6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Jim
September 4, 2002
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Hey all:

Family and I (wife, baby and two dogs) are looking to spend Christmas somewhere with more likelihood of SNOW. Skiing would be a big big plus. From what I've heard, Snowshoe may be the place. Anybody have any ideas, suggestions, etc. for places to stay (condo or cabin with kitchen) that would be near the slopes, dog-friendly, and available?

Thanks much in advance.

Jim

don
September 5, 2002
Member since 08/28/2002 🔗
15 posts
All of the accomidations at Snowshoe do not allow any pets. Unfortunatly, all the lodging at the resort is operated by Intrawest, so they are pretty uniform in their policies. I believe that central reseravations can give a list of local kennels. I have always stayed at the resort, so I don't know if there is a local hotel. Most likely not, since Snowshoe is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

As far as lodging goes my wife and I usually stay at the Rimfire lodge in a studio. We have found that this is one of the cheapest options on the mountain and it works great for just the 2 of us. Rimfire is only a few years old, and located right in the middle of the 'village' It's got a hot tub, ski lockers, and usually a fireplace in the room. Also look at Highland house, it pretty much identical to Rimfire and they are located near eachother.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 6, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Intrawest does indeed have a no pets policy. The nearest kennel is in Elkins--about 50 minutes away. Elkins is also a cheap place to stay with a few good restaurants, but it is not slopeside and certainly does not have a resort feeling. When I go skiing, I want to be as close to the lifts as possible--a 50 minute drive just doesn't cut it, especially after driving 5 hours to get to a mountain.

If having your pet is important (it is for me), try contacting Canaan Realty at Timberline/Canaan Valley and booking a condo there that allows pets. The Timberline area is definitely as cold as Snowshoe so if we get some natural snow, things could be decent. However, snowmaking is MUCH more limited. In short, for December skiing, Snowshoe really is the best bet. We own a place at Timberline and ended up driving down to Shoe for Christmas skiing last year b/c Timberline was CLOSED. Despite record warm temps in December, skiing was great at Snowshoe! No resort on the East Coast can match Snowshoe's incredible snowmaking system.

(Anonymous)
September 15, 2002
You don't have to rent through Snowshoe- try Misty Mountain Rentals (snowshoerentals.com) They have lots of houses for rent which take pets. I know the owners of "Moonshine"- that house is gorgeous and they take pets. Good Luck and reserve early- it gets really booked up at Xmas.
Jim
September 17, 2002
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Thanks Ann,

Called them and a brochure is on the way. Apparently they are very close to the resort (couple of miles only) so this could work. Thanks again!!

Jim

Otto
September 17, 2002
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Remember to get enough space for your houseboy.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?