Ski Jackets
12 posts
8 users
3k+ views
David
November 7, 2004
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I'm looking to buy a new jacket here soon and was wanting some suggestions on what was working for some other people. I have seen and tried on the brand new/heaviest jacket that Spider has out, and I must say that it is very sweet. The only drawback is that it was $385. For a poor college student like myself that is way over budget. Normally I would try to go after anything Marker, but the ski shop that I shop at isn't dealing with Marker this year. I was just wandering what else was out there....anything would help.

P.S. Anyone heard of or know anything about Killtec??
snowcarver75
November 8, 2004
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
1 posts
Hm...skiwear, isn't that like a big subject onto itself?

Anyhow, my personal experience is that you should start shopping mid-summer for great deals. Particularly if you already know your jacket size you should consider shopping online. ebay.com and sierratradingpost.com are great. I think you pay 50% more for just the gore-tex brand due to licensing fee. In other words, I believe that stuff made by Helly hansen (hellytech) or Lowe (triplepoint) are the best bang for your buck.
warren
November 8, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
David,
I have a Bonfire Gold series shell that I've been using for the past 3 seasons. It's Bonfire's version of GoreTex and has worked really well for me! I've been in pouring rain, dumping snow , below zero and windy and it has kept me confortable.

-Warren-
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Check out the Columbia Titanium jacket series, has pit zips, waterproof, breathes, liner, etc. I have visited a off-Columbia web site that has excellent prices with seconds, etc.
The Colonel
Crush
November 8, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts
Until you decide you want to go big ....

Just get a "shell" as we skier call it. Like a Columbia or even a Fila or something maybe an Arcteryx like I use ... just as long as it is waterproof and breathes. Get it at a sale and *inexpensive*.

A shell is just a waterproof wind-breaker like jacket. The idea is you bundle up underneath with layers like maybe a sweater with a nice lumberjack fleece shirt or whatever you have lying around.

The shell will be lookin' now and chill around campus as cool sports-wear (maybe an earth tone?) plus you can ski in it. And if you get serious *then* blow the blow the big bucks and get a technical jacket, of which as you have seen there are a million of.
snowcone
November 8, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Crush has a good idea .. but think on this.

You can plunk down the bucks for a Columbia Titanium or maybe a Spyder and end up with 2 jackets. Most of the Titaniums and some of the Spyders have a zip-out fleeced that works great for a second fall jacket. Add it back into the shell when the weather gets really cold. Plus the Ti's and the Spyders are seriously water resistant .. not Gortex but the next best thing and a whole lot cheaper.

And then there is Christmas a-coming. You can tell 'Santa' that this is what you would like .. or maybe a gift certificate at a good ski shop and then you can make up the difference.
TerpSKI
November 8, 2004
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
GO waterproof, you won't regret it!
David
November 11, 2004
2,444 posts
I went today back to the ski shop because today was the day everything in the store would be atleast 20% off, and I took my mom with me because she was the one getting me the jacket. She ended up talking me out of the $150 Killtec jacket and bought me the $385 Spyder jacket. How cool is my mom I bet you are wondering???
TerpSKI
November 11, 2004
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
I'm wondering how I can get her to adopt me
ski_guy_59
November 11, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
This will sound surprising, but Columbia's are selling BELOW MSRP in Florida at The Sports Authority. I was looking at the Lightning Ridge II - couldn't find it online - and it is one of the two-in-one combos. List $200, selling for $149.99. Very cool, and very warm!
snowcone
November 12, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Hey David!

Good on your mom! She is a smart lady. She knows by spending a bit more for a -good- jacket for her bunky, then bunky is gonna be nice and warm for this winter and a bunch more winters thereafter. I do the same for my kid .. its a mom thing!
David
November 12, 2004
2,444 posts
You are right. She loves me very much . The only down fall is that Christmas and my Birthday are already taken care of.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?