New glade named at Timberline
11 posts
6 users
2k+ views
andy
October 14, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
"Gladerunner" someone won something from Timberline for coming up with that name. I would have thought they could have come up with something better...like the name I submitted in the contest"WHITE TIMBER GLADES"..What were some of you all's names? Gladerunner should be the name of someone RUNNING the glades not the run itself.That would make the name of the run gladerun?!!?Imagine your self at TIMBERline at the entrance to the GLADES & the snow is so thick & plastered WHITE on the trees...get the picture? Come on TL I know you moniter this site...Give me my free lift tickets!!!
bawalker
October 14, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I still swear Pumphouse Glades was the best
andy
October 14, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
I submitted "pumphouse glades" as my 2nd pick.I thought that was a good one too!The glades are adjacent to the white lightning slope & the pumphouse.... TL Bieng a DC ski area maybe the WHITE HOUSE GLADES would have worked.
RodSmith
October 22, 2004
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Gladerunner wouldn't be my choice. Pumphouse Gang would be a cool name although it refers to the trees and not to the spaces between the trees. Also a book by Tom Wolfe.
bawalker
October 22, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Speaking of glades... i've looked everytime I've ridden the salamander for the old Cherry Bowl glades exit and couldn't figure out where it was. Based on the map it was after that big left hand turn. Anyway what was the reasoning for them removing cherry bowl?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 22, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The exit from Cherry Bowl is not a single path. You just drop down from the woods over the berm at the edge of Salamander, just above where Off the Wall comes in. I don't know why they closed it, but it isn't really closed. You just go & ski it, take a buddy and be careful, especially on your first run of the day. Enter and exit when nobody is looking if possible so you don't encourage others, especially kids, who may not belong there. We skied it for years before they thinned it and we ski it now that they've closed it. If you are competent and careful the patrol is unlikely to say anything. If they do, don't argue.
bawalker
October 23, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Ah, thanks. Is that land in there where the Cherry Bowl Glades is at owned by Timberline... or is that more of the national forrest as well? I'm wondering where the boundary is at for the property to figure out why more trails haven't been added over there.
Trancas
October 23, 2004
Member since 10/23/2004 🔗
2 posts
I too don't agree with Gladerunner. I am sure there had to be better suggestions out there. I liked mine a lot - "Storm Shelter Glades", but I may have been partial. Think about it...the run was in between Lightning and Thunder. Seems accurate to me?

As far as Cherry Bowl goes, I have decided to try to start on that run farther and farther up Salamander each year. Two years ago I found a small cliff out cropping just above Cherry Bowl. Make sure Salamander is clear for a good 10'-15' drop and run out on to Salamander. To enter cut through the woods just before the first curve in Salamander and you exit on the straight stretch just above the exit to Cherry Bowl.
wgo
October 25, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Where do people generally enter the Cherry Bowl Glades? I'm looking at the tline trail map now and I see where Off The Wall splits off from Salamander. How far after this split do you go before entering? I assume it must be well before Salamander switches back to skier's left, correct?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Where S splits at the beginning take the left fork. OTW splits off just before the 2 branches of S rejoin, well before "Windy Corner". to enter ChB go about 100 feet down OTW and head right into the woods. This is convenient since you are just out of sight of the kids on Salamander when you enter. It's pretty obvious when you reach the point where the woods were thinned a few years ago. There is often a set of tracks traversing in, from which people turn left and start down wherever they chose. I like to go in all the way to where the woods start to thicken up again. This is called "Boundary Line".
wgo
October 27, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Thanks so much for the info. I'll be sure to put it to good use this season!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.