Long lines this morning at Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail
6 posts
6 users
3k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 8, 2022
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Readers are reporting on the DCSki Facebook group that there are very long lines today at Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail.  Probably not surprising since for many this is "opening" day.  But the three mountains have limited terrain open (that should change in the coming days) and it looks like there may be huge lines for guest services (to get tickets / passes / etc.) as well as the lifts.  So this weekend might not be the best time to hit these resorts.  Midweek they should clear out, if you can adjust your schedules.  Otherwise bring patience.

Here's a photo from Whitetail earlier today, posted by Alex Peer to the DCSki Facebook group.

1641663670_lymrxpnlpdsw.jpg

mdr227
January 8, 2022
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
I saw that picture earlier on FB, unbelievable to see it that long.   Weekends are usually pretty bad at all local resorts (other than maybe Bryce), but Whitetail seems to be one of the worst on weekends.   I will only hit WT or Liberty on a weekday which are usually great especially if you get there around 9.   I can only imagine how frustrating it was for those people to wait that long just to get to the slopes then to see the lift lines for the two top to bottom trails open.  
JCPnVA
January 8, 2022
Member since 11/21/2021 🔗
5 posts

1641682543_owxjrmyjuzqb.jpg

We went to Liberty today and got 9 runs in from 9 AM to 1 PM.  The pocket pizza was pretty good and they were all in on snowmaking.  After noon the two blue runs on the back side were pretty moguled  (for a blue run).  They had both backside quads running which kept the lines down, but with only two backside runs open it was pretty crowded on the slopes.  On the frontside, the two lift lines ran into each other at one point, and all the ski racks were full.  The picture above was taken at 12:30 and it looks like the parking lots were full then, by the time we drove off a little after 1 the overflow was moving into the business on the corner past the overflow lot.

I'm glad to see Epic do well with their cheaper passes this year and recent purchases in PA, but hope a new skier showing up at noon to buy a lift ticket, go through the rental line, and then wait for the lift isn't turned off of skiing forever.

Can't wait to go back midweek once more terrain is open.

ZARDOG
January 8, 2022
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Many came Sat since Friday the winds were bad and Sunday expecting freezing rain until noon. The lines were like that with Peak also. I had my pass in the mail in Aug. 

I do like the handheld scanners they work great. Read my pass under jacket pocket.

More terrain will help with the bump up on just 1 trail. Nice and cold all next week. 

On Friday Lift on the back of liberty was 5 mins or less in the morning. 

zardog 

Cole53
January 8, 2022
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
17 posts

Posted on the DC Ski facebook

Whitetail Angel Drop looks like fun bumps, and also like hell1641698879_sfcrmugxiwfu.jpg

jn_freedman
January 9, 2022
Member since 03/17/2018 🔗
24 posts

Today was opposite day at Whitetail.  Felt like a ghost town.  Sad to hear that Solstice and Daybreak are closed for the year.  I don't know if this staffing shortage is real or if it's a VRI cost cutting strategy.

Another lesson learned is to stay away from detachable lifts when it's icing out...

JNF

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?