DCSki Resort Profiles updated for 2021-2022 Winter Season
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 27, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Just a quick note that I've finished updating DCSki's Resort Profiles for 34 skis areas in the broader Mid-Atlantic region.  These streamlined profiles include resort descriptions, key statistics and social media/webcam links, trail maps, directions, current weather and snowmaking potential, current snow conditions, recent news, and related forum posts, all in a consistent format.  There's also an interactive map for exploring resorts.  Check it out!
superguy
December 1, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Awesome! Thanks Scott!
Keith_Moon
December 2, 2021 (edited December 2, 2021)
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Great list. You might also consider adding Appalachian, Ober Gatlinburg, Cataloochee, and Wolf Ridge.  I geddit that this is a DC-oriented site, so some may wonder why people from there would want to travel to these places, which are admittedly smaller than many others on this list, and further from DC.  The reason is that all of them have other nearby draws that might make them appealing destinations.

• App: Many tourist attractions nearby, and other ski areas Beech and Sugar (and great terrain park)
  • Ober: Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge
  • Cat: near Asheville and it often opens early in the season - as in first in the entire Eastern US early
  • Wolf: also close to Asheville
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Excellent updates, Scott!

The new layout is visually appealing and easy to read.  The photo and trail map are essential, of course.  I also like the stats table as well as the mileage info.  The openstreetmaps images are particularly useful when the source provides the actual configuration of the ski runs so we can see the layout "on the ground".

Finally, I appreciate your highlighting not only the areas' particular advantages (e.g., high capacity snowmaking) but also their drawbacks (e.g., crowds on weekends).  Over the past 15 years, DCSki.com has lured me onto the slopes and opened my eyes to the surprising quality and diversity of skiing opportunities here in the Mid-Atlantic.  Much appreciated.

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Great list. You might also consider adding Appalachian, Ober Gatlinburg, Catlaoochee, and Wolf Ridge.  I geddit that this is a DC-oriented site, so some may wonder why people from there would want to travel to these places, which are admittedly smaller than many others on this list, and further from DC.  The reason is that all of them have other nearby draws that might make them appealing destinations.

• App: Many tourist attractions nearby, and other ski areas Beech and Sugar (and great terrain park)
  • Cat: near Asheville and it often opens early in the season - as in first in the entire Eastern US early

Perhaps worth adding Cat because it's on Indy.  Ober is fun for the area and the Sky Bridge.  Even though I live in NC, I haven't bothered to ski at App or Wolf.  App is too small and too full of college students.  Beech and Sugar are too close to justify skiing at App.  Wolf depends too much on natural snow.

Keith_Moon
December 2, 2021 (edited December 2, 2021)
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Agreed.  I would not make a special trip to go to any of them, but Asheville, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Boone/Blowing Rock etc. draw a lot of tourists who might also want to add skiing to their trips to those respective places.

I have also never skied App or Wolf, although I would like to try Wolf, but they don't seem interested in opening all their runs.

marzNC wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

Great list. You might also consider adding Appalachian, Ober Gatlinburg, Cataloochee, and Wolf Ridge.  I geddit that this is a DC-oriented site, so some may wonder why people from there would want to travel to these places, which are admittedly smaller than many others on this list, and further from DC.  The reason is that all of them have other nearby draws that might make them appealing destinations.

Perhaps worth adding Cat because it's on Indy.  Ober is fun for the area and the Sky Bridge.  Even though I live in NC, I haven't bothered to ski at App or Wolf.  App is too small and too full of college students.  Beech and Sugar are too close to justify skiing at App.  Wolf depends too much on natural snow.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.