Traveling with a snowboard.
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
bawalker
November 10, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'm looking to possibly go out west this ski season to either a friends at Mt. Hood or maybe down into the lower rockies (Utah, Arizona, etc). My question is, when traveling with my snowboard what precautions do I need to take so that my board is not damaged during flight, loading and unloading at the airports?
danielle
November 10, 2004
Member since 05/17/2004 🔗
10 posts
I've never traveled with a snowboard before, but i would suggest using a snowboard bag with some bubble wrap or something wrapped around the board.
SeaRide
November 10, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I would say any snowboard travel bag will do. If you do worry a bit, just wrap old towel around both tips to prevent damage. Not that it has happened to me but just a thought it might help. I've done travel with snowboard many times but haven't got any damage to mine yet.

Just check in your snowboard bag like you do with the luggage. Of course, no locks on anything. TSA need to inspect the bags for security reason.
Most airports in the west comes with special baggage claim area for people to pick up skis, snowboards, golfbags, whitewater kayaks, large iceboxes, etc.

My snowboard travel bag comes with dual straps(like backpack) and a single strap (over the shoulder). Also, it comes with a very large compartment for storing boots, helmet, couple snowpants, goggle, gloves, etc.

I am planning on going to Tahoe and somewhere in Colorado this year.

Please don't say "possibly", just do it. j/k
Jim
November 11, 2004
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
You could also try a Sportube case. Sportube makes a line of hard two-piece cases for skis, snowboards, and fishing poles. I have the ski case capable of carrying two pair. Its great and I don't worry if baggage handlers throw around my skis. The cases are very sturdy. I've had mine for three seasons now (and five trips out west). I KNOW its been tossed around - but without any problems. They are a bit pricey, but I haven't found better out there. They are definitely a vast improvement over soft cases. Also, when you get to your destination, you can strap the case to the top of any factory installed generic rack on the rental car. Its like a custom top box for your gear.

The snowboard case weblink is here: http://www.sportube.com/pages/snowboards.htm
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?