looking good for the Snowtime resorts, Wisp is still in good shape and was even making snow last night. More importantly, when the next cold snap hits (and it will hit), they will back to 100% open within 48 hrs.

Don't forget how snowy things can get later in the winter. In March 99, for example, there was over 60 inches of snow in Garrett County and around 80 or so in Canaan Valley. We just need the jet stream to shift back to a more normal alignment.
Crush
January 7, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Denis - I have not posted for some time because I did not want to rub-it-in but ... actually in Park City and Utah we have had a series of storm systems that has surpassed anything we've had in the last three years. This last 7 days has been the most awesome powderskiing yet. Yesterday at The Canyons I was skiing my "local lines-n-finds" and I was over waist-deep gag-ack-ack powder. I got my ski snapped off by some dead-fall skiing in the Aspens and I had to grid for 20 minutes to find my ski I was post-hole-ing in chest-deep snow... and we are going to get 12-24" over the weekend. Forget Presidents-day time ... get here *NOW* ane enjoy no lift lines and more snow that you can possibly imagine in your dreams. Every turn is a face-shot!!!!!! :-) ... if you want to ski with me contact emosel@core.com SUBJECT: ski in UT.
bawalker
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
*Cries*
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 7, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

*Cries*

Yeah, no kidding.

Make some turns for us, Crush.

Don't worry. Cold weather's a coming. It's only January 7.

- Scott

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.