9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Freeskier112389
October 7, 2004
Member since 10/7/2004 🔗
14 posts
Hello everyone,
I just moved down here from CT, i used to ski at killington and i just need some help with stuff. Ok well i need to know some good mountains around here. I'm looking for some good terrain a few glades fast lifts dont matter i'll ride a single chair for better terrain instead of a 6 pack for crappy terrain. Needs a park but doesnt have to be a good park and needs an ok lodge and some places to eat. I live in haymarket and i go to battlefield high school.
andy
October 7, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Just looked you up on mapquest & it shows you are sitting pretty for your local ski areas of Massanutton & Wintergreen.Both have 1000' verts.No glades there but some decent skiing with nice blue ridge views.They are a little moisture starved + a whole lot further south than you are used to but at times can be great.Now for snow & more of an alpine feel just keep heading west on 66 & head up to canaan vly,west virginia where there are 2 downhill areas & some serious x-country skiing.A little further south you have snowshoe west va with a summit of 4848' & a 1500 vert drop. I'm sure you will be filled in with the details in the coming posts.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 7, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
This is a family site so please watch your language and comments. Suggesting that skiing on a snowboarding only trail is a positive thing to do, especially if not caught, is the wrong advice to give DCSki readers, especially young and new sliders.
Hopefully you will get lots of advice about where to ski in this area.
The Colonel
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 8, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Welcome to the site. There are many New England transplants here--myself included. The best advice I can give you is to not discount Mid-Atlantic skiing as the "ski industry's banana belt." That's a common misperception amongst transplants. Snowmaking has become the great equalizer. What the Mid-Atlantic lacks in vertical it makes up for in more robust snowmaking. We also have more daylight in the winter and better temperatures for skiing. Finally, there's an incredible diversity of terrain here, and our season usually extends from early December to late April. I would suggest that you go through the resort profiles section carefully and then search the site for articles and forum strands about resorts that interest you.
TerpSKI
October 8, 2004
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Freeskier,

I ski frequently in NE, and I think that the Canaan Valley ski areas match up to the smaller hills in NE, especially Timberline. It has 1000 vert. but skis larger, has some glades and is the closest thing to a NE experience you will find in the Mid Atlantic. Another nice hill is 7 Springs, but will be more of a hike for you to get to than Canaan Valley.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 8, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Closeby Whitetail usually has a good park, also good parks a little further away: Seven Springs, Wisp and Massanutten. Not much of a park place but for black diamond trails and glades try Blue Knob when they have decent natural snow.
Chad
October 8, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
welcome freeskier, i live just down the street from you in gainesville. i moved here from utah a few years ago. went skiing once and threw my skis away and learned to snowboard. i make the drive up to whitetail (near hagerstown, md) often on friday nights. with a little speeding i can sometimes get there in 90 minutes. 2 hours is more the usual. whitetail has 900 feet of vertical (by far the best around here for day trips) and a pretty good terrain park. you could drive 5 hours to snowshoe for essentially the same terrain, but why bother.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 8, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Chad,
Actually there is a ski area, Wintergreen, probably closer to you than Whitetail and it has over 1000' of vertical, and now two high speed six pack chairs. And compared to any other mid-Atlantic ski area, the view from the top of this upside down ski area, of the surrounding mountains, beats all other local areas hands down. It looks more like you are out west with real mountains all around.
the Colonel
Roy
October 9, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
To add to the Colonel...

Wintergreen is a very good mountain. But I warn you, avoid at all costs on the weekend. It is a madhouse. In fact, avoid at all costs most of our local mountains on the weekend. They are all too small to handle the crowds they get. Go early Sunday morning (when most people are in church) and leave by noon.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.