Gas Explosion in Hardy County
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
bawalker
December 7, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I wanted to pass along word that there was a Columbia Gas explosion this morning located in the heart of Mathias, WV. The explosion could be felt as far away as 40 miles which is reported. My grandma who lives 4 miles away felt the explosion in her house and could hear it very audibly.

No fatalities are confirmed yet, but the Mathias Garage (owed by family of mine) was appearantly destroyed. A family friend's grandfather, a young boy that works there, and the owner were all taken to UVA for severe burns.

WV 259 is closed from the Broadway Virginia side as well as WV 259 is closed from the Baker side. Residents within a 6 mile radius of that area are being evacuated to East Hardy High School.

Keep those people in your prayers and hopefully no fatalities result of this.
jimmy
December 7, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
"Keep those people in your prayers and hopefully no fatalities result of this."

I will Brad. Sounds like quite a catastrophe. Keep us posted.

Jimmy
bawalker
December 7, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
12/07/2004
Explosion Rocks Hardy County Community

Staff
Mathias

HEAR COMMENTS WITH HARDY COUNTY OES DIRECTOR PAUL LEWIS BY CLICKING "LIVE AUDIO" ICON ABOVE.

Five people are hospitalized and dozens more have been evacuated from their homes in Hardy County following a natural gas explosion in the community of Mathias. An auto repair shop, called the Mathias Garage, exploded Tuesday morning.

Hardy County Emergency Services Director Paul Lewis says the force of the explosion destroyed the garage. He says debris was scattered several hundred feet from the area and a fire destroyed everything that was left.

Lewis says all of the victims suffered burn injuries. They are being treated in hospitals in Winchester and Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Lewis says the area is a major underground storage location for natural gas. He says that has prompted authorities to evacuate residents living in a two-mile radius of the garage. Police have also closed busy Route-259 between Baker and the Virginia line.

Lewis says East Hardy High School and a few churches are being used as shelters. Students are being held at East Hardy High unless their parents come and get them.

Lewis says gas company crews are bleeding off a large 12- mile long gas line to eliminate the threat of further explosions."
bawalker
December 7, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.