Why?? Wondering why!
5 posts
5 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Wondering why resorts plow the snow from around the bottom lift terminals.  Look at the SS cam pictures to see what I am talking about.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'd bet it's to speed up the melting process.  That way, they can get to the lifts faster for maint and prep for summer mtn biking.  If you look at the Shavers / Skidder cam you'll see they try to get down to that paved area as well.

Bonzski
March 18, 2020
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I'd bet it's to speed up the melting process.  That way, they can get to the lifts faster for maint and prep for summer mtn biking.  If you look at the Shavers / Skidder cam you'll see they try to get down to that paved area as well.

Yeah, I recall mention SS has plans of remaking the Skidder area to make it more useful & efficient year-around.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2020
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

The first time I went to Mammoth, 1995 I believe, a trench had to be dug under the lift to keep the chairs from bottoming out.  Not going to happen this year.

eggraid
May 6, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Yeah, I recall mention SS has plans of remaking the Skidder area to make it more useful & efficient year-around.

Skidder is head and shoulders worse than any beginner area I have seen at any ski resort; I feel so bad for the beginners shivering in the blasting winds, trying to navigate down the double-fall line without either running into the fencing or being plowed down by skiers flying through from Ball Hooter lift. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?