7Springs
4 posts
4 users
mrhazmat
January 6, 2005
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Just got back from 4 days at the "Springs" and wanted to post a quick note. Read a few of the warm weather strings and indeed 7Spirngs is being hurt. The day I left only 11 trails and slopes available and many of those are due to the heroic (and creative) efforts of the groomers creating driveway like snow connectors across barren ground to the next snow patch. Nothing on the North face open anymore . I talked with what seemed like a knowlegeable patroller (name escapes me) but hinted at possiblly even having to close temporarily to prepare for the upcoming holiday weekends. Anyway, made the most of it and if anyone has plans to go there within the next few days you might want to reconsider even though lift tickets and tubing tickets are at reduced rates.

Thanks All,
Doug
SkiBumMSP
January 6, 2005
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Just got back from 4 days at the "Springs" and wanted to post a quick note. Read a few of the warm weather strings and indeed 7Spirngs is being hurt. The day I left only 11 trails and slopes available and many of those are due to the heroic (and creative) efforts of the groomers creating driveway like snow connectors across barren ground to the next snow patch. Nothing on the North face open anymore

Ouch! That does suck! And to think, I was just up there the day after Christmas, and they had all but 2 slopes opened, with excellent conditions all the way around (except it was till kinda thin in the glades, thus I did not attempt any of them).

I guess, unless conditions turn around, I probably wont get any more trips up there this season.
RobertW
January 6, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Thanks for the report mrhazmat. My hat as always is off to Seven Springs' heroic effort to stay open. I don't know how they have kept the cover they have. We have had non-stop heavy rain here in Western PA for the last 48 hours with flooding.

Right now Seven Springs is your only choice in Western PA. Laurel, Hidden Valley and Blue Knob (and don't forget Boyce Park) have all closed till the weather improves.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I doubt the ski resorts will be making any money this year. Remember, just before Christmas, the bases they had been building were wiped out by the storm on 12/22. Now they are going to have to start all over again. This is the period when the resorts are generally building on their bases because it is usually the coldest weather of the winter, not the warmest as it is now. I don't think I could take the stress of watching all that money being washed off the slopes. I skied 7Springs on 12/28 and they had great conditions as did Hidden Valley. What a shame!!!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?