Following the Snow
19 posts
12 users
3k+ views
jpetraiuolo
February 27, 2020
Member since 02/11/2020 🔗
54 posts

Watching the webcams at Canaan, Snowshoe, and Wisp has been awesome today. Looks like they are making snow too!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Blue sky and windy at Massanutten this morning.  Snow guns on even for Geronimo near the base.

Headed that way shortly!

wgo
February 27, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Wisp looking good too...will be there this weekend!
Argent - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2020
Member since 12/20/2018 🔗
19 posts

Anyone going more north this weekend? I was thinking Hunter or Camelback. 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2020 (edited February 27, 2020)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

For the adventurous snow chaser I'd recommend heading up north through central PA and NY right now.  Snow ridge in Turin N.Y., on the Tug Hill Plateau, north of Syracuse, will get up to 40" of lake effect powder from the developing storm.  Maybe stop at Greek Peak as well.

Vermont
February 27, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Just spoke to a friend at Hunter they didn't get any snow from the storm, couple more hours north we are at Killington today the snow was as good as it gets and its a blizzard out there now with the whole mountain open you can't beat it, the woods are a blast   it's going to be cold so the snow will be amazing until Tuesday  when warm temps and rain start wipes things out , 

make the trip it's amazing out there! Ski on

Vermont
February 27, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Denis wrote:

For the adventurous snow chaser I'd recommend heading up north through central PA and NY right now.  Snow ridge in Turin N.Y., on the Tug Hill Plateau, north of Syracuse, will get up to 40" of lake effect powder from the developing storm.  Maybe stop at Greek Peak as well.

Agree also with the Tug Hill Plateau areas, I have never skied them but heard good things about mount Mccauly , I hope to try that area sometime for a lake effect powder day, the snow is so sweet at Killington you can go anywhere 1500 acres in play 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2020
3,245 posts

Denis wrote:

Here's a basic explanation of the the lake effect snow that hits western NY state.  Drove thru a storm in the dark on the NY turnpike once quite a while ago.  Was pretty weird when we hit the edge of the storm.  From full blizzard conditions with no visibility to nothing in a very short distance.  I was a passenger and the driver was very experienced, but I was very glad to get through in one piece.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lake-effect-snow-blizzard-syracuse-new-york-tug-hill-plateau-forecast/

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
February 28, 2020
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Skiied all the freshies and untracked yesterday at Wisp, was great except for the wind on the their slow lifts.  Had probably 5-6 overall by end of day.  They also had a fair amount of guns on  - should be pretty good conditions for cruising this weekend.  Unfortunately the bases were all wet and froze, hopefully sun temps and grooming will help with the ice.  

Keith_Moon
February 29, 2020
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

We're off to Sugar today and Beech tomorrow.  I don't know about PA, but down here (and at Snowshoe, which I've also been watching) this might end up being the best weekend of the entire season.  It's been snowing almost continuously since Thursday but the fact that it's not a holiday weekend and the strong winds, etc. seem to be keeping some people away based on what I can see on the webcams.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 29, 2020
3,245 posts

Skied Wintergreen yesterday morning, Massanutten in the afternoon, and Bryce this morning.  Conditions at Bryce were very good, it was 23 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot around 8:30am.  They were just fininshing up grooming.  All snowguns were off. All the open trails had pretty deep coverage.

Mnut yesterday afternoon was good.  DJ was better than Paradice.  Perhaps more snowmaking there overnight?  Showtime was very nice.

I hadn't been to Wintergreen in about ten years.  Not too much different as far as the slopes are concerned.  It was pretty icy all over.  Only one way down in Highlands.  Did a second run but it wasn't really fun because it was icy.  Also just enough people that you had to pay attention to in case they went down or past you at high speed.  Wasn't planning on staying all day, and didn't regret leaving right after lunch.  Met up with a friend and his wife who did a day trip from NC, otherwise not really worth it.

Keith_Moon
March 1, 2020
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

marzNC wrote:

Skied Wintergreen yesterday morning...It was pretty icy all over... not really worth it.

I've been feeling the same about Wintergreen for the past few years.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2020
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Some people are spoiled from being out west too much.  My 24yo daughter and I skied Wintergreen yesterday and today and it was pretty good.  As usual, steeper slopes are more icey, flatter slopes more buttery.  I like butter.  Big acorn area skied a lot better than highlandia, pretty much ski on and with the smallest possible polite soft bumps forming here and there which I encouraged as much as possible.  Locals said it was the best wkeend this winter.  No match for Brighton or even Cherry Peak last week, but more than good enough for Virginia. 

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2020
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

I was told by my friends that skiing in the Laurels this weekend was the best the conditions have been all season after 8" of snow and some great snow making weather. Unfortunately, I could not be there.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2020
3,245 posts

pagamony wrote:

Some people are spoiled from being out west too much.  My 24yo daughter and I skied Wintergreen yesterday and today and it was pretty good.  As usual, steeper slopes are more icey, flatter slopes more buttery.  I like butter.  Big acorn area skied a lot better than highlandia, pretty much ski on and with the smallest possible polite soft bumps forming here and there which I encouraged as much as possible.  Locals said it was the best wkeend this winter.  No match for Brighton or even Cherry Peak last week, but more than good enough for Virginia. 

The last few days I skied at Wintergreen, Bryce, and Massanutten.  On Friday, I was at Wgreen and Mnut.  On Saturday, I was at Bryce in the morning and then Mnut after 4pm.  Wintergreen had the worst snow conditions of the three.  So my impressions were based on comparing snow conditions in VA.

I had a ball at Mnut making fresh tracks on Paradice under the snow guns on Sat evening.  The guns were putting out dry snow.  Sun morning was absolutely fantastic on DJ first thing.  Paradice needed to soften a bit, which probably happened by 11am.  By then I was skiing with a friend who is an intermediate off Lift 5.  Great spring conditions after lunch all over.  Especially with Phantom on my skis.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2020
3,245 posts

One of the Mnut senior staff went to Canaan Valley the day after all the new snow.  Hadn't been there for a long time apparently.  He had a very good time. :-)

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2020
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

marzNC wrote:

One of the Mnut senior staff went to Canaan Valley the day after all the new snow.  Hadn't been there for a long time apparently.  He had a very good time. :-)

Many thanks to marzNC, Pagamony, snowsmith, wgo, RodneyBD, Denis, Vermont and others for the updates re. the Mid-A and points north, and to jpetraiuolo for the original post.  I'd missed the news about the dump at CV, for example.

Had a great day at 7S this past Friday, February 28.  Still trying to squeeze as much fun as possible out of this season, sub-par though it may be.  

Woody

wgo
March 2, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Wisp was fun this weekend. We skied Saturday afternoon into the evening and all day Sunday. Conditions were firm on Saturday except for  the pockets of fresh snow that could still be found. Bobcat Bowl, a short natural snow only trail was open for one of the few times this season and was a nice change of pace. Weather was pretty cold, especially as the sun started going down so we were done by 6. Sunday was warmer and as the snow softened a bit there were really good conditions all over the mountain.

I know that Wisp has its issues but I have really liked it this year. We have Wintergreen season passes but with the poor season this far south we have skied at Wisp using the reciprocal benefits as much as we have been at Wintergreen. The Face is legit steep by Mid-Atlantic standards and once you figure out where to tuck to negotiate the flat parts of the mountain (and your kids are old enough to skate) it is not difficult to get around.

snapdragon
March 3, 2020
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

After picking up 17" over 3 days the boys dropped the ropes at CVR...could be another 10" by Saturday...smoke 'em if you got 'em!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.