Alta, UT 4/17/19
4 posts
4 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 17, 2019
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

I skied Alta today for the first time this winter.  It is still skiing great with tons of snow all over the mountain.  Today was the sunniest day in quite some time out here and I met MarzNC and friends for a really BEAUTIFUL day.  Here are a few photos:

A few more photos HERE  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2019 (edited April 21, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Glad we could ski together.  The conditions were great for spring skiing!

By the way, for parents of young kids reading . . . the boy in the blue jacket is the son of a good friend of mine who learned to ski thanks to the Massanutten Ski School.  He started at age 6 and is 12 this year.  He was at a Blue Knob Gathering a few years ago.  He has the the advantage of having played ice hockey since he was 4 (family living in Pittsburgh until they moved to Raleigh).  This was his family's third spring break at Alta Lodge.  He was Level 8 at Alta Ski School last year when he was 11.  That's the same age that my daughter reached Level 8 at Alta after starting to ski at Mnut at age 4.  For kids, good lessons in the mid-Atlantic prepares them well for big mountains.  Especially if they get a day or two of ski school at a destination resort early in a spring break ski vacation week.

My ski buddy, Bill (green jacket), had a great time skiing all over Alta with the boy.  Took him for his first time down High Rustler the day after we skied with Jim.

My friend and her daughter also learned to ski at Massanutten in recent years.  Mother was able to ski the easy blues at Alta two years ago during their first trip out west two years ago.  She did three afternoon group lessons in a row and lucked out.  Had the same very experience instructor for solo lessons.  This season she was pretty solid skiing down the Collins blues following me in the blue sky days, even though the family on skied one day at Wintergreen before the trip to Alta.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
April 24, 2019
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

That is some truly great spring skiing.  Way to make it last!

superguy
May 9, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Utah was phenomenal in April.  Never would have known it was spring as they kept getting hit.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?