Wisp
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2021
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

We have a trip planned next weekend.  Just looked at the trail report and noticed that Main Street isn't open.  Anybody that has been out there recently, have they been blowing snow over there? Maybe it's close to opening?

Keeping my fingers crossed since we rented a ski in / ski out townhouse over on that side.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2021 (edited January 22, 2021)
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Their facebook page has lots of comments asking why isn't the East Ridge open, why aren't they blowing snow over there, and why doesn't Wisp bother to provide any kind of meaningful updates on their website or via social media.

Now go visit their corporate parent website that states right upfront: "With what some have declared as the top snowmaking system in the world covering 172 acres of varied terrain, Wisp Resort has slopes for everyone."

pgri.us

Dbren
January 22, 2021
Member since 01/23/2015 🔗
9 posts

They just posted this Friday late afternoon:

"The entire Wisp Resort team is as anxious as all of you skiers and snowboarders to get more terrain open on the mountain, including East Ridge. The types of snowmaking guns do differ around the mountain, and in particular the guns on Main Street require a substantially lower temperature to be the most productive. Our hope is that tonight, those temperatures arrive so we can fire up Main Street. As for an opening day for East Ridge, it MAY be possible to get it open sometime next week, weather and conditions permitting. Like many businesses in the area, staffing continues to be a challenge - international employee programs cancelled and quarantining as needed – throughout the pandemic, and our dedicated team is putting 100% effort into the job at hand. We appreciate everyone’s support and hope you are enjoying the current conditions."

I'm out there next Friday, the kids have a day off from school. Cold temps and two storms *maybe* coming through mid-Atlantic next week. Holding out some hope...

January 22, 2021
158 posts

Yeah, I just saw that as well.   Looking at the forecast, you would think they could blow snow every night.  

Maybe anybody out there this weekend can give us a first hand report of whales appearing.  

Dbren wrote:

They just posted this Friday late afternoon:

"The entire Wisp Resort team is as anxious as all of you skiers and snowboarders to get more terrain open on the mountain, including East Ridge. The types of snowmaking guns do differ around the mountain, and in particular the guns on Main Street require a substantially lower temperature to be the most productive. Our hope is that tonight, those temperatures arrive so we can fire up Main Street. As for an opening day for East Ridge, it MAY be possible to get it open sometime next week, weather and conditions permitting. Like many businesses in the area, staffing continues to be a challenge - international employee programs cancelled and quarantining as needed – throughout the pandemic, and our dedicated team is putting 100% effort into the job at hand. We appreciate everyone’s support and hope you are enjoying the current conditions."

I'm out there next Friday, the kids have a day off from school. Cold temps and two storms *maybe* coming through mid-Atlantic next week. Holding out some hope...

GGNagy
January 22, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Heading out tomorrow, and then next weekend Fri-Sun. Will report. 
GGNagy
January 23, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Guns were on full blast on Mainstreet, Odin's, and Down Under. Large whales on the latter two. I know that they like to get a large base on Down Under and Mainstreet before opening. I would bet that they groom it out within the week, after some draining. Whipsaw and Over The Edge need a lot more work. 

A lot of snowmaking during the day looked to be focused on reinforcing high traffic areas. 

Dbren
January 23, 2021
Member since 01/23/2015 🔗
9 posts
Thanks for the info.  Now I need to keep eyes on the weather to make sure I can get the kids out of here (just south of DC) once they wrap class on Thursday and beat it out there by evening. Forecast and timing keeps shifting.  
needawax
January 23, 2021
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
36 posts
Thinking of hitting Wisp 1/30...   Looks like they're geared up enough at this point...
January 26, 2021
158 posts

Just looked at the mountain report and Main Street and the 2 chairs on that side is open.  

Yey!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?