Late Season Skiing for Beginners?
6 posts
6 users
2k+ views
AndrewM
February 18, 2022
Member since 02/17/2022 🔗
1 posts

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to DC area skiing. A couple of weeks back, we took our 7-year-old skiing for the first time at Wisp and he really took to it and had a fun time. I would love to take him one more time this season to build on some of the skills, but the only weekend that will work with our schedule is 3/12.

Is that too late in the season for a beginner? I don't know if the slopes get icy or otherwise challenging as the weather warms, and I'd hate for him to have a bad experience. On the flip side, he wouldn't need much more than 1 or 2 easy slopes and the practice hill to be in good condition for him to get the full experience. We're thinking of going back to Wisp, since that's what worked well for us earlier, but we're certainly open to any other resorts that are good for newbies at that time of year. 

Thanks!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,278 posts

Of course hard to predict snow conditions for mid-March this early.  However, the base at Massanutten is very deep.  They have added several big fan guns on Southern Comfort.  In addition the new Meadow beginner terrain served by a long magic carpet is probably one of the best places for a beginner.  It's essentially the "perfect slope" in the lingo of Terrain Based Learning (TM) because it's wide, flat (no double fall-line), and relatively long for the region.

Massanutten typically continues to make snow in early March if temperatures allow.  The Snow Moon Fest is March 4-6.  If the following week is cool, or at least temps aren't over 40, the weekend of March 11-12 could be good.

Are you thinking day trip or stay overnight?  

camp
February 19, 2022 (edited February 19, 2022)
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

AndrewM wrote:

Is that too late in the season for a beginner?

I think Spring, post Prez Day, is the best time for beginners. Usually warmer, usually no guns blasting, easier to talk/hear. And certainly much less crowded and great for learning. Kids don't know if the snow isn't perfect

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2022
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,578 posts
With advances in grooming, they can make a nice surface out of anything. Going to ski areas west of the Allegheny Front - Wisp, Canaan, Timberline, Hidden Valley, Seven Springs, Laurel will usually result in better conditions due to higher elevations. March can sometimes be very good at these resorts. Your beginner will find green terrain at all of these resorts. Based on long range forecasts I have seen, March could be a good month.
jn_freedman
February 21, 2022
Member since 03/17/2018 🔗
25 posts

Granted this is for next year but big fan of Saturday Whitetrailers at Whitetail.  If you live in the DC area it's a great time.  It fills up quickly so send them an email to get on the list for next year.

JNF

dclivejazz
February 23, 2022
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts
Liberty has a lot of terrain for beginners. They have also built up a fairly deep base of snow. Baring lots of rain and high temps they should still be skiable March 12. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?