PA State Park Plans for Denton Hill Ski Area Announced
5 posts
4 users
4k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Bureau of PA State Parks Director John Hallas was on hand at a public meeting held at the Denton Hill Lodge on May 23 to discuss plans for the rehabilitation of the ski resort near Coudersport in northwestern PA. There is $12 million available for a project that is estimated to cost $18 million. Plans include replacing both chairs with a new lift, new surface lifts, regrading trails, and $7.8 million for a revamped snowmaking system that covers 100% of the trails. Details can be found in this article:

http://www.bradfordera.com/news/dcnr-unveils-denton-hill-plans-at-public-meeting/article_fcee15e6-5ef7-11e8-8af1-bb876cdbde74.html

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 10, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Reminded me that I ran across mention of the short, steep section at Denton Hill a few years ago and asked about it.

http://www.dcski.com/forum/87673

Hope it works out to get Denton re-opened.

superguy
June 12, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

That would be a nice bone for that part of the state - not much skiing up that way without a haul to NY or the Poconos.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
August 17, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
there were no bids put in to operate Denton Hill.  Pa DCNR will try again to solicitate an operator but the low population base does not make it attractive.  The biggest money maker, the archery weekend has moved to Sawmill I believe.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
August 17, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I feel for all those that have struggled to bring Denton back. I hope they can find an operator but the demographics don't look good given the population loss over the decades since Denton's founding. I would love to ski Avalanche. The only time I skied Denton my skill set was not up to the task. I had not yet successfully skied Lower Wildcat at Laurel and Extrovert at Blue Knob. Given the amount of money the state seems willing to invest in the infrastructure, I'm sure Denton would attract the core skiers but would that be enough to keep the bull wheel turning? Apparently, the numbers crunchers have decided it will not. Good luck to those committed to bringing Denton back. They seem to have strong community support perhaps they can go the co-op route. I'm not sure the state would still be committed at that point.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.