Death of owner/founder of Ski Chalet, Wilbur McBay
2 posts
2 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 1, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I've never been closely associated with this chain of ski stores, but I am no stranger to their sales and services. Ski Chalet is certainly a ski-retail institution in our area and it's sad to hear that the visionary behind the place passed away on Sep 29. I wonder if he was the familiar and enthusiastic voice for so many years on their ski conditions phone report? Before there was internet I was a frequent caller of that line. More info on Wilbur McBay:
http://www.skichalet.com/main/index.cfm

From the Timberline website: Timberline Ski Resort and the entire Ski industry will miss its pioneer and supporter of American skiing, Wilbur McBay. Timberline has enjoyed many years of collaboration with Wilbur McBay and his family and staff at Ski Chalet. We have appreciated his enthusiasm, consistency, skiing innovations and promotions. Condolences to the McBay family from Timberline Four Seasons Resort staff.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 5, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I wish to send my condolences to the McBay family and all at Ski Chalet and Any Mountain Travel. I knew Wilbur from the very beginning of his business when I worked part time managing the Sears Ski Department and would send customers to Ski Chalet for expert help as circumstances warranted. Mid-Atlantic skiing, indeed, skiing anywhere, benefited from Wilbur's foresight and leadership. He was a wonderful human and we are all a little worse off now than we were at the end of September. May God Bless Wilbur McBay, his immediate family and the larger family within Ski Chalet. AMEN

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.