23 posts
14 users
3k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 6, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Hi folks!

Several people have asked about the possibility of getting DCSki lapel pins in the past, which could be worn on your ski jacket, etc. to identify yourself as a DCSkier. I did some research to determine how much it would cost to have DCSki pins produced. As you can imagine, the cost varies significantly based on the quantity ordered, but it starts around $276 for 100 pins, $439 for 200 pins, and $492 for 300 pins. (I haven't started going through the process of ordering them, so there might be some hidden costs.)

Over the past few months, I have been dabbling with an idea to offer an "optional subscription" to DCSki that provides some value-added features. DCSki is funded in part by advertisers, and I intend to keep the site "free." Every feature you see on the site today will remain free. But some people have asked to donate money to DCSki in the past, and if I begin accepting donations, I want to offer something in return. A lapel pin might be one thing I could offer.

My rough thought is that I could offer an "optional subscription/donation" (for around $20 per year, or whatever the reader thought was appropriate), and it might include the following: A personal photo album on DCSki (where you can upload and share your own photos), a personal blog on DCSki (where you can document your ski trip adventures), a DCSki lapel pin, and recognition under your name on the DCSki Message Forums as a "DCSki Supporter."

This is a tentative plan -- I've been too swamped this Fall to implement the photo album or blog features, for example -- but I am open to feedback from readers on whether this is a good idea, a dumb idea, or if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,

- Scott
Roy
December 6, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I think it's a good idea and would support the subscription service. I don't know how you do it now just on advertisers.
jimmy
December 6, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Pin me!
mrhazmat
December 6, 2004
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Excellent ideas Scott! I will gladly support this endeavor.

Doug
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
TOMF
December 6, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
Count me in.

Tom
snowcone
December 6, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Excellent! So where do I sign up? To whom/what do I make out my check? Possibility of buying additional pins (support) ??
ski_guy_59
December 6, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Scott, I think the idea you have developed is great and encompasses many of the "supporter features" that were discussed on the board this summer. I still think selling the pins at the resorts who help provide DCSki to world might be an idea. Perhaps you could set a base rate that you charge them for the pens, which covers your costs and everything, and then they have semi-exclusive rights to sell the pens at the customary cost for as long as they help sponsor the site?
RobertW
December 6, 2004
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Yes, I am a paying member of several tech boards that use this model and would love the opportunity to support DCSki.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Does DcSki have a paypal account for those of us who threw away our checkbooks years ago?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Scott,
I'm ready whenever you are!!!
The Colonel
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 6, 2004
1,251 posts
An update on the lapel pins: I've requested a quote from a company so we'll see how that goes. It looks like the minimum time for getting pins made is 2 weeks, but if everything works out pins should be available sometime this season.

Thanks for the support,

- Scott
tskski
December 6, 2004
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
I agree! Great ideas Scott.
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 6, 2004
1,251 posts
Oh, one other thing: there are multiple sizes available, from 3/4" wide up to 1.5". I'm requesting a quote for 1", as that size seems about right, but I don't have a good feel for these things. If anyone has a strong preference, let me know. I'm also asking for a quote on Cloisonné pins, which I believe are the highest quality. A description follows.

"Cloisonné Lapel Pins - are die-struck from a copper bronze surface. A die is created to imprint your design into the metal. The outline of the pin and any cut-outs are then cut with another mold. Colors are hand-filled with a powdered glass-like mixture. Colors are fired one at a time at 1,600 F for two to four minutes. This two step process insures that bleeding of colors does not occur. Next, the pins are individually hand polished and then gold or silver plated.Then each pin is inspected to ensure only the highest quality is individually packaged and sent to us for final inspection."

Metal plating choices are high polished gold metal, high polished silver metal, polished copper, polished black metal, and black nickel. I'm not sure what color would look best with the DCSki logo, so I might see if the company's designers have a recommendation.

- Scott
ski_guy_59
December 6, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Scott, the company would probably have a good idea on what metal selection to go with. I would think gold would look good because most pins use gold. On another note, one inch sounds right to me.
warren
December 7, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Scott,
The subscription/pin thing sounds good to me too
I'd asked earlier about contributing and I'm still game.

-Warren-
Jim
December 7, 2004
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Scott - count me in for a contribution/pin as well.

Jim
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 7, 2004
1,251 posts
Another update: I received a Proof from the pin company today, and they did a very good job designing a pin with the DCSki logo. (I'd love to post an image of the design here, but since it's a draft they still have the rights to it.) It uses a combination of polished silver and recessed silver to contrast with the blue parts of DCSki's logo. The mountains at the top of the logo define the upper boundaries of the pin; there's a rectagular area below, and the D, right i, and lower swoop of the S extend beyond the rectangular area. (You'll just have to try and visualize all that for now. ) I'll try to post a proof once the order goes through.

So, I'm going ahead and ordering 500. Production time will be 2 weeks or so, so they should be available in early January.

- Scott
ski_guy_59
December 8, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Scott,
Count me in! Too bad I can't have the pin before my Christmas trip!
Jarrett
warren
December 8, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Scott,
You Da man!!

-Warren-
mrhazmat
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Excellent Scott! Are you going to accept advance orders? Or do prefer to have them in hand first and go from there? I am sure these pins are going to be a popular item.

Thanks Again,
Doug
snowcone
December 8, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Whoopee! ... Sign me up for 3 to start. Hope they are ready before our 1st trip out west in mid-January. Be nice to show those westerners we are alive and kicking in MidA.

Seriously, are you able to accept pre orders?
tromano
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I gotta support the cause. How do I get in on this?
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 8, 2004
1,251 posts
Hi folks,

I want to wait until the pins arrive and I have a chance to inspect them before I take reservations for them -- just in case there's something wrong with them. There should be more than enough to go around -- I ordered 500. I'm glad everyone's excited about them -- I think it was a great idea. (And I know I'm going to be looking out for them in the lift lines.)

Thanks,

- Scott

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?